Forum › Shoujo Kishidan × Knight Tale discussion

joined Mar 23, 2017

I never liked the idea of getting whomped on. Not really into the pain thing. ~_^ I've been on the receiving end of bayonet charges by dumbass Confederate reenactors that got a little TOO enthusiastic and that was scary as hell......

Heh, I can completely sympathise with that. Sometimes our group does exercises meant to help you control your strength, but during free play it doesn't always work out. I got plenty of bruises, but in my two years only once got a hit so bad that I needed an ice pack. Most of the greens and blues I only notice once I get into the shower at home.

%23spartasgirl
joined Jul 14, 2016

Heh, I can completely sympathise with that. Sometimes our group does exercises meant to help you control your strength, but during free play it doesn't always work out. I got plenty of bruises, but in my two years only once got a hit so bad that I needed an ice pack. Most of the greens and blues I only notice once I get into the shower at home.

I damn near lost my right eye when some jackhole Artilleryman let loose with his revolver packed with Wonder Wad instead of something that disintegrates when it exits the barrel (like grease of some sort). The burning blob of super-heated drek nailed me in lower eyelid (the really soft part). It hurt like an absolute bitch. If it had been a few millimeters higher, I'd have been looking into glass eyeballs for a replacement....

last edited at Mar 23, 2017 8:57PM

Purple Library Guy
Kare%20kano%20joker
joined Mar 3, 2013

I used to fight heavy in the SCA. It was fun. Never got any good, though, mostly because I didn't own a car. Seriously, packing that armour on transit is no picnic.

My home (Seashire at the time, Barony of Ruantallan now) was known more for its cooks than its fighters. Best garlic bread in the Eastern Kingdom!

Makes sense. Everyone knows Easterners don't know how to fight properly--bunch of roll-blockers. :p

Having fun reading it, got to the end of the chapter and-- What dishonour is this?

last edited at Mar 23, 2017 9:23PM

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

I used to fight heavy in the SCA. It was fun. Never got any good, though, mostly because I didn't own a car. Seriously, packing that armour on transit is no picnic.

My home (Seashire at the time, Barony of Ruantallan now) was known more for its cooks than its fighters. Best garlic bread in the Eastern Kingdom!

Makes sense. Everyone knows Easterners don't know how to fight properly--bunch of roll-blockers. :p

Having fun reading it, got to the end of the chapter and-- What dishonour is this?

Yeah, well you're the one drinking our superior mead and ruin. Shame if something....happens to it.

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

If I was still in SCA I'd be in Ealdomere these days anyway, but my heart remains in the East.

Purple Library Guy
Kare%20kano%20joker
joined Mar 3, 2013

That really only happens if you get steel armour. Steel is cool and I personally prefer it, but recently more and more people get ABS (i think) plastic gear, which is lighter, cheaper and easier to manufacture.

Mine was sort of pieced together--some plastic, some boiled leather, some steel (and as far as I know, non-steel helms aren't SCA legal)--but really it's less about weight and more about volume. When you add together all the bits, it's just really unwieldy.

(There was a story about a guy who made a helm out of titanium--it was gorgeous, and when he tried walloping it a bunch with a big polearm it just scuffed when a steel helm would have dented. So he tried it out. He was a major league marshal in his kingdom, so when he regained consciousness he immediately declared titanium helms illegal for that kingdom. Y'see, the problem was it was too light. There wasn't enough inertia stopping it from moving, so if someone hit it a good hard shot the whole helm would be jolted sideways; it would just smack the wearer's head and ring their bell. Light isn't a problem for most armour as long as it distributes the impact, but for a helm that isn't good enough.)

Also, if you have an established group that you can trust, one person with a big enough car can carry gear for a lot of people.

Yes, that's very true, but I was not really in that position. There were a group of us, but we were all relatively-impoverished university students, and fighting practice was in a somewhat awkward direction. Look, just bloody trust me OK? It was aggravating as hell, if there were an easy way around it I would have used it.

Also for anyone wondering, under SCA rules, the weapons are strictly blunt, and the tips have to be either folded back, or covered with a plastic tip, as well as said tip must have three different colours, so when it inevitably falls off during combat, the marshall can spot it and call hold. (By three colours I mean white/black for the plastic tip usually + coloured duct tape + the gray of the steel although I have seen black swords.) Which, in the manga did not appear at all.

Your kingdom allows steel weapons? In the West and An Tir as far as I know it's strictly rattan--similar weight to an equivalent steel weapon, but waaay less dangerous. No edge, but doesn't splinter like most wood. So you can hit full strength with no worries. And there are elaborate rules about how to build a legal thrusting tip on a weapon. Typical broadswords didn't tend to have pokeys at all.

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

Steel weapons, what? The East didn't allow those either, strictly rattan and lots of duct tape.

%23spartasgirl
joined Jul 14, 2016

Steel weapons, what? The East didn't allow those either, strictly rattan and lots of duct tape.

That still sounds painful as hell.....

joined Feb 22, 2017

Wait, HEMA in a manga? naisss

joined Jul 26, 2016

Which is funny in an ironic way, because by Agrippa's time heavy armour combat started to become obsolete due to the advances in firearms. Also, his main works focused on rapier fencing, and they revolutionised civilian fencing - in other words, heavy armour was not involved at all.

17th-century cavalry and their bulletproof cuirasses would like to dispute the former point, and I'd remind you that pikemen were routinely half-plated well into the Thirty Years' War. (The gradual decline of military armour mostly had to do with economics and campaign logistics, ie. the expense of kitting out troops with the stuff and the practical complications of marching around with it.) Back in the mid-1500s when Agrippa published his best known work armour was even more common on battlefields - and concealed designs not exactly uncommon among "civilian" swordsmen, as people rather liked their viscera without extra ventilation holes.
Which is why it became a common practice to fight duels shirtless, to try and ensure the other guy wasn't "cheating" with a discreet mail shirt or such.

joined Jun 12, 2012

Made its way to Dynasty. Woo hoo!

Charon-sml
joined Feb 14, 2016

Hahaha, of course Nez goes for the bread bakers ;)

Self%20portrait%202015%20finished%20-tumblr
joined Apr 28, 2015

HEMA and Yuri?

-slams the favourite button repeatedly-

Right???!!! It's my two favorite things!!!

And thank the gods for the historically accurate armor.

Internet_lied
joined Jul 15, 2016

I hope she just says screw it to the Agrippina school and founds her own dojo to train with people who actually keep their word. But then again, this is Japan, where social conformity beats everything, and heroic characters must join existing institutions to remain so. :-(

last edited at Mar 24, 2017 3:33AM

joined Mar 23, 2017

steel weapons

Yes, Kingdom of Drachenwald reporting! We don't allow newcomers to use them for free play for a while (we have plastic swords). As for the edge, we have tools to manage the bluntness, and the marshal has to inspect it before every session.

decline of armour

Yes, you are correct. What I meant to imply was that the courtly-knightly armoured combat portrayed in the manga was getting replaced with rapier combat. But admittedly I'm not an expert on the subject. After all, Henry the VIII's famous crotch-guard armour is from that period as well.

joined Jul 26, 2016

Rapiers were for "civilian" combat, from barroom brawls and back-alley muggings to reasonably formal duels of honour. Not like anyone had ever done that stuff in full armour (full-on judicial duels aside), such gear being rather too cumbersome and uncomfortable for everyday wear.
Plus of course clanking around in full battle gear was a pretty good way to look like you were up to no good and attract all kinds of undesirable attention...

Anyways, the 1500s were the final flowering of chivalric pageantry in the grand old style. The full-course tournaments were still around in the early decades - Henry VIII's aforementioned armour was made for the 1520 Field of the Cloth of Gold summit-cum-tournament with Francis I of France - and Henry II of France died in 1559 from jousting injuries (good old lance splinters in the eye, ouch); some of the last royally authorised judicial duels were recorded around the middle of the decade (the famous Jarnac-Chastaganeraye one in France, 1547, and a 1583 one in Dublin) - these not differing very much from tournaments on foot in the ceremonial and equipement involved.

last edited at Mar 24, 2017 9:59AM

Large
joined Jun 4, 2012

this seems really promising =3

lazylikeyourass
Capture
joined Mar 26, 2016

Man, that molester really wants to fuck her so bad. Good thing the knight ain't fat rolling and managed to catch him.
Good to see this manga here.

joined Jul 26, 2016

I hope she just says screw it to the Agrippina school and founds her own dojo to train with people who actually keep their word. But then again, this is Japan, where social conformity beats everything, and heroic characters must join existing institutions to remain so. :-(

...I'd think up and starting a new group from the ground up would be something of a tall order for a mere highschooler anywhere actually...

Though given Kanade's raging idiosyncrasies (or what my young friends on teh Internets might term "best autism"), and the Agrippina sempais sounding like they'd be happy to have her if they could, she's probably just overlooked some minor detail... like actual transfer paperwork.

Or not being enrolled in that school in the first place.

Purple Library Guy
Kare%20kano%20joker
joined Mar 3, 2013

...I'd think up and starting a new group from the ground up would be something of a tall order for a mere highschooler anywhere actually...

Though given Kanade's raging idiosyncrasies (or what my young friends on teh Internets might term "best autism"), and the Agrippina sempais sounding like they'd be happy to have her if they could, she's probably just overlooked some minor detail... like actual transfer paperwork.

Or not being enrolled in that school in the first place.

That seems pretty plausible. But it still might be neat if she goes to the smitten maiden's school and starts an order of knighthood there, where the blushing maid can . . . cheer her on . . .
Random, that stuff about the field of the cloth of gold etc. was really interesting.

last edited at Mar 24, 2017 12:04PM

Purple Library Guy
Kare%20kano%20joker
joined Mar 3, 2013

Yeah, well you're the one drinking our superior mead and ruin. Shame if something....happens to it.

Heh.

Funny you should mention mead . . . I actually have a friend in the SCA who makes mead. She's been experimenting with different flavourings (and of course can talk one's ear off about the vagaries of yeast).

23519190_1784036034940610_3865802561690641399_n
joined Oct 4, 2016

As a once and future homebrewer, yeast does indeed have a few vagaries.

Img_20140722_221337
joined Jan 18, 2017

Ah... it's been a long time since i read yuri manga with typical perverted male, what a HUMONGOUS discovery.

%23spartasgirl
joined Jul 14, 2016

Eh, its another hentai trope that is well established. First one I can remember that did that was Cream Lemon: "Don't Do It Mako! Mako Sexy Symphony Part I". If there is a rash of these perverts/molesters in real-world Japan, school girls need to be carrying stun guns to zap the fuckers.

Just like older men are ALWAYS greasy perverted slobs in hentai, never any dashing/handsome fellas that can (and do) have arm candy.....

joined Mar 23, 2017

Rapiers were for "civilian" combat, from barroom brawls and back-alley muggings to reasonably formal duels of honour. Not like anyone had ever done that stuff in full armour (full-on judicial duels aside), such gear being rather too cumbersome and uncomfortable for everyday wear.
Plus of course clanking around in full battle gear was a pretty good way to look like you were up to no good and attract all kinds of undesirable attention...

Anyways, the 1500s were the final flowering of chivalric pageantry in the grand old style. The full-course tournaments were still around in the early decades - Henry VIII's aforementioned armour was made for the 1520 Field of the Cloth of Gold summit-cum-tournament with Francis I of France - and Henry II of France died in 1559 from jousting injuries (good old lance splinters in the eye, ouch); some of the last royally authorised judicial duels were recorded around the middle of the decade (the famous Jarnac-Chastaganeraye one in France, 1547, and a 1583 one in Dublin) - these not differing very much from tournaments on foot in the ceremonial and equipement involved.

Ah, alright, thanks for correcting me. I read a book a while ago by an Italian fencing master who taught some English princes, but I cannot for the life of me remember who they were. I must have mistaken that for earlier than it was.

Also, I meant to post about this earlier: page 51, calling 'Light'. I have never heard about this before. Maybe because I don't do it competitively, but in my club we just keep going. It might be a regional thing as well, Japan being Japan and all.

To reply you must either login or sign up.