Forum › Citrus discussion

Copy%20of%20corn%20thief%20maki%20maki%201
joined Jun 17, 2014

Heck, that's even the case for the two girls in my avatar. Although these two are kinda psychopathic but that's another matter.

cross ange made me cringe and its just the worst tbh and it kinda ruined nana mizuki for me.

That's the worst type of yuribait, really. I'm still hopeful for Hibike though.
Also another thing I really hate is when a good character gets paired with a bland one (maybe main character), just to become an ego booster for (some of) the viewers.

i screamed on the inside when tusk just came out of nowhere he was so unnecessary and he should of died when he allahu akbard himself.

joined Jan 26, 2016

Citrus chapter 23
It was very interesting, legit development, tackling legit issues

This comment actually got me on the series again.
and I'd just finished chapter 23.
The rough translations actually hurts the plot a little.. I had to read the chinese translations for a better idea of what was going on in one or two scenes. that being said, thank you to the translators :) I appreciate it. And I could help out if it's chinese raws you're translating from.

And since everyone's dropping an opinion:
I gave up on the series around chapter 17, the twins thing, I found it really draining to be following the emotional rollercoaster. So I gave the series a rest for a year. But honestly the art is too good to leave alone.
And I reread it.. all the way up to the current chapter,

IMO this series works a lot better if you're not chasing it's every release. When you read a chapter every two months their struggle seems pretty eternal. When read as a whole, the pace seems a lot more digestable and the drama becomes believable.
I understand the ups and downs can feel repetitive though I'm really enjoying how every problem has the both of them facing it differently. In the sense that their relationship progresses and hence changes the way they face the challenges.

The twins arc was poorly written, aside from that, I'd recommend a re-read if you'd want to revive your hope in the series (It helps to leave it alone till you can refresh your memory and more chapters release. It's necessary actually)

Thank god I waited for girlfriends to complete before I'd started. I would've died waiting.. and the pace wouldn't have felt as natural and innocently romantic to me.

This is the suggestion from someone who'd rather wait out a series and binge read/watch.. so, to each their own.

But I really enjoyed it a lot better the second time around. It was too much of a waste to give up on this series really.
and I'd support mainstream if it gets me more yuri material.

So that being said.. One of the biggest factors that caused for all the flak is the fact that it was so hyped..? I'd like to support the author without that in mind.. and also leave room for mistakes,as I would for any other storyteller who has consistent deadlines and a big fanbase to consider.

But if you cant stand it, leave it alone, it's not worth the upset.. I've read so many negative comments.. some seem like legit considerations and POVs.. but lots of it felt like jumping the bandwagon to me.
I do agree with some of the flaws though.. You got to close an eye to enjoy it better for this one.
This comment is for anyone looking for that comment to give you a reason to start the series without the flaw analysis in mind.

JUST READ IT IF YOU FEEL LIKE IT. AND HAVE FUN WHILE YOU"RE AT IT. or don't if you've got 'that bad feeling'.
I apologise for the length of my post.

Img-20190201-wa0005
joined Sep 21, 2015

What the hell happened to this discussion...

Here some fun:

FUCKING TRAIN SOUNDS AGAIN Lmao I love that translator anon. Also forgive my shit censorship.

Hinataskype
joined May 26, 2011

I'm also not counting valkyrie drive mermaid. i didn't watch it because it looked like a male-gaze fanservice nightmare

I honestly find pretty contradictory the way you claim to want more yuri that goes beyond the regular norms of the genre when you're so quick to dismiss something that did exactly that simply because it didn't fit your preconceptions about what an innovative yuri had to be.

VDM is not perfect by any means but is pretty earnest on what it is and what it wants to do and does't shy away from the yuri elements, making it a pretty memorable experience whether your liked it or not.

Late reply, and yes it is contradictory of me I will admit that, but it's also just my personal opinion. Nudity can be done tastefully in anime, I enjoyed Yuri Kuma Arashi and there were quite a few times where the characters were naked. it wasn't perfect, but also didn't make me roll my eyes because boobs were jiggling unrealistically just to keep me watching. I didn't watch VDM myself, but did have friends who fought their way through the first episode and said I wouldn't enjoy it, so I took their word for it (and considering one of the new "hooks" in the trailer for the latest valkyrie drive game is that it is "lewder" tells me that is their target and not making an actual interesting story). I think an innovative series should be a interesting concept/story that doesn't need pointless fanservice to inflate its views. Series don't become the greatest or top 10 best for having the most panty shots... unless it's a list specifically pertaining to that. which might exist actually. huh.

i lost my train of thought there wondering if such a list actually exists. what was i saying?

I still enjoy citrus, can't wait for the next volume to be released sometime next year.

Dark_Tzitzimine
67763073_p3
joined Dec 18, 2013

Late reply, and yes it is contradictory of me I will admit that, but it's also just my personal opinion. Nudity can be done tastefully in anime, I enjoyed Yuri Kuma Arashi and there were quite a few times where the characters were naked. it wasn't perfect, but also didn't make me roll my eyes because boobs were jiggling unrealistically just to keep me watching. I didn't watch VDM myself, but did have friends who fought their way through the first episode and said I wouldn't enjoy it, so I took their word for it (and considering one of the new "hooks" in the trailer for the latest valkyrie drive game is that it is "lewder" tells me that is their target and not making an actual interesting story). I think an innovative series should be a interesting concept/story that doesn't need pointless fanservice to inflate its views. Series don't become the greatest or top 10 best for having the most panty shots... unless it's a list specifically pertaining to that. which might exist actually. huh.

But see that is the thing, you can't really make an informed decision if you only watch the first episode of anything. Especially on shows like Valkyrie Drive where hidden depths and plot twists are common. And interestingly, Valkyrie Drive's japanese fanbase is mostly made by women and they have little interest in the fanservice and would rather focus on the characters and their relationships.

The videogame is also very different to the idea you've formed based on a pretty simplistic trailer, SK is lewder by a noticeable margin and once again, its plot take some pretty interesting turns past the middle point, something that people won't know if they drop it after the first hour.

joined Dec 13, 2015

Citrus and GF are totally overrated, but I stil got attached and enjoy them. Being mainstream shouldn't mean people can't like them :X
And omg lmao I can't stand Lily Love. Aside from the cute moments here and there, it's an absolute bore.

it doesn't force-feed you drama

Please.
Nothing substantial happens besides drama (i dont remember anything else, it was probs slice of life ish or something)
The ex-girlfriend jumping in and trying to stay over?
The ex girlfriend's psycho kidnapping ex boyfriend?
Mew getting accepted to study abroad?
Ice confessing to Donut and Donut kissing Ice?
(The homophobic father is technically drama too, but that's the most legit thing. The presentation of it could be better, but it's a very real issue and tackling it is a solid plot point)

Please.
You could have suggested something so much better.
A lot of series have flaws ofc, and well, you like what you like, I won't hold it against you, but I find it rather cringe that the series you praised does the same thing you hate on Citrus for.
Citrus and GF at least have a smoother flow/pacing, to their drama.

At least with "Lily love" The drama move's along very smoothly, Where with Citrus It's like "LOOK ! THIS GIRL WHO WE'VE NEVER INTRODUCED BEFORE IN THIS SERIES WANTS TO BREAK UP MEI & YUZU ! FEAR FOR THEIR RELATIONSHIP ! LOOK, MEI'S ANGRY AT HER DAD FOR LEAVING HER AT A YOUNG AGE ! FEAR FOR MEI & YUZU'S RELATIONSHIP ! LOOK, YUZU & HER FRIEND BOTH HAVE MEI AS THEIR LOVE INTEREST ! FEAR FOR YUZU & MEI'S RELATIONSHIP ! LOOK, YUZU IS GOING TO RUN AGAINST MEI AS PRESIDENT ! FEAR FOR THEIR RELATIONSHIP !" It gets old after a while.

Whaaaaaaa? I can completely understand feeling that Citrus's drama gets old after a while, because a lot of it is just repeated and a little underdeveloped love triangles but it's are more natural than the schtick Lily Love pulls out. The whole "ex-boyfriend is a crazy guy trying to kidnap people! Oh no, wait, he's not that bad, let's give him a hug" was just fking weird, came out of nowhere, and, frankly, kinda creepy. Sure, the drama moves along, but that's because they pull the craziest and stupidest plot lines out of nowhere, and that does not make for good drama at all.

joined Oct 29, 2016

So Yuri Project has dropped the series, is there anyone to continue? Everything I've found so far is of rather sad quality...

joined Dec 13, 2015

Ngl tho there were a lot of "rivals" (Momokino, Matsuri, Sara), for both Yuzu and Mei but I didn't mind, just cus it's a cliche doesn't make it bad :O I quite enjoyed Matsuri's arc
Besides, in Lily Love, you have Ploy and Ice, that's still 2, and if you, SF, like it, that's fine too. Idc about LL, you dont care about Citrus, that's fine, but it's just plain being in denial if you shit on Citrus for x things, and praise LL, but like, they're the same cliches? What I've come to understand is that we both respectably prefer one series' execution of those plot points better than the other, which is ofc, fine

Lyendith, even if yuri is not as popular of a genre, it can still have stuff that are like, popular within its own fandom ofc. "Mainstream yuri" sounds like an oxymore but like, even within something niche, within the fandom, there can be more overrated things

I think the reason why people felt the rivals were getting "repetitive" was cos the last one (Sara? Is that her name?) was barely developed as a character, she was just around to pine for Mei and wasn't fleshed out at all. Matsuri's deviousness and Momokino's (kind of obsessive) knowledge of Mei's history + her previous acquaintance with Mei made them seem a lot more distinctive as characters (and seem like actual challenges), so it didn't feel repetitive.

I guess the baseline is that author needs to stop rushing through storylines and develop whatever is on hand more.

joined Dec 13, 2015

So Yuri Project has dropped the series, is there anyone to continue? Everything I've found so far is of rather sad quality...

I've been reading from Manga Fox while I wait for my local bookstore to stock up on hardcopies. It's adequate, I guess?

last edited at Oct 29, 2016 12:53PM by Nezchan

Vegitab%20profile%20pic%20smoll%20tumblr
joined Sep 21, 2014

Citrus and GF are totally overrated, but I stil got attached and enjoy them. Being mainstream shouldn't mean people can't like them :X
And omg lmao I can't stand Lily Love. Aside from the cute moments here and there, it's an absolute bore.

Please.
Nothing substantial happens besides drama (i dont remember anything else, it was probs slice of life ish or something)
(The homophobic father is technically drama too, but that's the most legit thing. The presentation of it could be better, but it's a very real issue and tackling it is a solid plot point)

Please.
A lot of series have flaws ofc, and well, you like what you like, I won't hold it against you, but I find it rather cringe that the series you praised does the same thing you hate on Citrus for.

At least with "Lily love" The drama move's along very smoothly, Where with Citrus It's like "LOOK ! THIS GIRL WHO WE'VE NEVER INTRODUCED BEFORE IN THIS SERIES WANTS TO BREAK UP MEI & YUZU ! FEAR FOR THEIR RELATIONSHIP ! LOOK, MEI'S ANGRY AT HER DAD FOR LEAVING HER AT A YOUNG AGE ! FEAR FOR MEI & YUZU'S RELATIONSHIP ! LOOK, YUZU & HER FRIEND BOTH HAVE MEI AS THEIR LOVE INTEREST ! FEAR FOR YUZU & MEI'S RELATIONSHIP ! LOOK, YUZU IS GOING TO RUN AGAINST MEI AS PRESIDENT ! FEAR FOR THEIR RELATIONSHIP !" It gets old after a while.

HAHAHA
Please.

LOOK ! THIS GIRL WHO WE'VE NEVER INTRODUCED BEFORE IN THIS SERIES WANTS TO BREAK UP MEI & YUZU ! FEAR FOR THEIR RELATIONSHIP !

Ploy.

LOOK, MEI'S ANGRY AT HER DAD FOR LEAVING HER AT A YOUNG AGE ! FEAR FOR MEI & YUZU'S RELATIONSHIP !

Well nothing wrong with that actually, it's part of Mei's background. Besides, Mew has a worse relationship with her father

LOOK, YUZU & HER FRIEND BOTH HAVE MEI AS THEIR LOVE INTEREST ! FEAR FOR YUZU & MEI'S RELATIONSHIP !

Ice.
Tbh, if Mew knew, if the author doesn't actually brush off Donut's 'unsubtlety' under the rug, that would really damage their trust for each other

LOOK, YUZU IS GOING TO RUN AGAINST MEI AS PRESIDENT ! FEAR FOR THEIR RELATIONSHIP !

As opposed to studying abroad and not telling your girlfriend you even applied?

I legit shook my head at every dramatic plot point in LLove, nothing about it was smooth. If Citrus can be summed up with "A NEW CHALLENGER HAS ARRIVED", everything that happened in LL was "DUN DUN DUN BULLSHIT DETECTED".

I think the reason why people felt the rivals were getting "repetitive" was cos the last one (Sara? Is that her name?) was barely developed as a character, she was just around to pine for Mei and wasn't fleshed out at all.

You more or less knew about the kind of person she was in the first part of her arc, but I think she was pretty fleshed out when you consider the whole arc. She was kind, brave (in love), considerate and selfless. Easily the nicest character in Citrus, a pure soul.

last edited at Oct 29, 2016 6:04PM

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

Is "What's worse, Lily Love or Citrus" the dumbest argument on Dynasty right now, or just in the top 3?

Z%20ss
joined Oct 15, 2013

Well, both artists got pretty shoddy writing.
Tho i think the problems they have are different.

1383023_409776295790444_214555291_n
joined Jul 17, 2016

is there any yuri work that is considered a masterpiece of the gender (or pretty good) by everyone or at least a big part of the yuri fandom? Every yuri fan seems to disagree so much... other anime genres have their masterpieces to say.

Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

Scarlet128 posted:

is there any yuri work that is considered a masterpiece of the gender (or pretty good) by everyone or at least a big part of the yuri fandom? Every yuri fan seems to disagree so much... other anime genres have their masterpieces to say.

It doesn't really matter. Everyone should enjoy what they enjoys.

Shine,%20aru
joined Feb 15, 2016

I just decided to catch up with the rough translations. They're not the best but I appreciate them. What's more, the series is SO MUCH BETTER right now. AAAAaaaahhh, It just puts this big smile on my face and sets my heart aflutter. I'm seriously in love with it; kind of wish I could read it raw every time it was released but I don't know the first thing about subscribing to Japanese publications (and I'm pretty sure Citrus is either magazine or mobile app only). Damn.

But like seriously, it's so damn good; not even ironic appreciation. I'm adoring it right now.

last edited at Nov 2, 2016 9:21PM

joined Dec 13, 2015

Please.

Please.

HAHAHA
Please.

LOOK ! THIS GIRL WHO WE'VE NEVER INTRODUCED BEFORE IN THIS SERIES WANTS TO BREAK UP MEI & YUZU ! FEAR FOR THEIR RELATIONSHIP !

Ploy.

LOOK, MEI'S ANGRY AT HER DAD FOR LEAVING HER AT A YOUNG AGE ! FEAR FOR MEI & YUZU'S RELATIONSHIP !

Well nothing wrong with that actually, it's part of Mei's background. Besides, Mew has a worse relationship with her father

LOOK, YUZU & HER FRIEND BOTH HAVE MEI AS THEIR LOVE INTEREST ! FEAR FOR YUZU & MEI'S RELATIONSHIP !

Ice.
Tbh, if Mew knew, if the author doesn't actually brush off Donut's 'unsubtlety' under the rug, that would really damage their trust for each other

LOOK, YUZU IS GOING TO RUN AGAINST MEI AS PRESIDENT ! FEAR FOR THEIR RELATIONSHIP !

As opposed to studying abroad and not telling your girlfriend you even applied?

I legit shook my head at every dramatic plot point in LLove, nothing about it was smooth. If Citrus can be summed up with "A NEW CHALLENGER HAS ARRIVED", everything that happened in LL was "DUN DUN DUN BULLSHIT DETECTED".

I think the reason why people felt the rivals were getting "repetitive" was cos the last one (Sara? Is that her name?) was barely developed as a character, she was just around to pine for Mei and wasn't fleshed out at all.

You more or less knew about the kind of person she was in the first part of her arc, but I think she was pretty fleshed out when you consider the whole arc. She was kind, brave (in love), considerate and selfless. Easily the nicest character in Citrus, a pure soul.

Late reply on my part, soz. I suppose I felt like "pure soul" doesn't make for great character exploration/depth, especially when the extent of her role was just "obstacle". It's not like Sara has any true moral dilemma to wrestle with as a "pure soul" (which is perhaps the only thing that interests me about these sort of characters) , and there was precious little exploration into why she was that way (versus the glimpses we got into Momokino's long history and mutual-ish reliance with Mei that developed into obsession and possessiveness, etc). The moment they established that she was that nice, the rest of the arc felt like a drag, because there was no real tension, since I know there's no way she won't step aside for YuzuMei, so I wondered why we were even wasting time with her character. I guess I just wasn't remotely invested in her (as opposed to Matsuri who I like, and Momokino who entertains me), and it felt pretty draggy and lame to get another generic obstacle character that was 100% guaranteed to not make much of a difference.

Etult87ueaawqbz_%20(2)
joined Oct 15, 2016

I just decided to catch up with the rough translations. They're not the best but I appreciate them. What's more, the series is SO MUCH BETTER right now. AAAAaaaahhh, It just puts this big smile on my face and sets my heart aflutter. I'm seriously in love with it; kind of wish I could read it raw every time it was released but I don't know the first thing about subscribing to Japanese publications (and I'm pretty sure Citrus is either magazine or mobile app only). Damn.

But like seriously, it's so damn good; not even ironic appreciation. I'm adoring it right now.

Its starting to get interesting, so i really hope it continues to go from there and not deviate too much since we know its near impossible for Saburouta to stay away from needless drama.

67763073_p3
joined Dec 18, 2013

YASSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

Etult87ueaawqbz_%20(2)
joined Oct 15, 2016

It was a matter of time tbh. They've been looking for an anime studio since late last year if i recall correctly.

Untitled
joined May 8, 2013

So many better choices they could have gone with. Bleh. Well, cheers for those who enjoy this.

Soralaylaff
joined Oct 16, 2013

The thing I'm worried about though is how are they going to end the anime? Since the manga isn't finished yet, this could mean a really crappy/rushed ending. Unless this means the manga might be ending soon.

joined Jun 30, 2015

Just read the announcement, holy shit and here I thought i'd never see a legit yuri anime
Today is a good day

Cryssoberyl Uploader
Booklet1-high-pink-experiment
Zefiberyl Translations
joined Apr 11, 2011

There are a large number of "legit yuri anime", it's merely that most of them are more than 6 years old. This is quite possibly the most significant event in yuri anime since Aoi Hana. As such, it's naturally of profound interest, and possibly profound consequence.

As for how far the anime may go, the end of chapter 20 would be a perfect spot for a final scene.

last edited at Nov 15, 2016 4:50AM

Etult87ueaawqbz_%20(2)
joined Oct 15, 2016

As for how far the anime may go, the end of chapter 20 would be a perfect spot for a final scene.

The kiss of chapter 16 could also be quite good for a final scene, but i don't really think they could make a standard 12 episode adaptation out of just 16 chapters.

To reply you must either login or sign up.