Forum › Nanashi no Asterism discussion

Revsicon
joined Jan 6, 2017

Given how Kotooka talks about unrequited feelings it seems like chapter 18 has all but confirmed that she was rejected by her old crush. So any empathy she feels for Washio wouldn't be 'I know what it's like to have an unrequited love' but 'I know what it's like to be rejected by the one you love' I guess. Previous chaps have Washio's own dialogue make it clear that there's a big difference between knowing and getting direct confirmation. Kotooka is definitely is "too nice" in this way. Trying to get Washio to give up and grow uninterested instead of having to tell her "the feeling isn't mutual." I mean she has straight up questioned if it's "okay" for two people to have "unequal" feelings, so stuff like that eats away at her it seems.

Also damn, the girl who rejected Kotooka must have been an ass if she made her want to go to an entirely different school. Maybe gave her the "don't wanna be friends with a creepy girl who loves girls" thing. It'd bring Subaru's comment about love confessions being creepy full circle. Given how short Kotooka's hair was when they all first met one another, maybe one of her 'abnormalities' was being a tomboy. That'd be hurtful word ammunition for her crush to shoot off but that almost seems too obvious. It'd give an added significance to her crush on Shiratori though!

As a sidenote: I think? Kotooka takes Washio's love as a serious thing. She didn't acknowledge any of her past boyfriends as someone who 'loved' her. Washio though? Cancelled the "nobody has ever loved me" thought. Kotooka's methods are very "don't think about feelings for too long/must end this madness" and it makes it harder to interpret how in/significant her passing comments are now that everything's gotten so complicated. Could her line about one-sided love being the "best weakness possible" be a hint about her own feelings? That not only is she frustrated that her plan is failing, but is also worried things might get more convoluted if she lets Washio too close? I doubt Kotooka would like to check 'loving two people' into the box of added 'abnormalities'. She could be referring to her man gallivanting but it'd be hilarious if the triangle keeps building till they all secretly love each other. The legendary triple triangle; all love no confessions! Unmarried 30 year olds end get. Since Kotooka already (most likely) has the dichotomy of been rejected/ has to reject girl I do think I'm probably overthinking the Washio stuff though. It'd be sadistic af.

last edited at Jan 6, 2017 10:46PM

joined Jun 30, 2015

Given how short Kotooka's hair was when they all first met one another

Something, something, girls cut their long hair short when they get rejected and they have to start over again. It would be interesting if Kotooka got completely shut down, then socially ostracized, during the wave of the cliched end-of-year confessions. Also explains why she went so out of her way to attend her new school and why she seems so distantly traumatized by the concept of a trio of close friends splitting up.

Her relatively newish wound still festering with ten thousand chittering maggots.

*Edit; also congratulations on your first post.

last edited at Jan 6, 2017 11:49PM

Makasete
joined Sep 21, 2016

I'm here to defend Washio's pigtail look. It suits her very much!!

Mahiru
joined Aug 28, 2016

Here I am reading a yuri manga, but the pairing I'm most into is the two guys. Asakura-kun is too pure. Subaru is a fragile baby bird.

I'm also rooting for Kotooka, though. God bless that on-the-verge-of-meltdown angst reactor.

joined May 1, 2013

I thought Kotooka likes Tsukasa and not Washio? Have I been reading wrong the whole time?

Blushav2
joined Aug 11, 2015

I thought Kotooka likes Tsukasa and not Washio? Have I been reading wrong the whole time?

Kotooka likes Tsukasa, who likes Washio, who likes Kotooka.

Revsicon
joined Jan 6, 2017

Given how short Kotooka's hair was when they all first met one another

Something, something, girls cut their long hair short when they get rejected and they have to start over again. It would be interesting if Kotooka got completely shut down, then socially ostracized, during the wave of the cliched end-of-year confessions. Also explains why she went so out of her way to attend her new school and why she seems so distantly traumatized by the concept of a trio of close friends splitting up.

Her relatively newish wound still festering with ten thousand chittering maggots.

*Edit; also congratulations on your first post.

Yo thanks! Cutting her hair after rejection does make more sense in the long run, yeah. And since her own feelings would have destroyed the equilibrium of her last friendship it makes sense why she's so obsessed with 'balancing' and changing everyone's 'unequal' feelings. "One-sided love sucks and third-wheels are unfair so all that can be done is rid everyone of their romantic feelings by becoming 'normal girls'!"

Bitter Black Beans
Tumblr_oem4vtmrpk1r92e4to1_400
joined Jan 12, 2017

This manga is such a mood whiplash - jumping from fluffy cuteness to angstyness in seconds. I love that.

Megu
joined Mar 22, 2014

Chapter 21 spoiler in three sentences:

Subaru and Asakura make up from their fight (as a result of Subaru crossdressing as Tsukasa and apologizing while posing as his sister) + back story about the girl who confessed to Subaru. Later, when Subaru and Asakura meet face-to-face, Subaru makes some cute facial expression that catches Asakura off guard. ;) Basically an entire chapter dedicated to Subaru x Asakura, and it's progressing faster than the female love triangle (but only by a hairline).

Khancrop
joined Feb 18, 2013

You know, Kotooka, I want to like you, but you're making it awful hard. I hope Tsukasa just snaps and pushes them both down on a bed one day.

joined Jun 12, 2015

Bad news for those who like this manga. Chapter 23 will be the last one.

Capture
joined Dec 12, 2016

Bad news for those who like this manga. Chapter 23 will be the last one.

Canceled or does it have an actual ending?

joined Jun 12, 2015

^Well judging by how chapter 22 ended it will have an ending. I don't know if manga was canceled or it was planned.

Asukaoriii
joined Jul 24, 2015

Yikes, if only the writer was faster in developing things.
We'll most definitely get an ot3 friendship end.

Hanging%20chito%20ava
joined Dec 18, 2016

Well, another yuri series getting axed... Damn it...

It's kinda surprising that it's this series, too, tho. It felt like it was pretty popular. Not to mention that it already has more than 3 volumes out.

All those angst & no proper resolution. This is sad :/

last edited at Feb 16, 2017 12:28PM

joined Jun 12, 2015

Well, that is sad. It wasn't some masterpiece or anything, it deserved better...

Heihtzz
joined Oct 16, 2016

Why must the good die young?

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

I can understand why it was cancelled. The relationship between the 3 was in a dead end and there was no way to have a romantic resolution without one of them being hurt.

So, most probably, it'll end in friendship.

And they married and had lots of kids with random guys.

Timheadshot_5050
joined Nov 4, 2016

So, most probably, it'll end in friendship.

And they married and had lots of kids with random guys.

No, no, no. Washio is gonna confess to Kotooka, which Tsukasa overhears. K rejects W and says it's not normal, but T doesn't hear that because she's already running of crying. W&K hear T storming off and run after her, but she gets hit by a truck and dies in the hospital. W&K end up blaming each other and their friendship is ruined. K later goes from one guy to another while W withdraws from society and becomes a hikikomori.

Both of them die alone and unloved, while Subaru and Asakura, who got married, are the only ones who attend the funerals.

Oh! And then we see the cliche "they meet again in the afterlife" starfield.

last edited at Feb 16, 2017 5:07PM

Hanging%20chito%20ava
joined Dec 18, 2016

No, no, no. Washio is gonna confess to Kotooka, which Tsukasa overhears. K rejects W and says it's not normal, but T doesn't hear that because she's already running of crying. W&K hear T storming off and run after her, but she gets hit by a truck and dies in the hospital. W&K end up blaming each other and their friendship is ruined. K later goes from one guy to another while W withdraws from society and becomes a hikikomori.

Both of them die alone and unloved, while Subaru and Asakura, who got married, are the only ones who attend the funerals.

Oh! And then we see the cliche "they meet again in the afterlife" starfield.

In the afterlife, all their genders are reversed. Same shits happen. Asakura & Subaru (now girls) end up together like the star-crossed lovers that they are. Happy yuri ending. The end.

joined Nov 15, 2016

I've been really enjoying this; sad to see it go.

I hope there can be a half decent ending pulled together.

Etult87ueaawqbz_%20(2)
joined Oct 15, 2016

Well, it sucks that this is getting cancelled. On the brightside, no more slow burn bs.

Shine,%20aru
joined Feb 15, 2016

Decided to read and review this, and then found out "Hey, it's canceled!" That's some shit.

Well, still here's my thoughts on the series: https://terrenceswiff.wordpress.com/2017/02/22/nanashi-no-asterism/

Looking around I've gotten the impression that opinions on this series are kind of all over the place. I can understand why. Anyway, I like Kotooka, although she can be rather terrible, and I'm hoping this doesn't end with "friendship the gay away".

joined Jun 12, 2015

Final chapter is online.

To reply you must either login or sign up.