Forum › Yuri in other Media (list in first post)

joined Mar 25, 2013

The Handmaiden is very good, it's right up there with Saving Face as my favorite gay movie. It's also based on Sarah Waters' novel Fingersmith, which is excellent.

There's a very long discussion thread here if anyone's interested: http://s1.zetaboards.com/L_Anon/topic/5920311/1/

Also there are trailers on YouTube.

Huh, a lot of people are praising it and saying it's better than the BBC version (which I haven't watched and I haven't read the book either).

Here I am, just waiting for subs. A little wary of the rumored torture scene, but, how much people love it is a good sign. Then again, they typically loooove angst and drama so xD

Johanliebert
joined Dec 15, 2015

The Handmaiden is very good, it's right up there with Saving Face as my favorite gay movie. It's also based on Sarah Waters' novel Fingersmith, which is excellent.

There's a very long discussion thread here if anyone's interested: http://s1.zetaboards.com/L_Anon/topic/5920311/1/

Also there are trailers on YouTube.

Saving face is good but not my favorite. To me, the best gay movie is by far Mulholland drive. [which I also consider as the best movie ever].
Followed by Carol, Black swan (even if it's one sided and not really yuri), Children's hour (still not 100% yuri), Naissance des pieuvres ( known abroad as Water lilies) and Summer of sangaile.

Talking about Fingersmith, I remember having seen a movie adaptation but the novel remains way better.

I also somehow remembered the weirdest gay movie I've ever seen and that's not on the list : I, You, He, She (original title is Je, tu, il, elle), made by Chantal akerman. I really do not advise you to watch it (if by any chance you find it) unless you like ... UFOs ?

last edited at Aug 5, 2016 4:25PM

OriginalGengar
Kira%202
joined Nov 29, 2014

The best lesbian movies ever made are clearly D.E.B.S and Imagine Me & You.

Jackavi
joined Feb 23, 2014

So Peridot and Lapis are totally F using offscreen, I dont even ship the two and it's damn obvious.
sigh RIP Amedot, I loved you like a daughter.

last edited at Aug 5, 2016 9:16PM

Roomie
joined Mar 9, 2014

I'm sorry but I have to say you are all wrong. I, who have the best and most unbiased taste of all think that the best lesbian movie is Joe + Belle. (Well D.E.B.S is equally awesome V_V)

Toffee%20copy%202
joined Jan 2, 2014

So I bought battleborn now before y'all tie me to a stake and set me on fire for betraying our overwatch overlords it's actually really fun and has a lot of hella gay moments

last edited at Aug 5, 2016 11:03PM

OriginalGengar
Kira%202
joined Nov 29, 2014

Battleborn is a really fun game, would've probably bought it if more of my friends did as well. Any spoilers for gay moments? Only played the beta so I only had access to 2 missions.

Joe + Belle is really good. I can live with your opinion on that.

last edited at Aug 6, 2016 1:55AM

OriginalGengar
Kira%202
joined Nov 29, 2014

So that one Lesbian Princess short apparently is a series now.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5vtqDuUM1Dkz4dE8H7REbK2nx8GoyZ8C

Toffee%20copy%202
joined Jan 2, 2014

Battleborn is a really fun game, would've probably bought it if more of my friends did as well. Any spoilers for gay moments? Only played the beta so I only had access to 2 missions.

pretty much every moment with the characters deande and melka

Toffee%20copy%202
joined Jan 2, 2014

That was a pain to get through I mean the acting was okay I guess but dear lord the main character super was unlikeable she insulted her mom who was just trying to be nice and was a total tool to the jester girl

last edited at Aug 8, 2016 2:21AM

Jackavi
joined Feb 23, 2014

That was a pain to get through I mean the acting was okay I guess but dear lord the main character super was unlikeable she insulted her mom who was just trying to be nice and was a total tool to the jester girl

Agreed, the first one was pretty good imo but the moment "white privilege" was uttered all the way to the end the comedy was on a slow decline.
Also black people shouldn't even be there around that time because most of the continents were undiscovered.

Kitsune Spirit
Kokkurisanicon
joined Apr 8, 2013

Just goes to show that some things are better off left as a one-shot. Unfortunate.

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

Agreed, the first one was pretty good imo but the moment "white privilege" was uttered all the way to the end the comedy was on a slow decline.
Also black people shouldn't even be there around that time because most of the continents were undiscovered.

Psst...there were black people in Europe, even northern Europe, in the middle ages. Traders, slaves, there are paintings of black nobles that go back to the 1400s, There were quite a lot of black Muslims passing through Spain and Portugal, and of course ranging further north, as far back as the 8th century. Places that were big trading hubs, such as parts of what later became Poland, got a pretty wide variety of people through.

I doubt that the show is really that concerned with historical accuracy to start with though.

joined Mar 25, 2013

I doubt that the show is really that concerned with historical accuracy to start with though.

If they were, they would have covered the princess' tattoos at least xD

Edit: Anyone seen 'The Girl King'? The tags in IMDB show that there is yuri to be had in the movie, but still.
Edit 2: I have a feeling I've asked before.

last edited at Aug 8, 2016 12:56PM

joined Mar 13, 2016

Anyone seen 'The Girl King'? The tags in IMDB show that there is yuri to be had in the movie, but still.

I've seen it... but I didn't like it - at all.

It isn't a great movie in general (the pacing is atrocious, for example). As for the yuri... Sure, there's a lesbian relationship but without spoiling the ending, the movie just can't decide whether being homosexual is a good thing or not. It isn't exactly homophobic but there are these symbolic moments where you think "Okay, what are you trying to imply with that...?". For example, in one scene the lesbian couple is secretly having sex on top of a big Satanic bible .

It's one of those shabby historical movies where the protagonist is "ahead of its time", is influential for a while - but in the end doesn't change anything. And all you're left with is an after-credits-text announcing the baby-steps of progress the protagonist actually enforced. It's the kind of movie that wants to inspire but instead seems like it's desperate for attention. The movie wants to send an inspiring message (relevant to a present-day-crowd) but is really clumsy in utilizing a historical incident to do that.

Also... the lesbian relationship ends badly and the movie ends with the queen going to Italy (alone) to build a GREAT library .

last edited at Aug 8, 2016 4:30PM

Toffee%20copy%202
joined Jan 2, 2014

It's fantasy so I can give it a pass but most of the time the humor was non-existent also they need to know that

A) Not all guys like stereotypical dude bro humor

B) Guys don't find you funny because "it's not talking about they're privilege" but your just not funny or clever

and

C) Continuity is important is it a gay tavern or a straight one you need to address these things

SIGH anyone know when Carmilla comes back

last edited at Aug 9, 2016 12:39AM

Rsz_eiji_3_-_kopie
joined Feb 16, 2015

Anyone seen 'The Girl King'? The tags in IMDB show that there is yuri to be had in the movie, but still.

I've seen it... but I didn't like it - at all.

It isn't a great movie in general (the pacing is atrocious, for example). As for the yuri... Sure, there's a lesbian relationship but without spoiling the ending, the movie just can't decide whether being homosexual is a good thing or not. It isn't exactly homophobic but there are these symbolic moments where you think "Okay, what are you trying to imply with that...?". For example, in one scene the lesbian couple is secretly having sex on top of a big Satanic bible .

It's one of those shabby historical movies where the protagonist is "ahead of its time", is influential for a while - but in the end doesn't change anything. And all you're left with is an after-credits-text announcing the baby-steps of progress the protagonist actually enforced. It's the kind of movie that wants to inspire but instead seems like it's desperate for attention. The movie wants to send an inspiring message (relevant to a present-day-crowd) but is really clumsy in utilizing a historical incident to do that.

Also... the lesbian relationship ends badly and the movie ends with the queen going to Italy (alone) to build a GREAT library .

Agree with some of these points but I personally loved the movie and since the movie is based on history that actually happened the ending isn't surprising at all and the relationship you're talking about does end badly but not in a terrible ''murder all the lesbians'' way, they just go seperate ways. I found their relationship throughout the movie compelling and they deeply cared for eachother. I say it's worth it, the main character is a very interesting person.

OriginalGengar
Kira%202
joined Nov 29, 2014

SIGH anyone know when Carmilla comes back

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ll-j6Z228_s

"Real soon"

joined Mar 25, 2013

Meh, I'll skip it then. Don't like bad ends, or when they don't get together.

I watched The Handmaiden though, and it's pretty great. Also managed to be funny at times. The torture scene was funny as well.

I read a summary about what happens in the novel and he put a nice twist to it that I really like. Also a happy ending so. I really liked the music in the movie as well. One song reminds me of another song that I can't remember the name of, but yeah.

Overall, a really, really awesome movie.

Edit: One thing that I really didn't understand why Hideko did what she did was, why did she let Tamako believe that she fucked him? I mean, when you haven't gotten to Hideko's POV, sure, it makes sense, but when you know what happened fully, there's no real reason for that. Sure, they could've showed Hideko telling her she didn't sleep with him, but they didn't, so yeah.

last edited at Aug 11, 2016 8:04PM

Toffee%20copy%202
joined Jan 2, 2014

"Real soon"

good seeing to see their making progress but I really want it soon

last edited at Aug 13, 2016 12:08AM

joined Mar 25, 2013

Bella Thorne is bi. That's something. I guess we'll see if she's really bi or just said she is because she can.

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

Bella Thorne is bi. That's something. I guess we'll see if she's really bi or just said she is because she can.

Why is it our business, and why do we need her to prove it?

I can understand in terms of fictional characters, but real people? That's kinda stepping over some lines.

joined Mar 25, 2013

Why is it our business, and why do we need her to prove it?

I can understand in terms of fictional characters, but real people? That's kinda stepping over some lines.

You don't understand, we gotta go full creep. Otherwise it doesn't count :P

Rsz_eiji_3_-_kopie
joined Feb 16, 2015

So Paige is back on PLL, I really hope Paily is going to be endgame.

joined Mar 25, 2013

Has Sunstone finished? Or at least the story for the ladies? I know the fifth part is the last one and it was near the end (I think).

Edit: Now that I think about it, how about uploading it here? I mean, obviously with the author's permission. They seem like cool people. And not all at once, maybe a page every couple of days or something, so it doesn't fade to the background. A link for the paperbacks could be put on the main page of the series as well. I know I'm gonna be buying them when I manage to scrounge up the cash.

last edited at Aug 27, 2016 6:37PM

To reply you must either login or sign up.