Forum › Yuri Kuma Arashi discussion

Heavy%20cruiser%20160
joined Apr 27, 2013

Here's the metaphoric alphabet I captured from the first chapter

A lot of that looks reasonable, but I think it's a bit early yet to have any kind of certainty about these things

Also, there's the issue of it having some connection to Penguindrum, which had a different take on some of those concepts

%e5%b0%8f%e8%88%94
joined May 22, 2013

WOAH! Ikuhara, you rock as always!
Here's the metaphoric alphabet I captured from the first chapter. It should help you decipher the meaning behind the lines.

arche = beginning, origin
telos = end, purpose, intention, goal

be transparent = to be not needed = to have no telos (purpose) in life, no reason to live = to be normal = to not stand out

bear = someone outstanding, out of norm, deviant = gay/lesbian = someone extraordinary = someone special
bear = beginning and end of the world = outside the world's shell (watch Utena for the reference) = outside the boundaries of the world as the person perceives it = outside the norms set by a society

to be eaten by a bear = to have the world's shell broken/to break the world's shell = to see the boundaries of the current world, step outside, discover a new world for oneself = coming out = accepting yourself for who you are

to find someone = to find someone despite them being transparent = to find someone special = to make someone needed = to create a reason for living for someone = to become a soul mate for someone = to see someone standing out, not normal, someone from the end of the world = to love someone

H.E.L.L.U.V.A. G.O.O.D. J.O.B.

Hinageshi_icon
joined Jul 20, 2013

Lol, so are there going to be actual magical girls in this or not? I'm already getting excited.

Utena%20rose%20white%20200x200
joined Mar 28, 2014

A lot of that looks reasonable, but I think it's a bit early yet to have any kind of certainty about these things

Of course, this is nothing but my personal speculation. And even though it's based on quite the analysis of Ikuhara's earlier works, it's still only one chapter that we have read. True. Besides, as far as I can tell we don't even have all characters introduced yet. So all I wrote above should be taken with a grain of salt, naturally.

Also, there's the issue of it having some connection to Penguindrum, which had a different take on some of those concepts

There's no issue with connection to Penguindrum - it has never been announced to exist anywhere in the first case. The only "connection" we have now is Ikuhara's picture blog at http://penguinbear.com, where he up till now has only been uploading production news relevant to both mangas - Penguindrum and Yuri Kuma Arashi Storm. And both are published in the same magazine.

Well, there's another notable similarity, which is the use of the "transparency" symbol, that was introduced in Mawaru Penguindrum (or at least I don't remember it being used in Utena). And this definitely makes sense as both series seem to share the same theme ruled by that "transparent" metaphor - being unneeded, being rejected by society. However, unlike MP, that focused more on family and parents sin aspects (should entire family be held responsible/punished for the sin of a single family member), YKA brings homosexuality to the front. That's one reason why I think the family aspect may rise in YKA too - not all parents are willing to accept deviant sexuality of their children. But well, this really is speculation of higher order than everything I wrote above.

BTW, here's the Japanese summary for ch.2:
http://yuuki101percent.hatenablog.com/entry/2014/03/29/195615

UPD:
Now that I keep thinking about it... MP also had bears in it... There were two huge ones (dark and white) in the PotC world. The white one represented the end of the world, since this is where PotC kept appearing from. The dark one most likely represented the beginning of the world - this is where the guys appeared every time. There were as well tiny versions of those, which were used in the last episodes by Sanetoshi. And there was at least one in the shop where Himari looked for threads (ep.17) - san-chan knitted a bear and a penguin. But then again, it pretty much points to the fact that PotC, Sanetoshi, and the guys were from the outside of the world from the very start.

last edited at Apr 1, 2014 8:09PM

joined Mar 28, 2014

still no new chapter T__T

Images
joined May 1, 2014

ohh my god ive just found the most dangerous animal in the world!... the killer alien pandas! i knew they were real!! :)
well first chapter was border line wtf im reading tag, as i have no idea where the alien panda bears from the moon coming to earth, possibly cause it lost its way maybe, so that it can meet a lonely young girl to procreate with shit came from (i take full responsibilty on this spolier but cant seem to figure out how to use the spoiler function so if anyone would be so kind to explain how it works thatd be swell)? as i have no idea if that other girl was a alien bear in disguise and lied or that.. that bear shit was the other girl being crazy ^^. Well i rate this 4/5 beers on the crazy richter scale and recommend to people who want to read something rather weird.

last edited at May 1, 2014 10:00AM

joined Mar 28, 2014

well, if anyone's interested, here's the 2nd chapter in Chinese... too sad not even Japanese raws are available anywhere...
http://www.0055.net/manhua/10465/list_118470.htm

there's a Japanese summary for it here:
http://yuuki101percent.hatenablog.com/entry/2014/03/29/195615

In fact, if you understand Japanese, you can find summaries for the first 4 chapters. Ubfortunately my Japanese is too poor to translate it to something readable... so... we can only wait and hope...

but the 2nd chapter is SO cute

New%20pic2
joined Jul 6, 2012

I don't think words can express how much I loved this

joined Mar 28, 2014

3rd chapter in Chinese:
http://www.0055.net/manhua/10465/list_120842.htm
it's ubercute again... and you can try reading it in Engrish with google translate and a camera on your mobile phone

joined Mar 28, 2014

So the anime for this series is confirmed! Can't believe to watch Morishima's art animated!
http://yurikuma.jp/

Dynasty%20necromancer
joined Mar 6, 2014

So the anime for this series is confirmed! Can't believe to watch Morishima's art animated!
http://yurikuma.jp/

The anime was confirmed before the manga, the manga is like a adaption that arrived before, wouldn't be surprised if the character design for the anime is different
Edit: Welp never mind, just read that it'll adapt her character design... I don't like this...

last edited at Aug 24, 2014 2:13PM

Tumblr_nsb2wsngkl1t0bs5do3_250
joined Jul 2, 2013

Welp never mind, just read that it'll adapt her character design... I don't like this...

What don't you like about it? Ikuhara Kunihiko is a great director and he's very much like Morishima Akiko.

Dynasty%20necromancer
joined Mar 6, 2014

Welp never mind, just read that it'll adapt her character design... I don't like this...

What don't you like about it? Ikuhara Kunihiko is a great director and he's very much like Morishima Akiko.

I mean that i don't like Morishima's art at all
Yeah that's just me though and i'm ready to let it slide if the direction is good, but more than anything i'm afraid that the characters will have really stale facial expressions, Morishima doesn't have much variety at all when it comes to faces and it would be more jarring on a animated work

Av
joined Nov 12, 2013

I mean that i don't like Morishima's art at all
Yeah that's just me though and i'm ready to let it slide if the direction is good, but more than anything i'm afraid that the characters will have really stale facial expressions, Morishima doesn't have much variety at all when it comes to faces and it would be more jarring on a animated work

Agree with above.
I'm anticipating this anime for a long time, and I can't wait to have another Kunihiko anime made, specially one with such an interesting set as Yuri Kuma Arashi, but Morishima's art is pretty underwhelming in my opinion. Still, with the fact a yuri-centered anime by Kunihiko is getting animated I wouldn't mind if it was animated with cray.

joined Mar 12, 2014

At last, Morishima's work got animated. First chapter was cute, I think the reason Yurishiro wanted to meet Kureha behind the school coz she wanted to confessed but noticed that Kureha was thinking something else

Tumblr_nsb2wsngkl1t0bs5do3_250
joined Jul 2, 2013

Anime to air Winter 2015, so almost 3 months from now.

joined Mar 28, 2014

i'm afraid that the characters will have really stale facial expressions, Morishima doesn't have much variety at all when it comes to faces and it would be more jarring on a animated work

I think I know what you mean. But I also think this works quite well for Ikuhara's directing. He's considered to be Dezaki's (and hence Tezuka follower) after all, which is like "more impact with less animation" or something along these lines. Besides, I'm pretty sure he's got enough faces from Morishima to deliver the animated characters he's comfortable with. I also have a wild guess, that the following work of hers might have actually been the "ability trial test":
http://goddamnit-ikuhara.tumblr.com/post/87986414049/akiko-morishima-childrens-dreams-re-upload
Unfortunately, I don't know the password - it didn't have one back then in June :(

OrangePekoe Admin
Animesher.com_tamako-market-midori-tokiwa-deviantart-950416a
joined Mar 20, 2013

http://goddamnit-ikuhara.tumblr.com/post/87986414049/akiko-morishima-childrens-dreams-re-upload
Unfortunately, I don't know the password - it didn't have one back then in June :(

.../u/ to the rescue?

last edited at Sep 16, 2014 7:00PM

joined Jun 12, 2012

Random flasher with his pants down in Watch Dogs tier attire...okay then...

last edited at Sep 16, 2014 7:07PM

Z%20ss
joined Oct 15, 2013

This some kind of magical girl series?... God, I hope not... detest that crap, along with idol stuff. I am kinda lost when reading this. Whats with the bears?...

joined Mar 12, 2014

Maybe there's something about the bears that they will explain to us soon. I wonder if they gonna show that perverted old man in the anime? Shit was scary!

Konami
joined Jan 18, 2014

ooh new tag

joined Jul 8, 2013

There's airheads...and then there's this MC.

Ushi-nooo
joined Aug 20, 2014

I forgot how the first chapter went, so I just read it again...

And it's as funny as it was the first time! She thought she was an alien bear... -PFFT- I'm still laughing! I love this!

To reply you must either login or sign up.