Forum › A "small" topic for video games

Best Mangaka Rohan
25dfc3e30a88f17394a8d2037430b766
joined Dec 13, 2016

^

I installed that one. Though i wouldn't buy Mass Effect. But still useful to keep the driver around.

Thanks for the advice though.

joined Mar 21, 2017

I thought others say they did? I could have made an assumption though.

last edited at Mar 22, 2017 10:13PM

Dynasty%20necromancer
joined Mar 6, 2014

Wait, i had no idea there were a new driver, that Mass Effect one actually improves Nier?
When i said fix i was referring to the "Fixed Automata Resolution" which added an option to adjust Global Lightning, which by default is set to ridiculous ammount, turning it off alone made my fps increase by 20

joined Mar 21, 2017

I have no idea if it fixes it tbh i just assumed since Nvidia release a new driver when new games come out that there was one for Nier which may have optimised it better and that that was what you were talking about.

last edited at Mar 23, 2017 3:06AM

LumberingCrane
Djltnk3ucaamfms
joined Apr 12, 2016

Well the visual novel known as Mahoyo was a waste of my time. Nice visual effects, but that's about it really. I just can't get past the monologue going so in-depth into what characters are feeling and thinking while at the same time those characters that it's trying to present always end up being trope laden and can be easily boiled down to usual anime character archetypes. That dissonance between the two is something that really gets on my nerves since the flowery and overly descriptive monologue makes me expect some really good character interaction, dialogue, and development but I get the most mediocre of characters and constant disappointment and ARGH I can't force myself to play this anymore.

VNDB says that there's no romance here, and while that may be technically true, there's also so many blatantly purposely placed shippable moments between the girls and the one guy. Even if this is Type-Moon's first all-ages visual novel, I have the very distinct feeling that this could easily have been an eroge based on the premise or circumstances alone. I've been going through everything written by Kinoko Nasu and almost all of them have gone awry - the only exceptions being the Fate/EX series and the Canaan anime.

joined Mar 21, 2017

So I've played 3 hours of Mass Effect Andromeda now. And most of that was spent in character creation..... the animations are a bit weird and the character creation is a bit lacking but i think i notice it more since people have mentioned it so much in reviews. None of this so far has turned me off though and the actual gameplay so far has been fine.

LumberingCrane
Djltnk3ucaamfms
joined Apr 12, 2016

So I've played 3 hours of Mass Effect Andromeda now. And most of that was spent in character creation..... the animations are a bit weird and the character creation is a bit lacking but i think i notice it more since people have mentioned it so much in reviews. None of this so far has turned me off though and the actual gameplay so far has been fine.

The really big cause of worry for me is the writing. People have been saying that it's pretty amateurish.

joined Mar 21, 2017

The really big cause of worry for me is the writing. People have been saying that it's pretty amateurish.

I haven't cringed yet but then i haven't actually read a lot of Sci-Fi to make a verdict i feel.

Untitled
joined May 8, 2013

Thanks for recommending Neir....... There goes my free time......

Best Mangaka Rohan
joined Dec 13, 2016

Oh btw Dark Souls 3 dlc 2 is just 3 days away!!!!!

Can't wait. So sad it's the end of souls series.

I wanted a Bloodborne 2

Charon-sml
joined Feb 14, 2016

Zelda is a fun game but I have a lot of trouble with it because I keep thinking I'm playing a typical video game, so I don't think I have half as many options as I do for getting around and interacting with stuff.

joined Mar 21, 2017

So i've played a bit more Mass Effect Andromeda and the more i play, the more i enjoy it. I think some peoples criticisms of the game are fair but i think the actual reactions are a bit over the top, if that makes sense. I think i'm at that point where user reviews can be as ridiculous as professional reviews. For example "Original grade would be 6.5, but to counter 10/10 trolls had to mark 0. "

If you are unsure then wait till it drops down in price, i for one am just happy to get a new Mass Effect game :)

last edited at Mar 26, 2017 2:37AM

Z%20ss
joined Oct 15, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ypU9j4w3_w
Starcraft Remaster Announcement video

LumberingCrane
Djltnk3ucaamfms
joined Apr 12, 2016

This might explain some things:

"While the first three Mass Effect games were developed almost entirely by BioWare Edmonton, Mass Effect: Andromeda was developed by BioWare Montreal who was given complete creative control. This was done in order to allow BioWare Edmonton to begin working on a new intellectual property. Nonetheless, both BioWare Edmonton and BioWare Austin still played a supportive role during development." -Wikipedia

So basically the team who did Andromeda was an entirely different team than the ones who did the previous Mass Effect games.

joined Mar 21, 2017

So basically the team who did Andromeda was an entirely different team than the ones who did the previous Mass Effect games.

Yeah i knew it was a new team.

Also I don't want to recommend the game haha, don't want someone to blame me if they don't actually like it.

last edited at Mar 26, 2017 3:49AM

Hamansteam2
joined Jan 31, 2013

I've just been playing so much Super Robot Wars V.

Ihaveseenthelight
joined May 28, 2013

One thing bothering me with ME:A is how most reviews say you need to really trudge through the first several hours to get to the actual game, and many have reviewed the game with a better score recently. This also happened with Inquisition, the massively slow start. Why is this a thing? I still can't tell if I should get Andromeda or not. Won't be til after MLB 17 and Persona 5 anyway.

Hamansteam2
joined Jan 31, 2013

From my understanding, ME:A is following the formula of Inquisition so it will be a slow start as well as they pepper you with MMO style quests in a single player game.

This is a thing because of Bethesda. Bioware wanted to be the big RPG studio but Bethesda is the big western RPG studio (not because they make good RPGs, but because they make games give the impression of you can go and do whatever you want). Bioware is narrative driven, while Bethesda can't make a narrative to save their lives post Morrowind (the side effect of having all voiced dialog). So Bethesda does not have to really care about making the narrative drive the map because people want to play their games to screw around and explore.

Mass Effect made loads of money but not Skyrim loads of money. What's the difference between Skyrim and Mass Effect? Skyrim is one open map. So Bioware compromises (because they need to be able to railroad you a little bit) and makes lots of smaller but large openish maps where you can go wherever you want in Dragon Age: Inquisition but they litter it with side quests to make it feel like it has content except they are the MMO style of side quests. Look at Dragon Age: Origins, Awakening, and II. The areas are mostly linear, or their is a central area and you fan out. None of them are large and fully open; there is a path. Same goes for Mass Effect 1, 2 and 3. They are all linear traversals.

Right now everything has to be open world. There are gamers who say they will not play a game unless it is an open world. Just like how last gen was define by chest high walls and stop and pop shooters, now everyone has to make an open world. This hampers Bioware's control for the narrative. I am sure if you avoid doing side quests (unless they force you to or something), then the game can get started sooner.

Currently have too many games that I want to play, that ME:A has to wait before I buy it and maybe it will go on sale by the time I do. (Have to finish SRWV, SRWZ3 playthrough 4 and 5, Nier: Automata, and my run of Dark Souls 1 and 2 before getting 3. I want to also play through Mass Effect 1, 2 and 3 again).

last edited at Mar 26, 2017 1:46PM

Best Mangaka Rohan
joined Dec 13, 2016

https://youtu.be/7KWkao73HuU

Wow just wow. I was going to buy it when the price was reduced to $30. Now I'm not even sure if i might even buy it for $15.

joined Mar 21, 2017

Meh. Having played the game i think this video is nitpicky. It's just a compilation of bugs from different people.

Also this channel thinks GTA IV is better than GTA V ; )

last edited at Mar 26, 2017 8:24PM

Best Mangaka Rohan
joined Dec 13, 2016

^
I will wait for Angry Joe review. If he says this game is okay to buy, I might buy it.

joined Mar 21, 2017

Good idea. I give it a 7/10 so far. I haven't put my hopes up in a game for a long time so maybe I'm just not as affected by the result as others are.

Dynasty%20necromancer
joined Mar 6, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ypU9j4w3_w
Starcraft Remaster Announcement video

Wonder if the koreans will actually play that version

Rsz_eiji_3_-_kopie
joined Feb 16, 2015

30 hours into Mass Effect: Andromeda. I like it, it doesn't go too far from the original ME trilogy, my only problem or disinterest so far is that they are recycling some of the story plots of the original trilogy but really otherwise I'm hooked.

About romance: I thought they'd rush it but I was wrong, atleast for the character I'm romancing.

As someone who's enjoyed the previous installments, I'd recommend ME:A. It's open world, feels a little like the first Mass Effect and has a lot of elements that Dragon Age: Inquisition had. The gameplay is fairly different from the original trilogy and takes time adapting to. It's fun tho.

Still pissed that they cut out so many species from ME:A, especially Quarians. And plotwise, all of it feels like a silly excuse so that they don't have to bother writing the aftermath of the ending of ME3, which I was excited for but I was fooled. Yes, ME:A is indeed set in the future, but not like you think it would.

Still, hearing Liara's pre-shepard voice again made it worth it anyway

Hamansteam2
joined Jan 31, 2013

Having lots of Dragon Age: Inquisition features does not sound good to me but feeling like the first Mass Effect sounds good to me.

I will destroy you! Enemies everywhere!

This topic has been locked.