Forum › Non visual novel yuri games?

joined Nov 7, 2015

I realy hate visual novels as game, but I just wanna play game with yuri elements. Any suggestions?

Nishiki%20gosu%20rori%20dark%20hair%20sm
joined Jan 11, 2015

Check out Hella Yuri on steam. Most of the stuff is visual novels, of course, but there are some with more or less yuri that are not.

Fox_paw_tribal
joined Feb 25, 2013
  1. GrimGrimoire (PS2) - Haven't played this one myself, but I believe you can squint and see yuri??
  2. Nights of Azure (PS4) - You don't have to squint for the yuri here. Play your dialogue options right and they're pretty much viewed as a couple by all the other side characters. (Also getting a sequel soon!)
  3. Touhou Project (PC) - Uh... Good luck knowing where to start...

That's from off the top of my head for "yuri centralized" games.

last edited at Jan 12, 2017 4:05AM

Djltnk3ucaamfms
joined Apr 12, 2016

Does Touhou Project actually have yuri canonically? I'm pretty sure it's all from the doujin, it's more "squint really hard during the few moments of interactions between bullet hell" kind of thing. GrimGrimoire definitely requires less squinting, it's pretty easy to see the yuri moments in that game.

Some Atelier games have some yuri if you focus on their interactions. Summon Night 5 is an srpg that has a legitimate non-subtext yuri route with your kouhai and a summon/cross in the game refers to you as onee-sama and is very affectionate with FeMC too. Summon Night Swordcraft story (and its sequel) has a lot of blatant yuri content, especially if you pick the female summon.

Fate/Extra and Fate/Extra CCC has so many since the script/dialogue/every written word is exactly the same between female and male protagonist - so every female character that develops any kind of attraction to the protagonist does so regardless of gender; not to mention it's specifically mentioned that they're bisexual, so it's intentional. Another result from the same script is that FeMC shows attraction to female characters + I actually haven't encountered a single moment where she's attracted to male characters, so it's pretty much impossible to play a straight FeMC in these games. In short, the script is so very obviously written with a heterosexual male protagonist in mind, but since they basically copy and pasted the same script for the female protagonist, it becomes incredibly gay while also inadvertently creating a really strong female protagonist. Top recommendation for these jrpgs in terms of yuri.

Best Mangaka Rohan
25dfc3e30a88f17394a8d2037430b766
joined Dec 13, 2016

Dragon Age series.

Almost 95% of romance able characters are bi. And surprisingly they are good representation.

Rest are either straight or gay/lesbian.

Also story and gameplay is hella lot of fun.

last edited at Jan 12, 2017 4:35AM

Internet_lied
joined Jul 15, 2016

Dragon Age series.

Almost 95% of romance able characters are bi. And surprisingly they are good representation.

Rest are either straight or gay/lesbian.

Also story and gameplay is hella lot of fun.

While BW did take a lot of cues from Japanese RPGs, whether their lesbian romances qualifies as yuri is up for debate, which I will not be getting into here. More to the point, the "95%" estimation is slightly misleading: the hard numbers are that the first game has 1 bisexual female romance, the sequel has 2 bi girls, and the third game, 1 bi and 1 lesbian girl.

Djltnk3ucaamfms
joined Apr 12, 2016

whether their lesbian romances qualifies as yuri is up for debate

um...
...what?

Fgo_attila_april_fool_2016_opt2
joined Jan 12, 2017

Some off the top of my head:

• Almost everything from BioWare, that includes Jade Empire, the dragon age series, the mass effect series...
  • From the developer Winter Wolves, I don't know if they count as VN, but: Loren the Amazon princess, Queen of thieves, Tales of Aravorn: Seasons Of The Wolf, Planet Stronghold... all have RPG elements; though the romances develop just like in a visual novel
  • Like someone said before, Fate Extra is a case of purely aesthetic gender, so you have that one too
  • Another one would be Summon Night: Sword craft story; in this one you have Sugar, one of the guardian beasts that you can summon, she wants to marry the MC, and she doesn't care if you are a girl or a boy.
  • There's also Embric of Wulfhammer's castle, it's a free game made in rpg maker, I really liked this one.
Djltnk3ucaamfms
joined Apr 12, 2016
  • There's also Embric of Wulfhammer's castle, it's a free game made in rpg maker, I really liked this one.

This definitely surprised me too. It doesn't look impressive at first glance, but it's actually really good. I also highly recommend this.

Nishiki%20gosu%20rori%20dark%20hair%20sm
joined Jan 11, 2015

Rabi-Ribi is definitely worth checking out if you like metroidvania type games. It has a killer soundtrack, and tons of cute girls to battle and claim as your friends. Gotta catch 'em all!

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

Well, if you're looking for gay girls, Life Is Strange comes to mind. And of course you can romance girls (as a girl yourself) in Stardew Valley, although there's not really a lot of depth to the relationships.

Alice Cheshire Moderator
Dynasty_misc015
joined Nov 7, 2014

Nezchan posted:

And of course you can romance girls (as a girl yourself) in Stardew Valley, although there's not really a lot of depth to the relationships.

This is pretty true of all the relationships in general there though. Although from what I heard the last major update (which was last month or so iirc) did add some more depth to your partner post-marriage.

Also unrelated but you changing your avatar threw me off for way longer than it should have, lol.

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

Also unrelated but you changing your avatar threw me off for way longer than it should have, lol.

My identity is in question!!

As to Stardew, I didn't mean to imply the girl-girl relationships weren't that deep, but rather no relationship gets into all that much depth, just by the nature of the game. But hey, it's better than Skyrim.

Blushav2
joined Aug 11, 2015

Fate/Extra and Fate/Extra CCC has so many since the script/dialogue/every written word is exactly the same between female and male protagonist - so every female character that develops any kind of attraction to the protagonist does so regardless of gender; not to mention it's specifically mentioned that they're bisexual, so it's intentional. Another result from the same script is that FeMC shows attraction to female characters + I actually haven't encountered a single moment where she's attracted to male characters, so it's pretty much impossible to play a straight FeMC in these games. In short, the script is so very obviously written with a heterosexual male protagonist in mind, but since they basically copy and pasted the same script for the female protagonist, it becomes incredibly gay while also inadvertently creating a really strong female protagonist. Top recommendation for these jrpgs in terms of yuri.

I wouldn't say the script is entirely the same between genders. For examples in /Extra, Saber will mention that she is also attracted to girls if you play as a girl and start romancing her, and Caster says she does not care what gender you are if you say "You know I'm a girl, right?" when she talks about marrying you.

Small things, but the acknowledgement is there.

Djltnk3ucaamfms
joined Apr 12, 2016

I wouldn't say the script is entirely the same between genders. For examples in /Extra, Saber will mention that she is also attracted to girls if you play as a girl and start romancing her, and Caster says she does not care what gender you are if you say "You know I'm a girl, right?" when she talks about marrying you.

Small things, but the acknowledgement is there.

Yep, that's why I stated that they specifically mention they're bisexual and that it's intentional. By the way, I don't know why people seem to not remember this part, but Saber specifically mentions that:
"Bishonen is good."
"Bishoujo is better."

Saber specifically mentions in a discussion regarding her sexuality that she thinks pretty girls are better than pretty boys.

Caster also says "To be honest, it's somewhat easier if I had a male as my master. But! If you're uncomfortable doing...certain things, I can fix that with my magic." Or something to that extent. Caster can shapeshift so, think what you will about what this line implies.

last edited at Jan 12, 2017 12:02PM

Rsz_eiji_3_-_kopie
joined Feb 16, 2015

bolding those that haven't been mentioned yet:

Mass Effect franchise (romance based)
Dragon Age franchise (romance based)
Jade Empire (romance based)
The Last Of Us canon
Borderlands the Pre-Sequel canon
Tales from the Borderlands canon
Dragon's Dogma romance based
Pokémon Sun/Moon with heavy yuri goggles tho
Life is Strange canon/choice based
Undertale canon
Final Fantasy XIII franchise fang and vanille are heavily implied
Metal Gear Solid: Peace Maker canon, but not worth the play just for the yuri imo
Skyrim romance based
Kingdoms of Amalur canon and they're both the main focus of the story (protag and another MC, had no idea this one existed until I played it)
Saints Row IV ''romance'' based, but kinzie and your protag are hella gay in SR3 already
Tomb Raider heavily implied I'd say
Gone Home canon and main focus of game
Overwatch: ??? has a gay character in it idk
Oxenfree with yuri goggles
SOMA heavily implied
Fire Emblem romance based

and then there's always The Sims I guess?

last edited at Jan 12, 2017 12:55PM

Rsz_eiji_3_-_kopie
joined Feb 16, 2015

Oh yeah and the Legend of Korra game, Korra has like one line about Asami, not sure if you're that thirsty but I sure as hell was.

joined Jan 12, 2017

Oh right, I forgot, in the new fire emblem you can romance one female character with the F!Unit, at least it's something, and well, the story and characters are also good in my opinion, so you can play it because of that too.

Kingdoms of Amalur canon and they're both the main focus of the story (protag and another MC, had no idea this one existed until I played it)

I also didn't know that this game had romance in it, I played a little bit of it and didn't dislike it.
Story and immersion are really good, it reminded me a bit of some MMO, but I was under the impression that it had zero romance because of how things were developing, would you mind telling me more about it? I'm now really curious about who this character is and in which part of the main story does she appear

last edited at Jan 12, 2017 1:45PM

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

Wait, Oxenfree actually had yuri? I gotta re-visit that game

Best Mangaka Rohan
25dfc3e30a88f17394a8d2037430b766
joined Dec 13, 2016

whether their lesbian romances qualifies as yuri is up for debate

um...
...what?

....um.....Yeah what she said...

Heres%20wakasa
joined Jul 28, 2016

The Last Of Us canon

Can The Last of Us really be called yuri? Sure, Ellie is gay/bi, but she's never seen with a GF in the game itself... I guess Left Behind would be more applicable though poor Riley bites the bullet.

I was not aware that Dragon's Dogma allowed gay romance... or that it had romance at all, really. It's probably gonna be a Skyrim kind of "relationship" as opposed to an actual relationship, but, still, it's nice that they included it.

Metal Gear Solid: Peace Maker canon, but not worth the play just for the yuri imo

I wouldn't really call Peace Walker yuri either just cause of Strangelove, but it's definitely a solid game regardless.

Overwatch: ??? has a gay character in it idk

It does, but I don't think said gay character mentions her girlfriend or anything about her sexuality even once in the game proper... I dunno though, maybe they'll add some new voice lines soon.

joined Jan 12, 2017

I was not aware that Dragon's Dogma allowed gay romance... or that it had romance at all, really. It's probably gonna be a Skyrim kind of "relationship" as opposed to an actual relationship, but, still, it's nice that they included it.

Not really like Skyrim, personally I think in dragon's dogma they developed relationships a little more with some of the characters, love is a theme tied with the plot after all.
I mean, you can ''romance'' almost everyone and that makes it kinda shallow, but if you choose to pursue some of the more relevant characters of the story it ties pretty well with the plot, and makes for some romantic and cute scenes.

Blushav2
joined Aug 11, 2015

In Dragon's Dogma, it's less romance and more "this is the character you talked to the most before the main story reaches a certain point", or who you gifted a unique ring to before that same point. It's treated as a romance by the game, even results in a fade-to-black love scene by a campfire, and they'll be with you in the ending, though.

I also didn't know that this game had romance in it, I played a little bit of it and didn't dislike it.
Story and immersion are really good, it reminded me a bit of some MMO, but I was under the impression that it had zero romance because of how things were developing, would you mind telling me more about it? I'm now really curious about who this character is and in which part of the main story does she appear

She's a character who you run into all across the game. It's not really a romance and more that maybe she might be open to a romance if the fate of the world wasn't hanging by a thread, but nothing comes of it.

Etult87ueaawqbz_%20(2)
joined Oct 15, 2016

Surprised to see that no one has mentioned Hyperdimension Neptunia. Not yuri per se, but it has a lot of subtext.

Rsz_eiji_3_-_kopie
joined Feb 16, 2015

Oh right, I forgot, in the new fire emblem you can romance one female character with the F!Unit, at least it's something, and well, the story and characters are also good in my opinion, so you can play it because of that too.

It's a character that accompanies you through the entire game, she's mysterious so the backstory behind your protagonist and her reveals little by little so in the beginning you'll have no clue what she's up to but I was surprised by how well written their relationship is.

I don't want to spoil too much because you want to experience it for yourself if you play it, it's really worth it. Anyways she doesn't leave the story until the game ends, that's for sure. Her name is Alyn Shir.

And of course there are dialogue options so you can choose to be an absolute butt to her but if you pick the romantic/affectionate dialogue you'll be more than happy.

To reply you must either login or sign up.