Forum › Legend of Korra (Show Spoilers)

joined Nov 30, 2011

Never watched the show (no real time tbh) but if this is true... WOW!!!!

The article by Vanity Fair has spoilers for those who haven't watched it but still... if true....
http://www.vanityfair.com/vf-hollywood/2014/12/korra-series-finale-recap-gay-asami

Roomie
joined Mar 9, 2014

I don't know if it's really confirmed but it sure look like it in the last episode

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

Is beyond confirmed, if not (it is!), then that's the most homosexual friendship I've seen. People say is forced, I don't think so... A kiss would be forced but the start of true love won't be, and that's what they delivered. They need each other and wow ABOUT TIME! (for nick and cartoons).

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

There are still some very strict limits on what television animation can show, to the extent that most studios have lawyers to make sure what they can get away with. There's been a lot more testing of the limits in more recent years, but I've heard enough from inside the industry to know it's still pretty restrictive. And that's not even counting the desire to market series to other countries, and stuff like overt homosexuality could easily kill a deal.

Pretty certain the latter is why Bubbeline has never been explicit on the screen, while the series creators have said they've totally dated and have a history together. We're still at a point where it's tough to show that stuff in animation.

Alice Cheshire Moderator
Dynasty_misc015
joined Nov 7, 2014

We're still at a point where it's tough to show that stuff in animation.

Which is extremely moronic when you consider most places in Europe and the US either have gay marriage or are pushing for it under the reasoning that there is absolutely nothing wrong with being gay.

joined Jan 30, 2013

Never watched the show (no real time tbh) but if this is true... WOW!!!!

The article by Vanity Fair has spoilers for those who haven't watched it but still... if true....
http://www.vanityfair.com/vf-hollywood/2014/12/korra-series-finale-recap-gay-asami

That article got linked by one of the creators himself. The storyboard artist considers it canon. Korra's voice actress ships Korrasami. Also, try telling me this is platonic.
I'm waiting for Rosenakahara to find this thread.

last edited at Dec 22, 2014 11:44AM

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

We're still at a point where it's tough to show that stuff in animation.

Which is extremely moronic when you consider most places in Europe and the US either have gay marriage or are pushing for it under the reasoning that there is absolutely nothing wrong with being gay.

Well obviously it's a stupid thing. But it remains even in places like North America stuff like this out in the open on what's still largely considered a kids' medium is still controversial, and a lot of potential markets don't necessarily want stick their necks out. So that alone limits the amount of money a show can make which can be a big concern.

Makiko
joined May 1, 2014

What can you do? I mean, shows for kids where the characters literally kill each other are more moral than having same-sex couple love each other is quite obvious. No really. Just kidding though.

In a child's mind, I find TLK is pretty much a "child-friendly" show. And those kids won't even give malice to Korrasami (unless they've got their yuri-radar awakened in an early stage).

Heck, it's pretty much quite obvious that their relationship started to bloom when Korra left the world and only talked to Asami and no one else (besides her family). Then going on a "long vacation" in a far-away-land is a bit too much for friends to be doing (unless you're going in a group). Adding to the fact that of holding hands and giving eye-to-eye contact is really, a VERY FRIENDLY way to begin your travel to the other world.

Is it just me or when Asami suddenly got rid of Tenzen (at the last part of the finale episode) was just a way to talk to Korra in solo?! :P I mean, there are other people around to settle that thing she told Tenzen. Plus, there's a certain dialogue that she told Korra at that moment, something like she wouldn't know what she (Asami) will do if she lost both her dad and Korra at the same day. Losing a friend is a sad thing, but haven't seen any show where you'll say it like your life depends on it.

last edited at Dec 22, 2014 12:30PM

Roomie
joined Mar 9, 2014

Heck, it's pretty much quite obvious that their relationship started to bloom when Korra left the world and only talked to Asami and no one else (besides her family). Then going on a "long vacation" in a far-away-land is a bit too much for friends to be doing (unless you're going in a group). Adding to the fact that of holding hands and giving eye-to-eye contact is really, a VERY FRIENDLY way to begin your travel to the other world.

If the creators really meant it, I think it started even before. I remember a scene, after the fight with the bald airbender, where Korra is in a wheelchair looking really bad and Asami is the only one trying to confort her like really hard x)

last edited at Dec 22, 2014 12:49PM

Makiko
joined May 1, 2014

If the creators really meant it, I think it started even before. I remember a scene, after the fight with the bald airbender, where Korra is in a wheelchair looking really bad and Asami is the only one trying to confort her like really hard x)

Oh.... You mean this? :3

Oh wait, erase that. I think this should do it:

last edited at Dec 22, 2014 3:53PM

7559b8a9-a380-4c4d-84c0-67d9a337a5d3
joined Jan 30, 2013

The relationship wasn't out of nowhere, towards the end and during book 3 (season 3) they were having a strong friendship but what most of the Avatar fans found strange (me included) was how strange they were acting when Korra was in the wheelchair. Now I was in the friendship wagon for the longest time even towards the end of book 3 but in book 4 "oh man was that changed completely!" the entire 4th season was filled with flags lmao and that ending made it confirmed that it was def a canon! :D and now I love the ship as much I love Verrik and Ju Lee and Elsanna, and MadoHomu, and Nanofate and and and and !!!! the ship is good!!!!
I also want to add that there was a year or was it 3 ? anyways there were years in between the ending or book 3 and the start of Korras reunion/meeting with everyone in book 4 so there were lots of time there for the what was already a strong friendship to blossom into something Romantic :D

last edited at Dec 22, 2014 5:17PM

L
joined Apr 12, 2014

yep, korrasami is canon!!! ~i'm so happy about this~

http://bryankonietzko.tumblr.com/post/105916338157/korrasami-is-canon-you-can-celebrate-it-embrace

I also want to add that there was a year or was it 3 ?

3 years! :D

joined Jan 30, 2013

I was just about to post that, but you beat me to it lol

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

We enter a new era people /holythread

joined Nov 30, 2011

Reading around the web is quite entertaining. The creators both come out and confirm that Korra and Asami are a couple but people are trying their damnedest to deny it haha. Sad and yet funny at the same time. Either way, I do hope this opens the doors for more kid friendly shows in the future and not relegated to ridiculous hints, stereotype characters, or relegated to adult/anime shows only.

Now, I just need to figure out how to watch the whole series.

Afueee
joined Apr 5, 2013

I never thought that they will do it. But they did. It's... wonderful. Kudos to the creators.

I need to start watching Korra again. I kinda left it thinking that Korrasami will never be canon... and now... oh, the happiness!!!

joined Mar 25, 2013

http://bryankonietzko.tumblr.com/post/105916338157/korrasami-is-canon-you-can-celebrate-it-embrace

Huh. Well that changes my intention of whether I'm going to watch it or not. (read: I will, now only if I had the time xD)

Now, I just need to figure out how to watch the whole series.

Torrents brah (:

last edited at Dec 23, 2014 7:36PM

7559b8a9-a380-4c4d-84c0-67d9a337a5d3
joined Jan 30, 2013

You can watch it at any anime website honestly, I watched in gogoanime.com

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

You can only enjoy the majestuosity of Korrasami in glorious 1080p masterace ...!! nah but really, start from 0 just for the Korrasami ending, that's not something I would do, I was totally impressed by the last chapter, it has so many incredible moments. If there's something I could agree with the haters is that now the series might be remembered for just that but it was awesome altogether (especially the last 2 seasons).

67763073_p3
joined Dec 18, 2013

Just catched up with the series, awesome finale. And Korra and Asami relationship was developed perfectly, easily one of the best romances on television.

Now with the endgame revealed is pretty fun to see the series again to catch all the foreshadowing for their romance, one thing that I found interesting (although it could mean nothing) is that when Korra and Asami met at the restaurant Asami's reading a magazine with two women on the cover. An engineer and a mechanic working on an engine, subtle hint about Asami's preferences?

last edited at Dec 24, 2014 12:04AM

Z%20ss
joined Oct 15, 2013

Reading around the web is quite entertaining. The creators both come out and confirm that Korra and Asami are a couple but people are trying their damnedest to deny it haha. Sad and yet funny at the same time.

Theres ppl who deny NanoFate, so I am not really surprised about anything else.

joined Nov 30, 2011

You can only enjoy the majestuosity of Korrasami in glorious 1080p masterace ...!! nah but really, start from 0 just for the Korrasami ending, that's not something I would do, I was totally impressed by the last chapter, it has so many incredible moments. If there's something I could agree with the haters is that now the series might be remembered for just that but it was awesome altogether (especially the last 2 seasons).

Oh I intend to watch the show to watch the show. Asami and Korra getting together is a total plus! I waited until The Last Airbender was over before I marathoned the show and I found Zuko's story to be one of the best stories I have seen in any show. I plan on marathoning Korra now that it's over since I had no time to watch it when it was airing.

Theres ppl who deny NanoFate, so I am not really surprised about anything else.

Don't they come from different shows though?? Also, a LOT of people were not paying attention to the various hints throughout the show and just claim it as something forced. Ironically, many of these people would go wild if Korra developed a similar relationship with a male character.

Witch
joined Feb 24, 2013

I'm so glad I waited for 2 years before watching this show. Damn. The story itself is good, Korra herself is such an inspiration, and yes, Korrasami's relationship growth throughout season 3 and 4 is subtle yet sublime!

And oh, goddamn fans took it up a notch

Roomie
joined Mar 9, 2014

^ Haha I'm sure that's what happened x)

Webp.net-resizeimage%20(1)
joined Apr 19, 2012

^^ That's pretty much what happened. No doubt about it. Haha.

Seriously though, I'm so happy about this, I could pretty much burst.
So many happy tears were shed that day.

To reply you must either login or sign up.