Forum › A Kiss And A White Lily discussion

Img-20190201-wa0005
joined Sep 21, 2015

OH NO not another couple... oh my god following the track of this series is a huge pain in the ass xD

Also... the blog girl MUST be one of the couple.. I bet on the short haired one.

Loving one person? Definetely.
Loving two? Can* happen... people normally just choose the one that suits them better, or the one that is required.
Loving three? Can* happen... but I guess it seldom would happen in a row, and much less at first sight... I can't feel that as love but as a "like".
Loving even more? Oh I wish, it would be paradyse.

last edited at Jan 4, 2017 5:46AM

joined Feb 15, 2015

...what just happened? lol?

joined Jan 6, 2014

i would be screaming POLY if i wasn't at work... sigh~

Capture%20sakukallen
joined Apr 17, 2015

Hiruma remids me of Sakaki from Azumanga Daioh

…True. XD Full with the love of cats and a girl crushing on her.

I've never seen polyamory as a real theme in a series before (except here and its sequel, but only one woman is polyamorous, her other partners aren't :/),

Oh hey, thanks for the links. =3

Anyway, the way I see it, Amane is someone who seeks to fill a huge affective void. The ways she reacts when Ryou rejects her and then when she accepts her, are quite significant. The latter is not the subdued "just as planned" or "hey, thanks" face, but a "OMGOMG IS THIS HAPPENING FOR REAL?!" face. Izumi said that "she only had room for one person in her heart"… but Amane might not feel fulfilled unless she has several. That would be why she seems to fall in love so easily.

…Goddamnit I don't want it to end badly for her. TT__TT

bring on the NTR

Nice Triangle Relationship, yes.

Loving even more? Oh I wish, it would be paradyse.

High School DxD? :þ

Healing-punchiiiii
joined Jan 21, 2016

I don't know... I get the feeling that Shin'ya is actually Nina and the reason why Shin'ya doesn't reply anymore is because she's jealous of Amane and Ryou. Maybe she's awkwardly into Ryou...

joined Apr 28, 2016

The nice thing about poly stuff is that I have no idea how it will play out.

Hanging%20chito%20ava
joined Dec 18, 2016

Oh, a love triangle with a poly girl & two others with complete opposite views on the poly girl's definition of love? Interesting~ Probably among the most interesting arcs we have so far. At this point, I feel like Canno is planning on writing AnoKiss forever, exploring more & more interesting dynamics, which means we should officially forget that Ayaka x Yurine exists if we haven't already.

Also, ALL HAIL LONG BLACK PONYTAIL!

Capture%20sakukallen
joined Apr 17, 2015

By now I'm pretty sure Canno plans to develop AyaYuri in odd-numbered volumes and ignore them in even-numbered ones.

What are the volumes where they're developed? 1, 3 and 5. What are the ones without them? 2, 4 and 6. So logically we should see them again in volume 7, and they'll disappear again in volume 8 (if they series isn't over by then).

Miki_closeup
joined Mar 20, 2014

Heck, what is going on in this manga? Did Canno completely forget about Yurine and Ayaka? The other girls are nice, but they don't hold a candle to those two.

Dark_Tzitzimine
67763073_p3
joined Dec 18, 2013

To be honest, is really hard to keep track of all the characters and relationships at this point.

Sin%20t%c3%adtulo-min
joined Sep 28, 2011

"And thus we have a-"
" NO! "
"...And thus we have a love tria-"
" OH GOD NO! "
"......And thus we have a love triangle in this yuri you like so-"
" NONONONONO! WE WERE SO CLOSE! WE WERE ALMOST FREE! WHY MUST WE FOREVER CARRY OVERUSED CLICHES AROUND WITH US LIKE A SCROTUM FULL OF HORSESHOES? "

Oh Yatzhee, thank you for helping me always knowing what to say and how to say it

But cliche is the engine that runs yuri. Cliche is what makes yuri so enjoyable. If you don't like cliche, why are you reading yuri? Cliches are an easy way to pack in a ton of meaning into one small spot because they're easily recognizable. They're what make pop fiction and romance fiction, well, popular. They're great to use in writing, regardless of what your creative writing teachers say. And besides, experimental fiction is a chore to read and pretentious. Innovation isn't always fun when you're seeking out derivative romance fiction. Even Takemiya Jin, the revolutionary queen of yuri style, uses love triangles (The way she picks apart and nukes older yuri conventions in the first chapter of Fragments, though, is exquisite).

And as long as the writer can breathe some new life into the cliche, like here with interesting characters and a fun story, rather than just mindlessly use old tropes, it's fine. And good yuri doesn't even have to do that.

Calling a love triangle cliche is rather odd, though. It's a standard story archetype. Like, you wouldn't say it's cliche to end a chapter with a hook, or to have a rising action followed by a climax, would you?

Well, apparently I'm the only person here who is bloody tired of love triangle as a cheap resort to add drama. It's because cliches are so overused that so many Yuri works fall into the same formula over and over again, and why this particular work was so refreshing.

Think of it this way: so far, the only couple that falls for the classic Yuri formula is the photograph/model one. Miscommunication, the promise made when they were little, childhood friends, tsundere all over... That's the Yuri formula. It's not bad, but it's very overused.

The rest, however? They have been built in particular settings and scenarios not always explored. For example: girl had a crush on her close friend, who might or might not reciprocate, while a new girl appears in scene. The formula dictates that the close friends will end up together, and that the new girl is just misleading.

But what did it happen here? Chiharu let go of her old crush after sorta-kinda-but-not-really-confessing and let place for Izumi to become a new love. And, as we've seen, they're happy together. See? Not overused cliches, not unnecessary drama, and a smooth and refreshing development. That's good.

But love triangle just for the sake of drama? That's cheap and overused. Sure, one of the angles in this triangle is all up for poly and the other doesn't mind, but it's still build up so it can lead to drama, something that was refreshingly absent in this work.

Now you defend it. You say "Yuri is build on cliches". Man, that's one of the reasons why we rarely get new developments in Yuri. We're fine with reading the same scenario over and over and over again. Look at what Nishi Uko does with their works: different situations in different environments. I think we all agree that Collectors is on of the more refreshing takes on Yuri we've got for a while. And it works so well precisely because it doesn't relies on the cliches we all know so well.

So yeah, I call this an unnecessary cliche that had no place in such a well written story as this one.

Now, do I trust Canno to write it in an interesting direction? Sure. But that doesn't make it any less infuriatingly over used

last edited at Jan 4, 2017 2:23PM

Capture%20sakukallen
joined Apr 17, 2015

I don't know. As long as it's meaningful and well managed, a little drama doesn't hurt in small doses (like with Yukina and Towako). I wouldn't call the existence of a triangle a cliché in itself, it can be a cliché or not depending on how it's used. And here it's definitely used in an unusual way. I would have been more irritated if, say, the brief misunderstanding at the end of chap 26 had turned into an arc instead of being solved instantly.

And really… if you're introducing a polyamorous character, it's kinda hard not to have a triangle involved.

last edited at Jan 4, 2017 2:51PM

Hanging%20chito%20ava
joined Dec 18, 2016

Well, apparently I'm the only person here who is bloody tired of love triangle as a cheap resort to add drama. It's because cliches are so overused that so many Yuri works fall into the same formula over and over again, and why this particular work was so refreshing.

But love triangle just for the sake of drama? That's cheap and overused. Sure, one of the angles in this triangle is all up for poly and the other doesn't mind, but it's still build up so it can lead to drama, something that was refreshingly absent in this work.

Drama is not default terrible/cliche writing. Just because a series has drama doesn't mean that it's bad. It depends on how well the drama is handled. As you said, this love triangle is set up to possibly explore poly. So to say that it's only there for the sake of drama is contradicting. Also, this series is not completely free of drama. The gardening arc has its drama.

5b3c524e-e066-4eaf-8e5f-ae4e37b5edda
joined Jan 18, 2016

As much as I love all the side stories, I'd wish we'd see more of the main girls

Screenshot_2016-11-14-13-53-17(2)
joined Feb 7, 2014

This shir is gonna get good , also miss ayaka x yurine

Mayuri_icon
joined Jun 24, 2015

"And thus we have a-"
" NO! "
"...And thus we have a love tria-"
" OH GOD NO! "
"......And thus we have a love triangle in this yuri you like so-"
" NONONONONO! WE WERE SO CLOSE! WE WERE ALMOST FREE! WHY MUST WE FOREVER CARRY OVERUSED CLICHES AROUND WITH US LIKE A SCROTUM FULL OF HORSESHOES? "

Oh Yatzhee, thank you for helping me always knowing what to say and how to say it

But cliche is the engine that runs yuri. Cliche is what makes yuri so enjoyable. If you don't like cliche, why are you reading yuri? Cliches are an easy way to pack in a ton of meaning into one small spot because they're easily recognizable. They're what make pop fiction and romance fiction, well, popular. They're great to use in writing, regardless of what your creative writing teachers say. And besides, experimental fiction is a chore to read and pretentious. Innovation isn't always fun when you're seeking out derivative romance fiction. Even Takemiya Jin, the revolutionary queen of yuri style, uses love triangles (The way she picks apart and nukes older yuri conventions in the first chapter of Fragments, though, is exquisite).

And as long as the writer can breathe some new life into the cliche, like here with interesting characters and a fun story, rather than just mindlessly use old tropes, it's fine. And good yuri doesn't even have to do that.

Calling a love triangle cliche is rather odd, though. It's a standard story archetype. Like, you wouldn't say it's cliche to end a chapter with a hook, or to have a rising action followed by a climax, would you?

What the fuck.

joined Aug 6, 2015

Mysterious blog cat girl has to be angry short haired girl. She stopped replying after the panel showing her glaring. She figured it out.

2x2-shinobuden-m001
joined Dec 14, 2014

http://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/a_kiss_and_a_white_lily_ch27#31

Even Maya-senpai got a flower during her short visit to Seiran (although we have no clue what color it is)!

Chinatsu%202
joined Jan 27, 2016

I hope this doesn't go the "Poly person is proved wrong and magically becomes monogamous upon meeting the 'right' person" route because that's just insulting.

Mostly%20sunny
joined Oct 26, 2016

I hope this doesn't go the "Poly person is proved wrong and magically becomes monogamous upon meeting the 'right' person" route because that's just insulting.

I don't mean to be "that guy", but outside of fiction, polyamorous relationships are never long-lived and are always doomed to fail. They are inherently unhealthy. Monogamous relationships are complicated enough already. The more individuals with different ways-of-thinking and motivations you throw into the mix, the more complicated and unstable the dynamic becomes. It's all in the math.

Stroke_it
joined Aug 1, 2014

Chapter 27, page 18, panel 2: "Realy" should be "Really"

Also, chapter 28 and the internet shorts are out of order.

Parseewtc
joined Jul 6, 2016

I don't mean to be "that guy", but outside of fiction, polyamorous relationships are never long-lived and are always doomed to fail. They are inherently unhealthy. Monogamous relationships are complicated enough already. The more individuals with different ways-of-thinking and motivations you throw into the mix, the more complicated and unstable the dynamic becomes. It's all in the math.

(citation needed)

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

Outside of fiction, poly relationships are beset by attitudes just like that one, which puts undue pressure on the relationship. As you say, monogamous relationships are complicated, even without dopes running around selling the idea that they're inherently unhealthy and doomed to fail.

Screenshot_2016-12-27-13-58-01-1
joined Mar 23, 2014

(citation needed)

Yeah I second this. Where the heck did you get that idea?

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

Sunnyskies posted:

They are neither unhealthy or doomed to fail.

But it takes a lot to make it work for the people involved.

Because it's difficult to meet everyone's expectations.

And mostly because of external pressure, like yours.

To reply you must either login or sign up.