Forum › Their Story discussion

machigai kouhai Uploader
Wympw_yh
NHFH Scanlations
joined Sep 10, 2014

Why do the girls call her Xiao Jing when she's almost as tall as a guy?

Because in Chinese calling someone "xiao" is kind of equivalent of "chan" in Japanese. It's not there for size but rather a term of endearment.

Tuna%20copy
joined Nov 7, 2014

Oh jeez, so short xD
Love this though.

joined Aug 4, 2014

Just as great as before but that update was so short it literally made me cringe ;_; I was like "oh maaan, I just started reading!".

Z%20ss
joined Oct 15, 2013

Don't know if this has been mentioned before, but the scan group has some good cosplay of these characters on their tumblr:

http://yaoi-blcd.tumblr.com/tagged/their-story

Nice :o

Is this series popular outside of dynasty? (Already saw a fanart uploaded here) Is the artist popular?

Rsz_11rsz_029_001_08
joined Jul 8, 2013

I think this is the first story to break 30k+ views with one update - and such short segments too!

I love the humor and realistic style this takes, and how Sun Jing has lots of different friends that don't have an issue with her interest in another girl, and in fact try to help her out/support her. Can't wait for the next part!

last edited at Dec 8, 2014 1:15AM

Soo%20nice
joined May 10, 2013

It's scary how this series was popular so fast, that's awesome

Commandershepard13
1071350_639308102760295_1399509523_o
joined Mar 24, 2014

Because in Chinese calling someone "xiao" is kind of equivalent of "chan" in Japanese. It's not there for size but rather a term of endearment.

Were did you hear this? As far as I know, Xiao means many things in Chinese (Surname, type of flute, rank used by field officers in the Chinese military, a legendary creature and the name of a river) but not a term of endearment, unless its a slang term I never heard of before.

joined Nov 11, 2010

^ It isn't like native speakers are gonna be particularly rare? In the first place the specific 'xiao' being talked about is the one written 小, which typically means 'small'. When prefixed to a person's name it does have a very similar sense to "chan" or "kun" in Japanese; you'll see it used as a term of endearment from parents towards children, between people who've known each other since they were young, or between peers/coworkers sort of indicating a subordinate or kouhai relationship.

(Take my Chinese fluency with a grain of salt, as I didn't grow up over there, but the above is my sense of it.)

Eraser-for-really-big-mistakes
joined Jul 21, 2013

^ It isn't like native speakers are gonna be particularly rare? In the first place the specific 'xiao' being talked about is the one written 小, which typically means 'small'. When prefixed to a person's name it does have a very similar sense to "chan" or "kun" in Japanese; you'll see it used as a term of endearment from parents towards children, between people who've known each other since they were young, or between peers/coworkers sort of indicating a subordinate or kouhai relationship.

(Take my Chinese fluency with a grain of salt, as I didn't grow up over there, but the above is my sense of it.)

As a native speaker of Chinese i say yea that's what xiao basically mean

last edited at Dec 8, 2014 11:41PM

Commandershepard13
joined Mar 24, 2014

Ah, thank you.

Commandershepard13
joined Mar 24, 2014

I have to ask, are you actually from China? Or are you from another Chinese speaking region of the world, like Singapore?
Just curious is all.

last edited at Dec 9, 2014 5:59AM

Me%20toooo
joined Feb 9, 2014

i feel bad that i made this icon of sun jing now

machigai kouhai Uploader
Wympw_yh
NHFH Scanlations
joined Sep 10, 2014

Were did you hear this? As far as I know, Xiao means many things in Chinese (Surname, type of flute, rank used by field officers in the Chinese military, a legendary creature and the name of a river) but not a term of endearment, unless its a slang term I never heard of before.

It isn't? SHIT WHAT HAVE I BEEN DOING LIVING IN CHINA FOR THE FIRST 14 YEARS OF MY LIFE?!

Webp.net-resizeimage%20(1)
joined Apr 19, 2012

I have to ask, are you actually from China? Or are you from another Chinese speaking region of the world, like Singapore?
Just curious is all.

I'm not the OP of that first comment, but I'm also a fluent native Chinese speaker in both Mandarin and Cantonese (family is from Hong Kong to be specific) and I can attest that "xiao" or 小, paired with (usually the last part of their given name) like, 小明 (Little Ming) is pretty much an endearing nickname. So, basically that Chinese equivalents for the Japanese -chan or -kun.

Seeing as she referred herself by her full name, "Sun Jing" or 孙璟, we can see that the "Xiao Jing" or 小璟 is what her classmates/friends call her (as her nickname). Roughly translated would be something like Jing-chan (but 小 is pretty gender neutral, so technically it can be Jing-kun too.) Interesting to note is that only the girls/friends call her Xiao Jing, but the boys call her by her full name.

Also, a quick look on Wikipedia (which is where you got your definitions of "Xiao") will show you the following:

Xiao:
Surname = 萧 Traditional /肖 Simplified
Type of Flute = 簫 Traditional / 箫 Simplified
Military Rank = 校 (Which is really Jiao)
Xiao County (Xiaoxian) = 萧县
Mount Xiao/Yao = 崤山
Xiao River = 潇水
Xiao (myth) = 囂

But Xiao Jing (or Sun Jing)'s classmate call her: 小璟

It's an endearing nickname like "Little Susie". Easier to compare it to the Japanese -chan and -kun though.

Edit: Sorry for the long post. Just wanted to clear it up for everyone.
Having said that... newwww chapter/snippets have been posted!

last edited at Dec 12, 2014 3:47AM

Z%20ss
joined Oct 15, 2013

i feel bad that i made this icon of sun jing now

Nice xD

Having said that... newwww chapter/snippets have been posted!

Saw em, sucks that this series is kinda messy with how imgs are being released (not using chapters for clear divisions).

That bathroom part tho, haha :D

last edited at Dec 12, 2014 9:47AM

OrangePekoe Admin
Animesher.com_tamako-market-midori-tokiwa-deviantart-950416a
joined Mar 20, 2013

In fact, you could probably remove the chapter numbering altogether and just have "Their Story" and "Their Story [(Date) Update]".

I can say without reservation we'll be doing this from now on, thanks for the suggestion!

No problem! I know Dynasty's not set up to deal with a series like this, so I can appreciate the challenges in figuring out how to present it.

Officially tried out. We'll see how it goes.

Incidentally, I'd thought it might be nice to add a link to the artist's Weibo, where it looks like the comics are actually being uploaded, but I couldn't figure out if there was a way to get it to just show just posts for "Their Story" or even how to get it to order posts chronologically, so I gave up (it really seemed to want me to have an account).

I usually like to think that a Pixiv link on the artist's page is enough - their Weibo is just one more click away. That said, I can add some links to the series page as well, once I figure it out (time to learn Chinese).

Is this series popular outside of dynasty? (Already saw a fanart uploaded here) Is the artist popular?

It got good pub on Imgur and Reddit, so yeah, I think I'd say pretty popular. I don't know anything about the artist's popularity, though.

last edited at Dec 12, 2014 1:36PM

joined Nov 23, 2014

Awwwwwww... sun jing so cute and qiu tong slightly smiled

My_dork__by_vnixxir-d72u531
joined Jun 21, 2013

Misunderstandings...misunderstandings everywhere...
These two...shipping...so hard...

Z%20ss
joined Oct 15, 2013

Page 1 is such a lol.

Also the sequence of panels for that smile on the last page is so cute
http://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/their_story_12122014_update#5

Screenshot_2016-12-27-13-58-01-1
joined Mar 23, 2014

OH MY GOD THIS IS SOOO ADORABLE. THANK YOU MADOKA, GOD OF YURI, FOR GIVING ME THIS SUPER CUTE CHAPTER AS AN EARLY CHRISTMAS PRESENT

Makiko
joined May 1, 2014

I'm totally fangirling right now! XD

last edited at Dec 12, 2014 2:28PM

Jackavi
joined Feb 23, 2014

I love this, need moar

joined Aug 1, 2013

With every chapter I fall more in love.

Me%20toooo
joined Feb 9, 2014

Oh man the humor on each panel, always gets me.

To reply you must either login or sign up.