Forum › Shinmai Shimai no Futari Gohan discussion

Heres%20wakasa
joined Jul 28, 2016

maybe if you're talking about real people that argument would hold, but this is fictional. these characters don't just fall in love because they have a mind of their own, it's the author's choice. if the author explicitly chooses to portray a relationship between sisters that's pretty fucked up and i don't want that to happen to such an enjoyable manga. and i know about citrus, i never read it because the premise of two sisters falling in love is fucked up and i'm frankly put off by most of the yuri community because they support things like pseudo-incest.

I would think it's more of a whole anime community thing than just a yuri community thing? I don't know for sure cause I'm not quite as involved in those communities as I am with the yuri community, but I don't see people getting pissed about... I forgot her name, Leafa/Suguru? being in love with Kirito in SAO (how I hated that anime) and all those shitty harem anime with those half-sisters in love with the protag. I admit that I certainly do get up in arms about those (that stupid sister was a source of rage for me for a while), so I kinda see your point since I definitely have a double standard when it comes to more... ah, messed up relationships that are yuri (see: Yuzumori-san, Candy Boy, I'm sure there are more).

Screenshot%20(1097)
joined Apr 23, 2016

maybe if you're talking about real people that argument would hold, but this is fictional. these characters don't just fall in love because they have a mind of their own, it's the author's choice. if the author explicitly chooses to portray a relationship between sisters that's pretty fucked up and i don't want that to happen to such an enjoyable manga. and i know about citrus, i never read it because the premise of two sisters falling in love is fucked up and i'm frankly put off by most of the yuri community because they support things like pseudo-incest.

I would think it's more of a whole anime community thing than just a yuri community thing? I don't know for sure cause I'm not quite as involved in those communities as I am with the yuri community, but I don't see people getting pissed about... I forgot her name, Leafa/Suguru? being in love with Kirito in SAO (how I hated that anime) and all those shitty harem anime with those half-sisters in love with the protag. I admit that I certainly do get up in arms about those (that stupid sister was a source of rage for me for a while), so I kinda see your point since I definitely have a double standard when it comes to more... ah, messed up relationships that are yuri (see: Yuzumori-san, Candy Boy, I'm sure there are more).

yeah i definitely realize that there is a big problem with the anime community in general with supporting unhealthy romance like abuse, incest, and pedophilia, it's just that i usually just stay in my yuri corner and it's frustrating to see stories like that taint the LGBT community's public image. i definitely don't think that stories featuring gay people should all be bland happy picturesque fairytales so that the straights dont think we're sinners or whatever, but romanticizing abuse and incest and pedophilia is deplorable no matter what. ESPECIALLY since the LGBT community is so associated with pedophilia and """""converting""""" children.

Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

Since when incest is evil?

Capture
joined Dec 12, 2016

yeah i definitely realize that there is a big problem with the anime community in general with supporting unhealthy romance like abuse, incest, and pedophilia, it's just that i usually just stay in my yuri corner and it's frustrating to see stories like that taint the LGBT community's public image. i definitely don't think that stories featuring gay people should all be bland happy picturesque fairytales so that the straights dont think we're sinners or whatever, but romanticizing abuse and incest and pedophilia is deplorable no matter what. ESPECIALLY since the LGBT community is so associated with pedophilia and """""converting""""" children.

Once again, they are not blood related. Two unrelated people not being able to be together just because their parents got together first is just insane to me. I can understand being displeased with how much actual incest or pedophilia is portrayed in yuri works but these two people aren't even related. Their familial bond is dictated only by a few legal documents. Equating pseudo-incest to actual incest and pedophilia is just off base.

Roomfortwo
joined Feb 11, 2014

What were you saying again ? Oh, right : maybe if you're talking about real people that argument would hold, but this is fictional.

Also, this here isn't exactly incest as those two girls have no blood relation. They're only step-sisters because their parents got married barely a few weeks before the start of the manga. They didn't even grew up together. Heck, even the whole premise of the first chapter is that they don't know anything about each other and have to learn living together

As for the whole "abuse, incest and pedophilia", in my experience most anime fan who enjoy those genre do make a clear distinction between what happens in their animes and real-life. Sure, there will always be some exceptions, but saying that those who enjoy incest or lolicon story would do the exact same in real life is basically saying that those who enjoy action movies featuring solving your problems through killing everybody who opposes you would as likely pull out a gun when facing some trouble. Or because you have fun playing a game like GTA, you're going to do the same thing in real life.

And that kind of content extensively exist in non-yuri work anyway, so those who bitch about the gays about it are just using any excuse to bash that community. remove those and they'll just find something else to "prove" their point.

All in all, when it comes to work of fictions, it's important to keep in mind that it's just that : fiction. Not reality. You yourself pointed out, but kind of in reverse. Because even if this work were actually incest, well... It is fiction. If you don't like the premise, best not read it entirely, as you do with citrus (which share a similar premise to this manga, by the way). And really, you're talking about incest, pedophilia and so on about a manga that is not incestuous as it's about step-sisters that met a few month agos and are around their sixteens.

joined Feb 15, 2013

That just made most of Western and a big part of Eastern education system to be deplorable.....

Ever heard about "Romeo and Juliet"?

last edited at Feb 6, 2017 5:08AM

Yuri
joined May 11, 2015

I wonder when chapters 14&15 will show up and when the story will continue.

Sakamoto%20nichijou%20tissues-min
joined Jan 20, 2016

YES! I love this! :D

Heres%20wakasa
joined Jul 28, 2016

I guess that makes Ayari a... delicious vegetable in Sachi's (that is her name, right?) eyes then, eh? Eh?

I'll see myself out...

Asagi_d4
joined Feb 23, 2017

No return of the ham tag? How disappointing.

Fb_img_1492462408743
joined Jan 18, 2014

thank god, a new chapter, i thought it may got licensed

ps: ayari's logic "gonna make an eggplant dish, better not buy any"

Capture
joined Dec 12, 2016

Love how it's titled Spring Rolls but they call them Summer rolls.

joined Apr 21, 2014

Yech, that octopus scene was just dreadful :/ It really takes away from the cuteness of the manga when they lightheartedly kill an animal IMO.

Marion Diabolito
Dynsaty%20scans%20avatar%20from%20twgokhs
joined Jan 5, 2015

The most subtexty thing about this manga: they communicate better than virtually any pair in any yuri manga I can think of. If they DID have a relationship besides stepsisters, it would be free of entertaining misunderstandings and accidentally hurt feelings.

Marion Diabolito
Dynsaty%20scans%20avatar%20from%20twgokhs
joined Jan 5, 2015

BTW so far there is zero even "pseudo-incest." Which is more than you can say for, say, a mainstream movie like "Clueless." This is essentially "I Got a Little Sister" crossed with "Koufuku Graffiti"

Tsw118
joined Feb 27, 2015

Interesting, so in Japan, lettuce is sold/put on shop shelf in bowls? And avocados in individual baskets? Or is it a "high class shop" thing and not actually usual?

joined May 10, 2015

Eh, I don't see a problem with it. Fiction should be free to explore these things. Personally I find it quite interesting when done right.

There are plenty of books which also enter that territory never mind actual human history with clans and royalty.
It's not in any way exclusive to yuri or even manga/anime in general. I would say it's most common in medieval fantasy regardless of the medium.

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

I'll be honest, even without the (potential) yuri element I'm pretty pleased with this. Don't get me wrong, I love the subtext and its played wonderfully here. But even without that, the series gets way more into foodstuffs that I would never get a chance to prepare, and so it ends up as escapist literature to a degree. I rather like it.

risingstar3110
joined Feb 15, 2013

The more I read, the more I ship them.

( not to mention, wasn't the magazine director acknowledge this manga to be Yuri?)

They may have surpassed the 'lover' status into 'soulmate' territories by how things unfold. I means you simply can't find a better partner for Those two

last edited at Mar 16, 2017 10:24PM

Capture
joined Dec 12, 2016

( not to mention, wasn't the magazine director acknowledge this manga to be Yuri?)

Yes, the magazine editor did say that readers can see it as either a manga about food or yuri.

joined Oct 26, 2016

Ugh why even bring up this whole argument about subjective "tainted" and "deplorable" content on such a sweet and informative story. It honestly just clogs the comments and makes it hard for people to talk about the manga itself.

I've learned about so much from this about food and their interactions are fun to read. Can't wait for more of these two girls and their food :).

Hanging%20chito%20ava
joined Dec 18, 2016

Avocados in summer rolls/gỏi cuốn? That's new. Doesn't sound like it'll go well with nước mắm... ok, maybe it'll go well with it. Ok, now I want some.

I feel like I just blasphemed for almost saying that nước mắm can't go well with something lol

last edited at Mar 19, 2017 1:01AM

DR2 Hajime Hinata
Image_2023-07-05_193410907
joined Jul 20, 2016

oh god, this is like the sister yuri version of Shokugeki no Souma...not that I'm complaining though

the Pocky on Chapter 4 pg 1 was called "Potty" I don't' think I would be eating it anymore if it was called that

last edited at Mar 27, 2017 12:50AM

Charon-sml
joined Feb 14, 2016

When is there going to be an episode about Barbecue? I think it's silly for a series like this not to acknowledge a lot of its readers are girls who like grills

drpepperfan Admin
Ss%20(2018-09-18%20at%2004.40.05)
joined Oct 12, 2010

I didn't see any mention of this, so I figured I'd post about it cause it's cool.

When rereading Chapter 16, I was looking at this page, and noticed some interesting things in the background. Namely, a bunch of cameos of western cartoons.

On the left hand side you can see Wendy and possibly a small part of Soos from Disney's Gravity Falls.

Near the right hand side, you can see Ford Pines from Gravity Falls too.

Ford Pines

And on the rightmost side of the screen, you can see Marceline and Princess Bubblegum from Adventure Time

Sorry if everyone already saw this, but just in case, here it is.

To reply you must either login or sign up.