Forum › Suggestions for Improvement V3

Hogfather
Kouyuri
joined Jan 25, 2016

@omnscient0 Thanks for the JSON links you provided a little while back, they've been pretty handy! How many developers does this site have? Does the DS dev team typically aim to do monthly updates to the site, or do you just update as necessary? Also, who wrote this site originally?

As a side thought, I've noticed that this site has slowed down a bit recently; maybe a bunch of extra load on this site comes from external manga sites crawling and downloading series that are published here (so that they can publish it on their own site)? Maybe a good way to reduce this load is to provide a download API on a separate server (from the UI servers), so that that traffic can be handled separately?

Edit: You don't have to answer ANY of those questions if you don't want.

last edited at Jan 21, 2017 12:38PM

Page-11
Dynasty Scans
joined Feb 14, 2011

@omnscient0 Thanks for the JSON links you provided a little while back, they've been pretty handy! How many developers does this site have? Does the DS dev team typically aim to do monthly updates to the site, or do you just update as necessary? Also, who wrote this site originally?

As a side thought, I've noticed that this site has slowed down a bit recently; maybe a bunch of extra load on this site comes from external manga sites crawling and downloading series that are published here (so that they can publish it on their own site)? Maybe a good way to reduce this load is to provide a download API on a separate server (from the UI servers), so that that traffic can be handled separately?

Omn made (this version of) the site and is basically the only developer. The site isn't updated very frequently because he also has a real job. For now if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Mostly%20sunny
joined Oct 26, 2016

I've noticed the dip in speed lately as well. Significant spikes in the time it takes to load pages in the reader mostly.
Direct downloads also seem to freeze and fail more often as well. I thought it was on my end, but if others have noticed it as well, it must be site-side.

Yuri Girl 1001 Uploader
Avitar
Fly by Yuri
joined Mar 29, 2013

When things slow down, it's because we're overloading the server. One way to speed things up is if people do direct downloads from the release post when available, instead of from this site. That also sidesteps the eight downloads a day limit, and reduces your chances of failed downloads as well.

Homu2
joined Mar 23, 2015

Could we get HTTPS? It's free now with Let's Encrypt.

Today's update to Chrome (56) and the newest Firefox (51) mark login pages with no HTTPS as insecure, and they're just gonna get louder.

Dynasty really should have HTTPS! I can help if the site dev doesn't have the time to do it.

Roomfortwo
joined Feb 11, 2014

In light of the small debate over magic babies not being the same as science babies, I propose we change the tag for gaybies :p

A2bcf11834a1918b3f09b4219b2a099f_r
joined Aug 16, 2014

I second the change to Gaybies.

Vegitab%20profile%20pic%20smoll%20tumblr
joined Sep 21, 2014

What had magic babies?

Malibu Uploader
Hogfather
Kouyuri
joined Jan 25, 2016

Omn made (this version of) the site and is basically the only developer. The site isn't updated very frequently because he also has a real job. For now if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

I also have a real (full-time senior software developer) job, but I understand the plight :) Haha "if it's not broke don't fix it" is indeed a pretty standard developer lament.

Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

none posted:

I still think Lesbies sounds better

last edited at Jan 27, 2017 9:35PM

Maco%20v0.1%20320px%20opt
joined Apr 2, 2011

I'd like Science babies to remain, because

• it's what we're used to - people searching for/against that know to use the tag, and
  • it's unambiguous (someone might not get what gaybies or especially lesbies means).

Additionally, are magic babies even that common?

last edited at Jan 28, 2017 2:58AM

Roomfortwo
joined Feb 11, 2014

none posted:

I still think Lesbies sounds better

Lesbies is a bit too ambiguous in my opinion. Gaybies has the advantage of mostly sounding like babies. Plus, that's a wink to the webcomics "go get a roomie" ^^

I'm fine with keeping science babies personnally, my suggestion is mostly in light of some people wanting a magic babies tag to fit more specifics stories. I'm not really fond of having too many tags, so I'm merely suggesting this as a compromise, using one tag that is generic enough to fit all situations, even if it's in the few yaoi stories we have there, as gaybies would encompass all of the above in just one word.

joined Apr 2, 2011

I still think both gaybies and lesbies are too obscure.

If we really want to include the magic, but don't want an additional keyword, why not just change the current keyword into magic/science babies? That is not ambiguous or obscure in the slightest and is inclusive. (Magic should be mentioned first only because it comes first alphabetically.)

Another point to make is that lesbies and gaybies would rule out couples based on their genders. To me the current keyword implies that babies were created in a seemingly 'magical' way by today's scientific knowledge - regardless of the genders of the parents. So it would include het. Others may disagree on this, of course.

last edited at Jan 29, 2017 11:38AM

drpepperfan Admin
Ss%20(2018-09-18%20at%2004.40.05)
joined Oct 12, 2010

Worth pointing out that Magic Babies is actually a alias for Science Babies and has been for a long time, so it comes up for searches for magic babies.

joined Apr 2, 2011

Just noticed that

http://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/cross_heart_extra_1#2

and

http://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/cross_heart_extra_1#3

are identical pages.

From the original source, Anakris's Deviant Art post, it seems the page has just been duplicated - no page is missing or has been replaced.

joined Apr 2, 2011

"Sakura Trick" by Tachi (tabbo) has chapters of volumes 4 - 6 all listed under volume 4.

Volume 4 should have chapters 29 - 34 + "Volume 4 Extra (chapter 35)".

Volume 5 should have "Volume 5 Extra (chapter 35.5)" + chapters 36 - 44.

Volume 6 should have chapter 45 (and onwards).

last edited at Feb 8, 2017 10:59AM

drpepperfan Admin
joined Oct 12, 2010

Fixed.

joined Dec 28, 2016

Hey I've been experiencing 50 kb/s speeds and 150 ms ping times to the servers pretty regularlly. (See: http://dynasty-scans.com/forum/topics/11779-website-transfer-speeds )

The problem is that getting content from France to California is really really slow and you guys don't seem to be using any kind of CDN. My suggestion is you guys set up with Cloudflare, which is free, and gets you a global CDN and https encryption which should speed things up dramatically. https://www.cloudflare.com/plans/ Please consider this.

513ovydfscl
Divulge Scans
joined Jun 17, 2014

This probably came up already, but it would be really handy if on author pages "series" and "anthologies" were grouped into separate categories.

Stroke_it
joined Aug 1, 2014

"incomplete" tag for partially uploaded works.

drpepperfan Admin
joined Oct 12, 2010

"incomplete" tag for partially uploaded works.

Sounds like it could be useful, but I don't try to upload unfinished works usually, unless it's a mistake like that torrent earlier. Do you know any examples?

Nishiki%20gosu%20rori%20dark%20hair%20sm
joined Jan 11, 2015

@dpf
Maybe for series that are picked up and uploaded, but never finished? Then again, that's very similar to the "dropped" status, although we don't have it as an actual tag, so it might be useful? Ex. 2DK, G-Pen, Alarm clock.

drpepperfan Admin
joined Oct 12, 2010

No need for that, as you said, we have the Dropped/Abandoned status.

Nishiki%20gosu%20rori%20dark%20hair%20sm
joined Jan 11, 2015

Myeah... If anything, it'd just serve as a way to exclude them from a search, unless there is already a way to do so? :/

Edit: Since the dropped/abandoned status isn't a tag, it can't be put in the excluded tags search criteria, I mean.

last edited at Feb 16, 2017 6:33PM

To reply you must either login or sign up.