Forum › Ovum discussion

joined Jun 12, 2015

That sucks. But gambatte!

last edited at Jan 14, 2017 4:40PM

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

Hmmm, okay.

That was depressing because it somehow hits home.

last edited at Jan 14, 2017 5:09PM

Yohanesoukan
joined Dec 27, 2015

Oh... not the ending I was expecting..

5b3c524e-e066-4eaf-8e5f-ae4e37b5edda
joined Jan 18, 2016

Wh-what I don't understand

Picture%20edit
joined Dec 13, 2016

I dig the story, but it made me distinctly uncomfortable for reasons I can't quite explain. I suppose that is a good thing if it can have such an effect on me though.

joined Oct 13, 2014

that was interesting. ive always found it interesting reading these kind of stories in this day in age where its becoming more and more possible for same sex couples to have kids one way or another

7559b8a9-a380-4c4d-84c0-67d9a337a5d3
joined Jan 30, 2013

LOL well that was a nice ending. Hope the one girl finds someone who can value her and appreciates her :/. She had a shitty girlfriend

Gumi%203
joined May 7, 2016

i feel disappointed. not because of the vague ending, but because i expected some REAL egg laying.

Johanliebert
joined Dec 15, 2015

Well, fuck.

Marion Diabolito
Dynsaty%20scans%20avatar%20from%20twgokhs
joined Jan 5, 2015

I don't get the metaphor, really. I mean, yeah, that's what having a period involves. I guess just making the microscopic egg chicken egg-sized emphasizes the sperm/egg fertilizing fact, and that two men or two women can't produce children. The protagonist has other issues, so I would say she needs to get herself together psychologically and emotionally while she looks for a happy life. At first I thought the curly blonde-haired woman was terrible but I think she's bi and uninformed and thoughtless, and a more confident person could have had a reasonable relationship with her for a while. The protagonist seems unassertive. It's a very odd mentality throughout. Imagine you're two friends of the protagonist discussing her behavior. What would you say?

joined Dec 19, 2016

So she liked a playgirl idiot who thought she laid eggs. I usually don't like endings like this, but good riddance. Natsumi was a terrible person.

joined Jun 14, 2013

The part that confuses me is that the bitch moves in with her and they aren't even anything? Whatever stupid story anyway.

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

I had to come and read the comments first because "Non moe art + Egg laying" gives a bad first impression xD

joined Feb 18, 2015

Strange story to say the least...

joined Jul 20, 2011

i feel disappointed. not because of the vague ending, but because i expected some REAL egg laying.

There is a little bit in Yuri Iro Gensou. Just those two pages though.

Screen%20shot%202022-12-24%20at%201.57.08%20am
joined Jun 11, 2016

The story just went by to fast to evoke any emotion from me. I wouldn't say it's bad or good, But rather forgettable.

last edited at Jan 14, 2017 7:50PM

joined Jun 12, 2012

The story just went by to fast to evoke any emotion from me. I wouldn't say it bad or good, But rather forgettable.

I feel the same. Although I still added it to my favorites. The general premise of the story drew me in, I guess.

Cooldudeshitlord
Tumblr_inline_mmx1mincnm1qz4rgp
joined Nov 15, 2014

that was interesting i guess? thats all im feelin about this one yo

Breakdanceanomicon
joined Jun 13, 2015

Y'all were naive to expect a happy ending in an actual "lesbian life" magazine from Japan. This ain't the magical world of yuri, you know.

Omochikaeri_thumb
joined Nov 2, 2013

I'm not sure if this author has the best grasp on menstral cycles? Like yeah it's possible to get pregnant a few days after your period but the highest chance is if you're ovulating which is like a week or 2 after your period. With me three days after my period I'm on a dry spell and wouldn't want to have sex at all.

joined Sep 11, 2014

The ironic thing is, if her eggs really are falling straight out of her vagina into the toilet during ovulation, Natsumi probably won't ever be able to have a child.

joined Aug 11, 2014

Yeah, I get feeling nonplussed by this when not much really happens, but it's 200% consistent with the kind of fiction you find in 90's lesbian magazines from Japan. It has more to do with queer counterculture art than yuri as a genre. It's not really about girls falling in love with each other, it's a story about embracing your sexuality, moving on from your small-minded family, being proud of yourself and your community, and learning not to expect too much from curious straight girls. That stuff's a little old hat for us in 2017, but I think it may have been a lot more transgressive and inspiring in 1997 Japan.

Aside from that, though, I feel like it's trying to challenge the idea that heterosexuality makes any more sense than homosexuality. If the common view of lesbian relationships at the time was that it's a bizarre and delusional diversion from the Proper Social Responsibility to meet a man and get married and the Proper Woman's Destiny to be a mother, then the manga asks whether those things are actually any more obvious and sensible by themselves, or if we're all so steeped in those concepts that we've just become desensitised to how weird they actually are.

Natsumi stumbles around the lesbian bar like it's a zoo, fascinated by these strange creatures she's discovered and their peculiar ways, but her fixation on her own ability to procreate - which she doesn't even understand! - and her fetishization of conception, is just as strange and contradictory, if not more so. She happily shows off her "egg" as a symbol of her fertility, a symbol of her womanhood as a whole, as if it's something marvellous, and then happily flushes it down the toilet. Because we don't actually think of it as something magical. Most women ovulate, and the vast majority of the times that they do, it's not a magical symbol of femininity and a deep source of pride, nor does it actually produce a child. It just goes in the waste, end of story. The manga might be pointing out this contradiction between what we say is valuable about womanhood, and how we actually treat those things in day-to-day life.

The random guy in the cafe, I'm guessing, is supposed to reflect the idea that most guys are kind of confused and grossed out by the whole process, and might not even care about the mythologising of conception and pregnancy at all, but are still willing to go along with it as long as it means they can get some.

In the end, Yuki isn't just cheerfully waving goodbye to a weirdo freeloader, she's cheerfully waving goodbye to her lingering apprehensions about her role as a woman outside of motherhood, having come to understand that, despite what her family taught her, being gay is no more perverse than being straight, and straightness was never going to satisfy her anyway.

At least, if I wanted to read a bunch of metaphors and symbolism into the story, that's what I'd come up with. I feel like it more or less fits as a response to Japanese cultural norms at the time, coming from an offshoot of second-wave feminism (the magazine says "for womyn" right there on the cover, after all) and is consistent with the tone and imagery of the manga. I don't really agree with all its assumptions and conclusions, but saying that doesn't really mean anything when I basically just made it all up off the top of my head without knowing much of anything about this stuff to begin with, lol.

Best Mangaka Rohan
25dfc3e30a88f17394a8d2037430b766
joined Dec 13, 2016

Girls are......weird creatures.

Yurikosmaller2
joined May 28, 2011

I googled vaginal discharge... the human body is fucking weird.

Tumblr_naq5w3cgrf1sbltxmo1_500
joined Jun 27, 2016

That was weird...But also really sad

To reply you must either login or sign up.