Forum › A "small" topic for video games

Img_20220214_023902-min
joined May 10, 2014

The "small" just means that I dunno how many people will actually use it or how long it will be. The topic is obviously for posting anything related to gaming but it can be used for things like yu-gi-oh! or when a new nanoha figurine comes out.

Please do not spam gaming news or post walkthroughs this isn't Gamesp*t but small things like "how do I get 10 KOs in cruel smash!? I'm getting rocked!" are fine. Community stuff like "hey let's battle in Pkm X/Y" "Let's play League of Legends I'm the best evar!" is good.

I think we can put VNs like SonoHana here why not? remember when there's yuri/subtext in a game post it here and I'll jump right into it.(We already started a discussion about this I'll post a link to that if I remember what the topic was called)

Ok I can't think of anything else right now let's be friendly and please no swatting! ;) geez I sound like a HUGE nerd lol

Img_20220214_023902-min
joined May 10, 2014

Actual post: I got the new smash bros for 3ds and I can recommend it to everyone but I'm soooo bad at it right now that I'm NOT going online yet I don't want to show up in youtube as the "biggest noob in the game" I may start going online tomorrow so anyone who has the game can challenge me anytime.

Konami
joined Jan 18, 2014

I got smash bros too.Its so good I cant stop playing it lol. I dont think I'm bad at it but I'm definitely not good.(we should play sometime)

last edited at Oct 6, 2014 1:09AM

joined Nov 30, 2011

Alien Isolation looks friggen amazing.

Dark_Tzitzimine
67763073_p3
joined Dec 18, 2013

Alien Isolation looks friggen amazing.

The first half hour is pretty atmospheric but is easy to get lost and the controls certainly aren't the best for combat. I'm hoping it doesn't come crashing down when I met the alien.

Other than that, I'm counting the days for Shinovi VERSUS release. Just 8 days to go!

Roomfortwo
joined Feb 11, 2014

For those who enjoys VN but don't know enough japanese to understand the japanese ones, there's a couple with some yuri in them that are pretty nice to play and that I recommend :

-Long live the queen : a "princess maker" game, you play as a 15 yo princess that need to prepare to be crowned queen. Which means taking classes in various topics and, hopefully, survives the many accidents, attempts and other mishaps than can put an early stop to her reign before it even actually starts. If you play your cards right, you can end up with a yuri ending.

-Magical Diary : you play as a 16yo whitch attending a magical school. You choose which classes to attend to learn spells and succeed the tests along the year (or fail them) all the while making friends and pursuing love if you want so. Two of the potiential love interests are girls. Strongly inspired by harry potter in the setting and some characters. Not as unforgiving as Long live the Queen as you can only lose by getting expelled and has a nice replay value.

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

Speaking of western VNs, don't bother with Planet Stronghold. The sole yuri route ends up with teasing and "we can't have a relationship or even a kiss until this is all over", i.e. offscreen after the game ends. But the het routes, a female lead will hop right in bed with them so screw that noise.

As to what I'm actually playing lately, I started a F2P MMO lately called Wakfu, produced in French and successor to the earlier European-made MMO Dofus. It's similar visually to stuff like Ragnarok Online and Maple Story, and pretty fun overall although there are some kinks that still need working out. Very cute animations though, inventive character classes and a lot of funny stuff (one weapon is the Bridge Club, I mean c'mon).

Eagerly awaiting Civilization: Beyond Earth though. Windows version is this month, and hopefully Mac and Linux won't be much longer, can't wait!!

230px-ray_the_animation
joined Feb 2, 2013

how is stronghold apart the yuri aspect? i loved loren the amazon princess (i think there was a similar post some times ago)
i'm always looking for turn-based rpg for pc, The legend of heroes: trial in the sky is a great game, with a good pseudo-incest romance, Child of light is a masterpiece, with really great drawing and text (i'm a squaresoft fan)
the recent Banner saga, Divinity:original sin and Shadowrun return are eating all my time.
i played dofus (it isn't f2p), is really fun but i can't play party based games when i'm working

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

how is stronghold apart the yuri aspect? i loved loren the amazon princess (i think there was a similar post some times ago)
i'm always looking for turn-based rpg for pc, The legend of heroes: trial in the sky is a great game, with a good pseudo-incest romance, Child of light is a masterpiece, with really great drawing and text (i'm a squaresoft fan)
the recent Banner saga, Divinity:original sin and Shadowrun return are eating all my time.
i played dofus (it isn't f2p), is really fun but i can't play party based games when i'm working

Honestly Planetary Stronghold isn't that fantastic even aside from the yuri-teasing. It's okay at best in terms of story, and some of the gameplay is okay but not as good as Loren.

Thing with Wakfu is you can make a party with NPC sidekicks if you want so you can go at your own pace soloing. It's a nifty idea, that basically the strongest ogre got hold of the Dofus eggs and took over the world. But then his wife cheated on him and in his sorrow he drowned the world. Now people are rebuilding on the remaining islands.

I really wish I could play some of those under Linux though (well, I've got Shadowrun Returns). I know there's a port coming soonish for Transistor and Divinity: Original Sin (hopefully by the end of the year?), but I've got no such hopes for Child of Light.

joined Mar 23, 2013

I really wish I could play some of those under Linux though (well, I've got Shadowrun Returns).

Using a system that has low percentage of users ( compared to Windows ) has always been such a detriment to gaming, although with WINE and a myriad of other options, provided you are a bit savvy ( which if you're using Linux, you should be in the first place ) you can get something going.

I know there's a port coming soonish for Transistor and Divinity: Original Sin (hopefully by the end of the year?), but I've got no such hopes for Child of Light.

D:OS Is a solid 8.5 for me, in my heart it's a 9.0ish but there's just a few bugs, UI clunkiness and a few other things ( pacing issues )that just stops it short of being an awesomeomfgbbqx game. Luckily for me, I still play old RPGs so I'm used to some degree of "unpolishness" but for newer gamers this can be a big turn-off.
All in all, a great game that mixes the old and the new.

There's been a resurgence(upcoming) of RPGs on all platforms and I'm happy for it.
Next month is Dragon Age:Cisquisition, let's just hope devs have spent half the time on their game as they spent on their dating sim policies ( heh ). This game will probably be the last chance I'm giving to bioware/EA games ( I'm such a masochist ).

If all goes well, I'll have Project Eternity coupled with The Witcher 3 in Q1 2015 and then those will probably last me enough till Torment: Tides of Numenera in Q4 2015 ( again if it's released as scheduled ).

And then maybe FFXV boys trek in the wilderness will be released? Who knows really.

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

I really wish I could play some of those under Linux though (well, I've got Shadowrun Returns).

Using a system that has low percentage of users ( compared to Windows ) has always been such a detriment to gaming, although with WINE and a myriad of other options, provided you are a bit savvy ( which if you're using Linux, you should be in the first place ) you can get something going.

Steam has over 700 games for Linux (over 100 of which are in my library, heh), with more every day including some AAA games in the pipeline (the new Civ, Borderlands series, Witcher series, Van Helsing series, etc.) so it's not like things aren't changing.

I find emulation is hit or miss, honestly. I managed to play the entirety of Skyrim through Wine though, and played Civ V until they came out with a port earlier this year. Although like I said, there are enough really good games coming and already out that I've got plenty to play already.

230px-ray_the_animation
joined Feb 2, 2013

Thing with Wakfu is you can make a party with NPC sidekicks if you want so you can go at your own pace soloing.

when i played dofus, wakfu was newborn, and i didn't understand the meaning, it seem too similar, but perhaps i was wrong, and now i'm curious,
i forgot transistor, i still have it installed because i want to replay it, and i rarely replay videogames (Red is one of the best games character i ever seen),
i understand the "linus-mac" problem, i want to play some console game (final fantasy, tale of xilla saga and similar) but i'm at home 1 our at day, then i never considered it; i'm really happy Child of light was for pc

joined Mar 23, 2013

I find emulation is hit or miss, honestly. I managed to play the entirety of Skyrim through Wine though, and played Civ V until they came out with a port earlier this year.

Few years ago my desktop decided to not play nice and since I was broke I was left with a macbook for some time, there's always a way to play stuff, just a question of will and patience! There's definitely an incredible amount of titles now so that's cool.

Emulation is cool though... SNES, NES, PSX etc, etc... All dem games.

Although like I said, there are enough really good games coming and already out that I've got plenty to play already.

Funny you should say that, I think there's not enough! Back in 2012 I quit MMOs for good and stopped playing the private WoW server I was playing at the time and suddenly I had so much time with so little to do!
Two years later and after my "let's play as much games as possible, I missed a lot" spree I'm always searching for more of them.

last edited at Oct 6, 2014 12:20PM

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

Emulation is cool though... SNES, NES, PSX etc, etc... All dem games.

The PCSX2 emulator still isn't quite there yet, but it ain't bad.

Two years later and after my "let's play as much games as possible, I missed a lot" spree I'm always searching for more of them.

Well, my big waits right now are for Crea and Maia, both early access games on Steam, to get completed (they both came out with updates this past week), Civilization: Beyond Earth, Wander (a non-combat, exploration-based MMO), Hyper Light Drifter and A Night In the Woods, and maybe Wasteland 2 if the price drops a bit. Maybe on the Xmas Steam sale.

Oh, and Dreamfall Chapters looks good, I liked The Longest Journey a lot so more stuff in the same world(s) is promising.

joined Jul 5, 2014

For those who enjoys VN but don't know enough japanese to understand the japanese ones, there's a couple with some yuri in them that are pretty nice to play and that I recommend :

-Long live the queen : a "princess maker" game, you play as a 15 yo princess that need to prepare to be crowned queen. Which means taking classes in various topics and, hopefully, survives the many accidents, attempts and other mishaps than can put an early stop to her reign before it even actually starts. If you play your cards right, you can end up with a yuri ending.

-Magical Diary : you play as a 16yo whitch attending a magical school. You choose which classes to attend to learn spells and succeed the tests along the year (or fail them) all the while making friends and pursuing love if you want so. Two of the potiential love interests are girls. Strongly inspired by harry potter in the setting and some characters. Not as unforgiving as Long live the Queen as you can only lose by getting expelled and has a nice replay value.

Some other good VN's I'd recommend would be Aoi Shiro and Rising Angels: Reborn. But for the love of God, do not play the first game in the Rising Angels series, you'll want to kill yourself after the end. You can get RA:R on steam by the way.

Both good games.

Anyone have any good yuri VN's they can recommend to me, would be appreciated? <- With translations, I don't read Japanese well.

As for other games I play atm, just VN's and CS: GO, though I suck terribly at it.

last edited at Oct 6, 2014 12:33PM

OrangePekoe Admin
Animesher.com_tamako-market-midori-tokiwa-deviantart-950416a
joined Mar 20, 2013

But for the love of God, do not play the first game in the Rising Angels series, you'll want to kill yourself after the end.

Possibly the hardest I've ever taken an ending. It was so bad a little crybaby like me couldn't even cry. I just spent the rest of the day in a daze, repeating "It's not worth it, it's not worth it" until eventually I went to sleep and forgot all about it.

All I play right now is Saki. And sometimes sports games, because after years of being forced to be my brother's playmate, I found they weren't so bad after all.

last edited at Oct 6, 2014 12:42PM

joined Jul 5, 2014

But for the love of God, do not play the first game in the Rising Angels series, you'll want to kill yourself after the end.

Possibly the hardest I've ever taken an ending. It was so bad a little crybaby like me couldn't even cry. I just spent the rest of the day in a daze, repeating "It's not worth it, it's not worth it" until eventually I went to sleep and forgot all about it.

All I play right now is Saki. And sometimes sports games, because after years of being forced to be my brother's playmate, I found they weren't so bad after all.

Yeah, that ending was just a kick in the face. I hated it so much I raged and emailed the developer! He/she replied with an apology and agreed that they were re-doing the game in their spare time and burning that ending.

Thankfully the sequel was fantastic and the yuri was nice too. I'm looking forward to the next installment.

last edited at Oct 6, 2014 12:46PM

OrangePekoe Admin
joined Mar 20, 2013

Yeah, that ending was just a kick in the face. I hated it so much I raged and emailed the developer! He/she replied with an apology and agreed that they were re-doing the game in their spare time and burning that ending.

Thankfully the sequel was fantastic and the yuri was nice too. I'm looking forward to the next installment.

It was definitely the first time I ever said something like, "I will never support this studio again!" But after chatting with the author, I decided against that after all. Haven't played the sequel yet though.

Anyone have any good yuri VN's they can recommend to me, would be appreciated? <- With translations, I don't read Japanese well.

Loren the Amazon Princess has already been mentioned. Worth it if you don't mind RPG stuff.

Nami has done a couple really short - and really cute - VNs.

Anaheim Girl's Love Story got a translation, but it's not in the usual way, and I haven't played it.

If you haven't played it, Lonely Yuri is short, sweet, and a little erotic. Minakata Sunao did the art for it.

last edited at Oct 6, 2014 1:13PM

joined Jul 5, 2014

It was definitely the first time I ever said something like, "I will never support this studio again!" But after chatting with the author, I decided against that after all. Haven't played the sequel yet though.

Loren the Amazon Princess has already been mentioned. Worth it if you don't mind RPG stuff.

Nami has done a couple really short - and really cute - VNs.

Anaheim Girl's Love Story got a translation, but it's not in the usual way, and I haven't played it.

If you haven't played it, Lonely Yuri is short, sweet, and a little erotic. Minakata Sunao did the art for it.

I was going to check out Lonely Yuri a while back, but I head that it was kinda bittersweet so I avoided it.

230px-ray_the_animation
joined Feb 2, 2013

it isn't a VN but is a plot-driven game : To the moon, the only game i cried at the end

OrangePekoe Admin
joined Mar 20, 2013

I was going to check out Lonely Yuri a while back, but I head that it was kinda bittersweet so I avoided it.

It's pretty melancholic, but I don't think I'd call it bittersweet. All the bad stuff is brushed over pretty quickly, and the ending is definitely a good one. Though if you're one to avoid the Drama or Aaaangst tags, it might not be for you..?

last edited at Oct 6, 2014 1:35PM

joined Jul 5, 2014

It's pretty melancholic, but I don't think I'd call it bittersweet. All the bad stuff is brushed over pretty quickly, and the ending is definitely a good one. Though if you're one to avoid the Drama or Aaaangst tags, it might not be for you..?

I don't mind them so long as there's a good resolution and it's not added just for the sake of melodrama. I'll give it a shot :)

Dynasty%20necromancer
joined Mar 6, 2014

My Pre-Order of Smash Bros still isn't here yet... But at least i can use the time to continue my quest of 9.0'ing Kid Icarus Uprising and finally defeated chapter 13, my mortal enemy...

In general my favorite franchises are Metroid, Ace Combat, Devil May Cry, Kingdom Hearts and Sonic, top 2 would have to be Metroid Prime 2 and God Hand

OrangePekoe Admin
joined Mar 20, 2013

Also this is probably the right place to ask...is it okay if I don't like SonoHana?

Yes.

Those are the only VNs I've tried and I don't really "get" them. Are there VNs/yuri games out there that are not like SonoHana?

I guess that depends on what you mean by not "getting" them??

joined Jul 5, 2014

Also this is probably the right place to ask...is it okay if I don't like SonoHana?

Yes.

Whew that's a load off.

Those are the only VNs I've tried and I don't really "get" them. Are there VNs/yuri games out there that are not like SonoHana?

I guess that depends on what you mean by not "getting" them??

Well the stories were nothing special but mostly I expected them to have a lot more player input.

SonoHana games play out more like KN's to be honest.

But still, it depends on what type of VN you want, there are ones with more route options, then there are those will actual gameplay elements, RPG etc.

Aoi Shiro is a great game with a lot of routes to take and a good story that changes a lot depending on the route you choose. It has I think 5 main routes, with 56 possible endings.

If you want something with gameplay, check out something like Loren Amazon Princess or Magical Diary or Long Live The Queen.

This topic has been locked.