Forum › Non visual novel yuri games?

Internet_lied
joined Jul 15, 2016

whether their lesbian romances qualifies as yuri is up for debate

um...
...what?

....um.....Yeah what she said...

I really did not want to get into another ontological debate on this forum, but because two people have commented on it, I feel compelled to clarify. Since ShiroHika pointedly asked for a "game with yuri elements", and not for "games with lesbian romance", I simply pointed out that BioWare games are not interactive yuri manga and, despite unarguably featuring many forms of romance, barely employ the genre-specific tropes and conventions historically associated with the manga genre (like, for instance, many of the visual novels they also mentioned in their post do).

EDIT: Hmm, because I have posted in this thread again, I guess I should contribute something to the list, as well... How about A Dance With Rogues? It's a Neverwinter Nights mod and definitely not for anyone even remotely faint of heart, but the Princess' romance with Pia is one of the sweetest love stories I've ever seen in a game.

last edited at Jan 12, 2017 5:34PM

Djltnk3ucaamfms
joined Apr 12, 2016

LumberingCrane posted:

Yep, that's why I stated that they specifically mention they're bisexual and that it's intentional. By the way, I don't know why people seem to not remember this part, but Saber specifically mentions that:
"Bishonen is good."
"Bishoujo is better."

Saber specifically mentions in a discussion regarding her sexuality that she thinks pretty girls are better than pretty boys.

Caster also says "To be honest, it's somewhat easier if I had a male as my master. But! If you're uncomfortable doing...certain things, I can fix that with my magic." Or something to that extent. Caster can shapeshift so, think what you will about what this line implies.

Since I'm mostly focusing on Fate/Extra already, might as well say that in 4 days Fate/Extella is coming out on the PS4 and PS Vita, and this game definitely has yuri elements if you pick FeMC again.

Edit: Speaking of FeMCs, surprised that no one mentioned Persona 3 Portable yet. Aside from Elizabeth's "trying to be ambiguous but not really" end with her dates, Aigis' Social Link is filled with Gay Angst™ later on, not to mention FeMC also does the closest thing to robot sexual intercourse with Aigis by exchanging genetic info through touching of an important and sensitive body part that would cause her to make "strange noises." Never actually really saw that part with Aigis that way until Tvtropes pointed that one out.

There's also Soul Nomad & the World Eaters, which is a PS2 srpg from Nippon Ichi(the best one I've played imo) that has one ambiguous yuri ending and one clear-cut yuri ending with yet again another FeMC.

last edited at Jan 12, 2017 6:51PM

Blushav2
joined Aug 11, 2015

There's also the subtext with Mitsuru's social link, where you can be totally sincere about being willing to run away with her, to escape family problems.

Elizabeth and the MC totally have sex at the very end of her link, though. I can't interpret what she says about inviting someone to be alone in a bedroom with you, and then you spending the evening together, as anything else.

Djltnk3ucaamfms
joined Apr 12, 2016

Elizabeth and the MC totally have sex at the very end of her link, though. I can't interpret what she says about inviting someone to be alone in a bedroom with you, and then you spending the evening together, as anything else.

Especially since she specifically mentions that the way she likes FeMC is different from the one with her sister; which makes one of the dialogue choices "Uh...that means we're gal pals, right?!" pretty funny.

last edited at Jan 12, 2017 7:03PM

Fgo_attila_april_fool_2016_opt2
joined Jan 12, 2017

I also didn't know that this game had romance in it, I played a little bit of it and didn't dislike it.
Story and immersion are really good, it reminded me a bit of some MMO, but I was under the impression that it had zero romance because of how things were developing, would you mind telling me more about it? I'm now really curious about who this character is and in which part of the main story does she appear

She's a character who you run into all across the game. It's not really a romance and more that maybe she might be open to a romance if the fate of the world wasn't hanging by a thread, but nothing comes of it.

I don't want to spoil too much because you want to experience it for yourself if you play it, it's really worth it. Anyways she doesn't leave the story until the game ends, that's for sure. Her name is Alyn Shir.
And of course there are dialogue options so you can choose to be an absolute butt to her but if you pick the romantic/affectionate dialogue you'll be more than happy.

I see, looks interesting, I'll give it another try then. Thank you both :)

last edited at Jan 12, 2017 7:30PM

joined Nov 7, 2015

whether their lesbian romances qualifies as yuri is up for debate

um...
...what?

....um.....Yeah what she said...

I really did not want to get into another ontological debate on this forum, but because two people have commented on it, I feel compelled to clarify. Since ShiroHika pointedly asked for a "game with yuri elements", and not for "games with lesbian romance", I simply pointed out that BioWare games are not interactive yuri manga and, despite unarguably featuring many forms of romance, barely employ the genre-specific tropes and conventions historically associated with the manga genre (like, for instance, many of the visual novels they also mentioned in their post do).

EDIT: Hmm, because I have posted in this thread again, I guess I should contribute something to the list, as well... How about A Dance With Rogues? It's a Neverwinter Nights mod and definitely not for anyone even remotely faint of heart, but the Princess' romance with Pia is one of the sweetest love stories I've ever seen in a game.

Yes, I asked yuri elements, but also fine with lesbian romance.

joined Oct 5, 2016

The Last Of Us canon

Can The Last of Us really be called yuri? Sure, Ellie is gay/bi, but she's never seen with a GF in the game itself... I guess Left Behind would be more applicable though poor Riley bites the bullet.

The Last of Us DLC is helllla gay and very sweet.

It's The Last of Us, so it's also bittersweet as fuck obviously, just generally don't go anywhere near Last of Us if you're not ready to cry a bit. But it's real good.

I think the biggest thing with the DLC isn't just that it was a canon lesbian romance, it's that it was between two pretty young teenage girls. Adult same-sex romance is one thing, but you really don't usually see that sort of thing in American entertainment between kids.

Fox_paw_tribal
joined Feb 25, 2013

Question: Was this board for yuri/lesbian-MC centric games, or would games that have lesbian side-characters also work?
Because I finished Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth recently and found out there's a character that has a lesbian crush one of the of main side girls, and said main side girl starts aloof but warms up to the player over the course of the game ("kuudere"?). No actual "romance," but a nice surprise to what I thought was going to be a simple Digimon game.

On a side note, I have a few more games to look into now. XD

Untitled
joined Aug 14, 2014

Question: Was this board for yuri/lesbian-MC centric games, or would games that have lesbian side-characters also work?
Because I finished Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth recently and found out there's a character that has a lesbian crush one of the of main side girls, and said main side girl starts aloof but warms up to the player over the course of the game ("kuudere"?). No actual "romance," but a nice surprise to what I thought was going to be a simple Digimon game.

Go on.. slides glasses up

Fox_paw_tribal
joined Feb 25, 2013

Go on.. slides glasses up

Before anyone jumps into this game thinking there's blatant subtext, I wanted to say don't play it just for "teh yuriz." When I said "warms up" to the MC, I meant they soften up to you and you become important to them. You can use yuri goggles and it kind of works, but it's one of those "friendship triumphs over all!" games and the dialogue is the same whether you choose a female MC or a male.

And the canon lesbian in the game is a side character who's solely devoted (and has a crush on) to her leader and said leader is more than "he" seems. Side character knows their leader's true identity and still likes them. But nothing is ever built on it.

In fact, I was probably wrong to post this suggestion in the first place. Sorry everyone. x_x That said, it's still a good game. Just, get it only if you're a Digimon fan. ^^;

last edited at Jan 14, 2017 3:48AM

To reply you must either login or sign up.