Forum › Clumsy Girlfriend discussion

joined Feb 19, 2015

What the actual fuck is with the afterword? Talmbout girl-girl relationships are all mistakes made by silly high school girls who'll grow up and realize men were the correct choice all along... GET FUCKED
Unless the author was being mournfully amused by all these stupid ass tropes, I can't like the spirit this work was created in

Screen%20shot%202016-04-20%20at%207.35.18%20am
joined Dec 20, 2015

Well, that was a shitty as fuck afterword...

I kinda wished KyoAni would do something right for once but I guess not...

Now I feel like shit after all this...

Non-messed%20up%20face
joined Jan 18, 2016

Oh yikes that afterword made me grit my teeth it was like a confluence of shitty Japanese stereotypes about queer women.

Whoa I didn't bother reading it, frankly it's a little strange. Is my reading comprehension failing me? Was the author being sarcastic? I can't believe a person could draw so many heartfelt stories about lesbian(?) romance and then write something like that.

last edited at Dec 25, 2016 6:18AM

32104671_1715652908533240_2109611648586088448_n
joined Jul 30, 2015

When Kyoani didn't make ouer wish come true... than we must make much Fanarts of them!! :D
I love it!

Sayaka_ava
joined Nov 23, 2014

I did not get the feeling that the afterword was speaking of girl-girl relationships generally but rather about Kumiko and Reina specifically, and honestly seemed pretty accurate on that account.

I kinda wished KyoAni would do something right for once but I guess not...

Did they do something wrong though? Well either way, I am just happy that the second season has been very good, much better than the first one that I felt was merely okay in fact.

joined Feb 15, 2013

Did S2 end already? With het end and such?

Screw it honestly. I stopped watching after the double Ep 1 of S2. As I realised that it was a conclusive ending for Kumirei. They can't Yuri bait you, if you only take the bait and never bother to bite the hook.

Still the most romantic yuri star date ever through. No one they ever do will reverse that

last edited at Dec 25, 2016 7:05AM

Etult87ueaawqbz_%20(2)
joined Oct 15, 2016

Hibike! Euphonium was the most blatantly queer-baiting show for two seasons, so I'm honestly a bit surprised at the people who were surprised/disappointed by it! At least they were (to my eyes) upfront about it by making it clear that Reina was deeply and passionately in love with Taki-sensei. There is a meaningful yuri narrative that could spring from this, but I didn't think this show ever demonstrated an interest in such.

You know whats funny about this whole "love" she feels for Taki? That the same thing people used to describe her relationship with Kumiko (Its just a phase and whatnot), could be said about falling in love with a teacher, but since the teacher is a guy, this one is the real deal.

Sayaka_ava
joined Nov 23, 2014

Hibike! Euphonium was the most blatantly queer-baiting show for two seasons, so I'm honestly a bit surprised at the people who were surprised/disappointed by it! At least they were (to my eyes) upfront about it by making it clear that Reina was deeply and passionately in love with Taki-sensei. There is a meaningful yuri narrative that could spring from this, but I didn't think this show ever demonstrated an interest in such.

You know whats funny about this whole "love" she feels for Taki? That the same thing people used to describe her relationship with Kumiko (Its just a phase and whatnot), could be said about falling in love with a teacher, but since the teacher is a guy, this one is the real deal.

"A phase" that has lasted for years, to be fair.

Etult87ueaawqbz_%20(2)
joined Oct 15, 2016

While she's still a young girl. What Taki thinks regarding Reina's feelings was the most spot on thing in that show, "It's just admiration for a teacher," which is exactly what they should say about her feelings for him. If Taki was a female teacher, people would instantly call it exactly that.

Sayaka_ava
joined Nov 23, 2014

While she's still a young girl. What Taki thinks regarding Reina's feelings was the most spot on thing in that show, "It's just admiration for a teacher," which is exactly what they should say about her feelings for him. If Taki was a female teacher, people would instantly call it exactly that.

Probably. That however does not make Kumiko x Reina any less fanfiction. Heck, 90% of the content on this site would probably fall under "she's still a young girl", making most of the romances depicted, while all cute and fluffy in theory, most likely very transitory in reality. To clarify I am not saying that gay love itself is transitory, but high school crushes certainly are. So really whoever Reina has "true" feelings for, any interpretation is probably as equally valid as any other.

joined Feb 20, 2016

That afterword sums up everything I hate about Class S bullshit.

Etult87ueaawqbz_%20(2)
joined Oct 15, 2016

Probably. That however does not make Kumiko x Reina any less fanfiction. Heck, 90% of the content on this site would probably fall under "she's still a young girl", making most of the romances depicted, while all cute and fluffy in theory, most likely very transitory in reality. To clarify I am not saying that gay love itself is transitory, but high school crushes certainly are. So really whoever Reina has "true" feelings for, any interpretation is probably as equally valid as any other.

Oh yeah, totally. I'm not arguing that KumiRei is the real deal or anything like that, i actually never expected anything from them after investigating a little bit about the source material, i'm arguing that people don't treat her affection for Taki the same way they do with her affection for Kumiko. They're both in the same boat, which is the "high school crush boat." Reina could easily meet someone else in college and all this talk about being the only one for Taki would become just another stupid thing she did as a kid, but since Taki is a young adult widower, she's "deeply" in love with him and he's not just a "highschool crush" for her.

last edited at Dec 25, 2016 7:59AM

joined Apr 22, 2014

Oh, don't get me wrong, I definitely don't think what she's feeling for Taki is One True Love forever or whatever, just that in the context of this show, I didn't see much reason to be optimistic about romance between Kumiko and Reina.

Tiny%20melon
joined Oct 17, 2014

The afterword got me pretty depressed haha. I mean I've accepted the possibility of a neutral or even het end in either girls' future but still ouch, for a doujin artist to say it. You're supposed to keep the dream alive yo!

last edited at Dec 25, 2016 9:04AM

62342532_p4_3
joined May 27, 2015

Man.

I used to like this guy. See my profile picture. Same artist. I haven't watched Hibike, and I have no interest in doing so, but I've heard about the bait and the het, but when I saw the number of comments as I was reading the doujin I still wondered "why so many comments?" Then I got to the afterward. I feel kinda sick now.

Sayaka_ava
joined Nov 23, 2014

Oh yeah, totally. I'm not arguing that KumiRei is the real deal or anything like that, i actually never expected anything from them after investigating a little bit about the source material, i'm arguing that people don't treat her affection for Taki the same way they do with her affection for Kumiko. They're both in the same boat, which is the "high school crush boat." Reina could easily meet someone else in college and all this talk about being the only one for Taki would become just another stupid thing she did as a kid, but since Taki is a young adult widower, she's "deeply" in love with him and he's not just a "highschool crush" for her.

Oh my, what is this wonderful feeling? Is... is this how it feels to be in agreement with someone online? Surely it must be a Christmas miracle! ;)

Cs4_cover
joined Jul 13, 2015

I don't like to use the word bait because is pretty imprecise.
I prefere the word convenience since is more exactly.
Series like Hibike had convenience when they go yuri in some point but stuck in a part to avoid become a romance.
In this case, the silly Reina crush is for avoid go that far, for silly reason but yeah.

Capture
joined Mar 26, 2016

I didn't read the afterword until now and damn, I'm so disappointed with the mangaka. Is he serious? Did I misunderstood what he said? I read so many Nanofate doujins from him, damn, I can't believe that he considers the love between pairings as just a phase, a dark past for the characters.

Kururi
joined Aug 25, 2015

What the actual fuck is with the afterword? Talmbout girl-girl relationships are all mistakes made by silly high school girls who'll grow up and realize men were the correct choice all along... GET FUCKED
Unless the author was being mournfully amused by all these stupid ass tropes, I can't like the spirit this work was created in

The author does say "straight people". If that was some sort of "yuri is just a phase" thing, they wouldn't bother to use the word "straight". They are just trying to justifiy why they still love the pairing, probably, even though they're straight. You have to agree that straight girls having lesbian sex does sound like a mistake of their past. (I don't think straight girls would enjoy lesbian sex, but that's another thing.)

By the way, considering just the anime, it makes no sense call it a "phase", because Reina was never in love with Kumiko. They had a lot of gay moments that KyoAni probably thought "well, it's two girls, no one will take it seriously". If that was supposed to be romance, we would have some scenes with Kumiko jealous about Reina's crush, but no...

It was bait, sure, but it was never supposed to be romantic in canon. Contrary to Midori in Tamako.

last edited at Dec 25, 2016 10:26AM

A9fe1102-7f0e-4701-a4a9-e2611d5c44c7
joined Jan 14, 2016

Aaah now that the ship is sinking this is the best Christmas gift ;w;

last edited at Dec 25, 2016 3:15PM

Capture
joined Sep 22, 2014

I get that the afterword is the general attitude towards young girls in relationships over there (that they'll grow out of it, it's a phase, it's a mistake/practice for "real" relationships with boys), and that actually comes up as a talking point in other stories, but it's still ...sobering to see that in the end. Especially after the short bit about Kumiko and Reina grown up and living together?

Capture
joined Mar 12, 2014

The author does say "straight people". If that was some sort of "yuri is just a phase" thing, they wouldn't bother to use the word "straight". They are just trying to justifiy why they still love the pairing, probably, even though they're straight. You have to agree that straight girls having lesbian sex does sound like a mistake of their past. (I don't think straight girls would enjoy lesbian sex, but that's another thing.)

By the way, considering just the anime, it makes no sense call it a "phase", because Reina was never in love with Kumiko. They had a lot of gay moments that KyoAni probably thought "well, it's two girls, no one will take it seriously". If that was supposed to be romance, we would have some scenes with Kumiko jealous about Reina's crush, but no...

It was bait, sure, but it was never supposed to be romantic in canon. Contrary to Midori in Tamako.

THIS!!

I'm still kinda bitter with KyoAni and their queerbaiting that caused all these arguments. I mean if KumiRei wasn't given so many lovey-dovey moments together (tell me when is the last time your friend bump forehead with you and tell you they are confessing their love to you), we wouldn't even care if they get together or not. Thankfully I'm well over with KumiRei in canon. I dropped the anime from ss1, so I can see pass the canon and read about them like they are truly into each others rather than finding reasons to excuse their straightness like the author did.

But then again, if you can't forget about canon, is it really worth it spending time or emotion on two straight girls who are just baiting tools while there're much more yuri materials out there?

last edited at Dec 25, 2016 12:30PM

1-1%20-%20copy
joined Feb 3, 2013

I'VE WAITED 84 YEARS FOR TRANSLATED KUMIREI DOUJINS!!! THANKS SO MUCH SCANLATORS BEST XMAS PRESENT

Etult87ueaawqbz_%20(2)
joined Oct 15, 2016

Oh my, what is this wonderful feeling? Is... is this how it feels to be in agreement with someone online? Surely it must be a Christmas miracle! ;)

Haha ikr? Its nice to find someone like that on forums for a change.

I didn't read the afterword until now and damn, I'm so disappointed with the mangaka. Is he serious? Did I misunderstood what he said? I read so many Nanofate doujins from him, damn, I can't believe that he considers the love between pairings as just a phase, a dark past for the characters.

I like to believe that he meant that these specific characters (KumiRei) would look back on their lives like that. It would be extremely weird if the author has those ideas after writing so many good yuri stories over the years, kinda sad too since all of those characters end up getting married to some random guy after the doujins are done. I mean, how could you even write cute yuri stuff if you think they're all just playing pretend?

last edited at Dec 25, 2016 1:01PM

Homu2
joined Mar 23, 2015

Jumping on the bandwagon here but, that afterword is maddening. Sadly the prevalent sentiment in Japan towards it.

To reply you must either login or sign up.