Pfft, that credit page made me giggle.

themusicman500
Non-messed%20up%20face
joined Jan 18, 2016

bachou posted:

i push you away because i love you
someone pls explain

kids are dumb. like, really dumb.

I thought it was because she was scared and ashamed of dealing with the consequences of having kissed Fuyo and the possibility of Fuyo not reciprocating her feelings. In addition arguing with an authority figure can be really hard for a child. Basically she was put under pressure and made a mistake, one she regretted immediately.

Eat%20ass
joined Aug 18, 2015

i push you away because i love you
someone pls explain

The actual line is "I pushed you away because I loved you." so if I'm not mistaken, she's referring to the time after she kissed Fuyo, when Fuyo's parents were about to take her to see a doctor (probably a psychiatrist or psychologist).
I assume Kei was afraid how Fuyo would feel about her after the kiss, and so she pushed her away at that time, instead of supporting her like Fuyo thought she would. Kei goes on to say, on page 19, that she failed to realize Fuyo felt the same way about her.

TL:DR Kei assumed she screwed up, distancing herself from Fuyo when Fuyo needed her the most.

something like that anyways.

edit: and it turns out themusicman answered you sooner than me, much more concisely. that's what happens when I don't read the whole thread I guess!

last edited at Jun 1, 2016 3:12AM

joined Oct 4, 2015

For those calling out the parents, remember that social norms and values are notably different in Japan compared to the West's more individualistic values.

Being weird and a childish might not seem like a big deal here in the West, but in Japan it'd seriously hurt your ability to be part of society. You need to fit in, not stand out. Japan's suicide rates are high for a reason. The parents are really trying hard to give Fuyo a comfortable and happy life, though I guess that doesn't really excuse the pain they inflicted in the process.

Untitled102_20231004232707
joined Mar 26, 2014

For those calling out the parents, remember that social norms and values arep notably different in Japan compared to the West's more individualistic values.

Being weird and a childish might not seem like a big deal here in the West, but in Japan it'd seriously hurt your ability to be part of society. You need to fit in, not stand out. Japan's suicide rates are high for a reason. The parents are really trying hard to give Fuyo a comfortable and happy life, though I guess that doesn't really excuse the pain they inflicted in the process.

Here is Japanese pharse that sums it up rather nicely, "The nail that sticks out gets hit on the head." Meaning the frown upon individuality.

last edited at Jun 1, 2016 5:59AM

Untitled102_20231004232707
joined Mar 26, 2014

Personally I didn't like it because they mentioned rolled omelets more than the flipping rain it should have been named "soggy omelet" or something. Also in Japan they aren't allowed to speak their mind about anything unless alcohol is involved. Booze Traveller watch it.
I'd still like to visit one day. They give foreigners some slack and even respect LBGT Americans who show PDA but ya still got to be careful.

last edited at Jun 1, 2016 5:57AM

yurinaissance
56239_1311160211088_full
joined Oct 30, 2015

I want part 2... The ending is soooo wide open... I like to have a clear ending ...

yurinaissance
56239_1311160211088_full
joined Oct 30, 2015

Those parents are shit... Damn! I do not know about parenthood but having a parents like I'll better to run away and find a living and study...

joined Oct 3, 2015

everyone has weird sides to them.
this was very touching.

5b3c524e-e066-4eaf-8e5f-ae4e37b5edda
joined Jan 18, 2016

HAHAHAH dat credit page

This was good, it was really cute, the art was amezing

Akari-mizunashi-transparent%203
joined Oct 10, 2014

I got the impression Fuyo suffers from amnesia?

last edited at Jun 1, 2016 1:13PM

joined Feb 7, 2016

Amnesia? I don't think so.. What makes you say that? I think she just has a quirky personality

joined Jan 12, 2014

Amnesia? I don't think so.. What makes you say that? I think she just has a quirky personality

Fuyo has autism. And that is a big problem in a group oriented society, as her logic is not the same as "normal people" logic. Her parents try to "fix" her so that she can fit in the society, but she loses part of what makes herself in the process.

Even after reading this n+1 times I'm still a bit confused. I guess the point of this is, that we should let kids be themselves and there will always be someone who loves them. Dunno. Also thought about if Fuyo is just eccentric, or does she have some kind of mental problem. This was one confusing manga o_o

Fuyo has a mental problem, autism, that sometimes is characterized by repetitive behavior, difficulty on grasping abstract concepts like feelings, trouble in reaching to conclusions by logic, etc... and is often described as living in a world of your own.

"...and go off to that other world."
"Do you remember the first time you ever made a rolled omelette?"

These are the hints in the story. The repetitive questions, lack of logic in some situations...

I think knowing about autism is fundamental to understand this story.
At a first glance, the story appears a little disjointed as Transbikes pointed.
We, "normal people" readers, try to see a logic in the whole and make a meaning of everything, while the author paints a world from the perspective of the characters, the mind of a autistic girl and the heart of a girl in love.

"I pushed you away..."
"because I loved you."
"I'm sorry..."

This page is where their worlds converge. Love sometimes is confusing, sometimes makes no sense, sometimes follow no logic. Trying to be hated by the one you love, denying your true feelings... The heart of the girl in love is not so much different of the mind of the autistic girl. Not guided by reason or logic, but sentiment and feelings.

But by making it clear, in a way Fuyo can understand, Kei can finally reach her.

"If you start doing things like that, people will think you're crazy."
"You're so hard to understand."

In my opinion this manga is brilliant, a true piece of Art. Everything has a meaning, including the drawing style (why the faces/people appear a little blurred in contrast to the detailed objects as a way to illustrate the point of view of a autistic). Dissertation worthy.

And kudos to the translators, for not losing anything in the translation. I know it's very difficult to translate works where every word is important to the story.

joined Apr 6, 2014

Fuyo has autism. And that is a big problem in a group oriented society, as her logic is not the same as "normal people" logic. Her parents try to "fix" her so that she can fit in the society, but she loses part of what makes herself in the process.

Even after reading this n+1 times I'm still a bit confused. I guess the point of this is, that we should let kids be themselves and there will always be someone who loves them. Dunno. Also thought about if Fuyo is just eccentric, or does she have some kind of mental problem. This was one confusing manga o_o

Fuyo has a mental problem, autism, that sometimes is characterized by repetitive behavior, difficulty on grasping abstract concepts like feelings, trouble in reaching to conclusions by logic, etc... and is often described as living in a world of your own.

"...and go off to that other world."
"Do you remember the first time you ever made a rolled omelette?"

These are the hints in the story. The repetitive questions, lack of logic in some situations...

I think knowing about autism is fundamental to understand this story.
At a first glance, the story appears a little disjointed as Transbikes pointed.
We, "normal people" readers, try to see a logic in the whole and make a meaning of everything, while the author paints a world from the perspective of the characters, the mind of a autistic girl and the heart of a girl in love.

"I pushed you away..."
"because I loved you."
"I'm sorry..."

This page is where their worlds converge. Love sometimes is confusing, sometimes makes no sense, sometimes follow no logic. Trying to be hated by the one you love, denying your true feelings... The heart of the girl in love is not so much different of the mind of the autistic girl. Not guided by reason or logic, but sentiment and feelings.

But by making it clear, in a way Fuyo can understand, Kei can finally reach her.

"If you start doing things like that, people will think you're crazy."
"You're so hard to understand."

In my opinion this manga is brilliant, a true piece of Art. Everything has a meaning, including the drawing style (why the faces/people appear a little blurred in contrast to the detailed objects as a way to illustrate the point of view of a autistic). Dissertation worthy.

And kudos to the translators, for not losing anything in the translation. I know it's very difficult to translate works where every word is important to the story.

Great analysis; I also determined that Fuyo could be mildly autistic, but unlike you, I couldn't bring myself to not hate Kei for pushing her away in that manner.

Wizardofwonder
joined Sep 11, 2015

Did the last page imply that she isn't better at all?

It's to show that things have been remedied and the protagonist and her are back together again.

Your_hair_has_gotten_longer_by_folksneedheroes-d5l5v69
joined Apr 23, 2015

Damn. Real good.
Nicely done leads. Very believable flaws and circumstances.

Welcome to my favorites list. Enjoy your stay. It's forever.

Really would like to see them when things are much more chill.

joined Jan 31, 2013

I love it! Fuyo kinda reminds me of Fuko from Clannad.

Purple Library Guy
Kare%20kano%20joker
joined Mar 3, 2013

I don't think she has autism. Autism has become both increasingly fashionable and, for unknown reasons, apparently increasingly common in the real world, so it's understandable that it's rather a "go-to" mental problem. But the way she acts doesn't seem autism-ish to me. I don't think her behaviour was unusually repetitive, or that she particularly had trouble grasping feelings, and in particular it didn't seem to me that she had the basic typical autism problem, trouble representing other people in her mind as being humans like her.
Really, I don't think she has anything that it would be responsible to characterize with a disorder label. She's absent-minded and impractical and follows her imagination, forgetting about social rules and authority. With enough discipline, they were able to stop her from being like that by putting her in a box and giving her eyes like a dead fish.

But how "bad" a thing it was in the first place was more a matter of how tight society's collective ass is than of it being anything too terrible in itself. And I don't give much of a fig about the notion of it being all OK because Japan's social rules. Really, we have similar social rules; anyone's a little different and we diagnose the hell out of them and drug them and stuff, because everyone has to be insta-ready to work and generally serve the needs of society. Used to be worse in a lot of ways, maybe is worse now in others. I'm not happy about our social rules that mess people up, I can be upset about Japan's too.

(If I were going to try some kind of fashionable diagnosis on the kid, I'd pick ADHD before autism)

On the omelette thing: I think she kept going back to that because of the point: She did it all wrong, not according to how you're "supposed" to do it, but it tasted fine. So maybe it's OK to do things a little different, be a little different--it could turn out perfectly fine. It wasn't a weird repetitive behaviour, it was just a touchstone for her.

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

I don't think she has autism. Autism has become both increasingly fashionable and, for unknown reasons, apparently increasingly common in the real world, so it's understandable that it's rather a "go-to" mental problem.

The unknown reasons are primarily increased ability to detect the disorder at an earlier age, and to some degree reclassifying other issues that weren't considered on the spectrum before.

On the omelette thing: I think she kept going back to that because of the point: She did it all wrong, not according to how you're "supposed" to do it, but it tasted fine. So maybe it's OK to do things a little different, be a little different--it could turn out perfectly fine. It wasn't a weird repetitive behaviour, it was just a touchstone for her.

Yeah, it's clear the omlette was intended to illustrate their relationship, rather than some part of her disorder.

Alice Cheshire Moderator
Dynasty_misc015
joined Nov 7, 2014

Purple Library Guy posted:

I don't think she has autism. Autism has become both increasingly fashionable and, for unknown reasons, apparently increasingly common in the real world, so it's understandable that it's rather a "go-to" mental problem. But the way she acts doesn't seem autism-ish to me. I don't think her behaviour was unusually repetitive, or that she particularly had trouble grasping feelings, and in particular it didn't seem to me that she had the basic typical autism problem, trouble representing other people in her mind as being humans like her.

There are many different ways autism can manifest, what you described is just the typical way. Also a lot of people with high functioning autism have a lot less trouble grasping feelings and such than most people think. For many people with Asperger's syndrome, for example, it's a matter of overstimulation. Someone with AS is perfectly capable of learning normal social cues, for example, (and indeed most of them do learn at least some as they get older) but it's a matter of them having to learn how to filter out the extraneous information.

It's completely possible she could have some form of high functioning autism. And in my personal experience her actions aren't totally unexpected from an autistic person. Though they are more unexpected from a girl than a boy. Girls with high functioning autism actually commonly go undiagnosed because girls are, by nature, more social and so an autistic girl is going to end up adapting better than a boy.

Dynav
joined Aug 6, 2013

That's why I fixed all the weird parts in myself.

God, that hit me hard. I wasn't expecting to cry re-reading this.

joined Jan 8, 2014

That's why I fixed all the weird parts in myself.

God, that hit me hard. I wasn't expecting to cry re-reading this.

Right!? I practically shuddered a cry(gasping for air in those "depths" the protaganist was talking about perhaps?) Nah, just found it so relatable <3

I really enjoyed reading the comments of the thread as well...I was thinking autism as well but then thought maybe just A.D.D. since she's always shown as "look-look" but the weird made me think autism(eating flowers, forgetting clothing...sensible stuff)

And I absolutely loved the rolled omelette question ^_^
Didn't make it how everone else does but in the end it didn't matter it was still rolled omelette <3
Anyway...just wanted to exclaim my enjoyment of this unique one-shot, found and re-read

Thumbnail_0f974c4024acb1498ed2be1bfb41d2cc3a513746
joined Jul 21, 2013
Nozomi
joined May 11, 2017

D'aww Fuyo's such a cutie

To reply you must either login or sign up.