Forum › Afterglow Noise discussion

Nlridingaa
joined Aug 15, 2016

Wow, Naoko made a cute story, how unnusual, but that's good too.

23519190_1784036034940610_3865802561690641399_n
joined Oct 4, 2016

Imgur

I like RADWIMPS, too.

You kids today, with your music and your hair...

Your_hair_has_gotten_longer_by_folksneedheroes-d5l5v69
joined Apr 23, 2015

Very good. Wouldn't complain if there was more but I thought it wrapped up very nicely.

Capture
joined Mar 26, 2016

MC at the ending is brave, I like that.

Hhmmm that one girl is really smal compared to the gyaruko-chan...? Story was ok i guess... i don't see where this is going, friendship or more in the end...

Hanging%20chito%20ava
joined Dec 18, 2016

Aaaaand that's the birth of another one of Kodama Naoko's possesive characters.

I rlly like the cover. There's something David Carson about it.

joined Feb 18, 2015

I like it. I don't think there's any question about the feelings of the MC at the end. She is definitely in love. Whether it is unrequited love for a girl who is gregarious and kind to everyone or she was actually correctly interpreting the other girl's signals and she had been hitting on her the whole time is left to interpretation. The look on her face at the end suggests she is definitely surprised that the MC is coming after her, but I don't think that means she isn't going to be happy about it.

Kodama Naoko's one-shots are frequently quite enigmatic, though... She seems to be a fan of open ended short stories.

joined Jun 28, 2017

This was really interesting and original.
Arimi was very strong and confident and really kind to the main character.
She's a refreshingly original character in Naoko's work.
It's a pity she didn't continue this. much better than most of her work.

last edited at Dec 2, 2017 2:13PM

08f6612130a20845a480034c0567fbe1d8926209_hq
joined Apr 27, 2014

The most positive-ish ending I've read from this one! Hooray

ColdGoldLazarus
Cglishmini
joined Apr 12, 2018

I really love this one for some reason, even if just for the excellent setup and payoff of that metaphor, there. Really nice in general, would love a followup at some point.

Dynastyscans
joined May 24, 2022

This is honestly one of my favorites. I read it a couple years ago and it's stuck with me ever since. I think I can just relate a lot to the comfort of solitude being replaced by the comfort of another person when that solitude is broken. This gets everything that one manga/LN that's about skipping class in the 2nd story of a gym is about, and does it better (and with an order of magnitude fewer pages).
You could also make a comparison to Hino-san no Baka, but honestly that doesn't feel more than superficially accurate. This has that lonely atmosphere where just "having friends" doesn't satisfy the need for social connection, where maybe one wants to be alone because one actually wants to be with someone.

-7xom-00_400x400
joined Feb 25, 2023

It’s kinda funny that by most standards this is a somewhat dramatic one-shot, but by the standards of this mangaka this is pure fluff.

To reply you must either login or sign up.