Forum › Which Anime Adaptation disapointed you.

358386-arisato
joined Jan 30, 2016

You think to yourselves that a great manga or a great video game series you know should have an anime adaptation cause that would rock right. Then they just messed it up do you know that feeling ?

Mine was from the Megaman Starforce series.

last edited at Feb 1, 2016 12:46PM

joined Jan 8, 2016

berserk

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

Sasameki Koto

Alice Cheshire Moderator
Dynasty_misc015
joined Nov 7, 2014

Wouldn't be a bit more concise to make a thread about what anime adaptations haven't disappointed people? In my experience that's a far less common occurrence.

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

Yuri Kuma Arashi... didn't even finish it, it was like a stage play but I couldn't really care for the characters... except for Lulu and then, well...

Also Tokyo Ghoul, they removed way too much.

Can someone tell me what's happening in the manga of Akuma no Riddle? when I started the anime, the manga had few episodes translated, but that anime ending... can't help but think that it was made up.

last edited at Feb 2, 2016 12:02AM

joined May 23, 2015

Yuri Kuma Arashi... wasn't an adaptation.

drpepperfan Admin
Ss%20(2018-09-18%20at%2004.40.05)
joined Oct 12, 2010

Supernatural, The Anime. Obviously.

Dark_Tzitzimine
67763073_p3
joined Dec 18, 2013

Supernatural, The Anime. Obviously.

I know right?

WHERE IS THE SECOND SEASON

Copy90_90_zpscf246422
joined Sep 18, 2014

In general or just for yuri titles?

In general: Naruto is just awful to the point I switched to the manga and never came back.

Roomie
joined Mar 9, 2014

You can do worst than Naruto the manga ? How is that possible, I don't believe it,

Copy90_90_zpscf246422
joined Sep 18, 2014

You can do worst than Naruto the manga ? How is that possible, I don't believe it,

Believe it! ahem

In all seriousness, it's true. It's telling how the Storm series is a better adaptation than the anime. Guess which adaptation isn't finished yet, considering the source manga is over a year and a few months ago?

I also thought of another one: Tsubasa Rservoir Chronicle. The anime's pacing is very bad with a lot of fillers. The OVA is a bit better but it skipped an arc. In any case, you should read the manga together with xxxHolic anyway.

Roomie
joined Mar 9, 2014

I also thought of another one: Tsubasa Rservoir Chronicle. The anime's pacing is very bad with a lot of fillers. The OVA is a bit better but it skipped an arc. In any case, you should read the manga together with xxxHolic anyway.

And Card Captor Sakura for a little more of this universe

joined Jan 8, 2016

oh, right, shoujo sect in hindsight

joined Jan 4, 2014

Sasameki Koto

Seconding Sasameki Koto, adding Aoi Hana and Hourou Musuko. All three were really well done, but it would be wonderful to actually see a bit more than the first chapter or so. Incompleteness killing the stories…

K2
joined May 22, 2014

Hmm that's hard . Tokyo Ghoul was pretty bad. Sasameki Koto was good but it disappointed they didn't another season. Aoi Hana was unappealing from the moment it became a anime. I HATE the Sailor Moon original Eng dub because of all the censoring of same-sex relationships. They changed Haruka and Michiru from lovers to cousins and that was pretty homophobic in my opinion.

last edited at Feb 22, 2016 2:00AM

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

Believe it! ahem

In all seriousness, it's true. It's telling how the Storm series is a better adaptation than the anime. Guess which adaptation isn't finished yet, considering the source manga is over a year and a few months ago?

Or you can skip it and read xxxHolic instead, which is a much better series and only requires minimal knowledge of TRC.

UranusAndNeptuneAreJustCousins
joined Sep 6, 2015

I HATE the Sailor Moon original Eng dub because of all the censoring of same-sex relationships. They changed Haruka and Michiru from lovers to cousins and that was pretty homophobic in my opinion.

HEY NOW! Just what are you implying about Amara and Michelle?? Trying to taint their pure family bond with yuri... Just kidding, lol.
In all seriousness, the Cloverway dub was actually hilariously inefficient, since they basically only stated that the two were cousins, but then left in practically all the scenes unchanged, effectively turning them from a lesbian couple into an incestuous lesbian couple. The DIC dub of the first two seasons, on the other hand, was pure butchery.

As for me, "Aoi Hana" and "Sasameki Koto" would be my biggest disappointments. Probably because they had so much potential, but never went anywhere.

Charon-sml
joined Feb 14, 2016

Aoi Hana definitely needed a second cour, if not longer. I loved what we got so I can't call it a disappointment but I agree that it wasn't enough.

last edited at Feb 22, 2016 10:40AM

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

The DIC dub's main focus seemed to be removing any shred of personality and motivation from Venus. They really had it in for her.

joined Sep 6, 2015

They had it in for everything. Moon and Mars were also quite unlike themselves, personality-wise. Then those little cuts of almost any scene containing a sweat-drop (because that is so un-Western like), or comically distorted faces, or a piece of Japanese writing, or... just about anything. I remember some episodes lasting for something like 16, 17 minutes because of all the stuff they cut. And the ending was just atrocious. Gods forbid we have characters dying. Can not have that. Nope.
Problem was, they licensed a work targeted at adolescents/young adults, but somehow concluded it was actually for small children, and then tried to mould it into such a framework.

last edited at Feb 22, 2016 11:08AM

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

Speaking about it, sorry for cutting the flow... How about the new adaptation of Sailor Moon? I'm planning to watch it (in bluray of course,those first animation errors were creepy) and I've heard it was more accurate to the manga.

joined Sep 6, 2015

Speaking about it, sorry for cutting the flow... How about the new adaptation of Sailor Moon? I'm planning to watch it (in bluray of course,those first animation errors were creepy) and I've heard it was more accurate to the manga.

I watched it. It really does follow the manga more closely, and it is good. Not great, but not bad either, at least for me. Main problem is, it has too few episodes, so the characters do not get nearly as much characterization as in the original anime, which also makes the emotional scenes, well, not terribly emotional. I just could not feel sympathy for characters whom I hardly got to know. So, the main flaw would be that it is somewhat rushed.

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

UranusAndNeptuneAreJustCousins posted:

I watched it. It really does follow the manga more closely, and it is good. Not great, but not bad either, at least for me. Main problem is, it has too few episodes, so the characters do not get nearly as much characterization as in the original anime, which also makes the emotional scenes, well, not terribly emotional. I just could not feel sympathy for characters whom I hardly got to know. So, the main flaw would be that it is somewhat rushed.

I guess they thought "they already knew the characters so let's skip some development" or something hehe, thanks!

joined May 24, 2014

The wild arms TV series are just plain weird, they were one of bee train's first anime series but most of the episodes are standalone stories, and also you never feel any real friendship between the characthers (a key plot element in any wild arms game). Still an ok series but nothing special.

SPOILERS.

Irving valeria from WA 2 is THE ONLY characther that has an actual bearing on the main plot...kanon and juddeca are in-name-only, but at least you get to see the crimson nobles before they were wiped out.

last edited at Feb 22, 2016 8:51PM

Vegitab%20profile%20pic%20smoll%20tumblr
joined Sep 21, 2014

Yuri Kuma Arashi... didn't even finish it, it was like a stage play but I couldn't really care for the characters... except for Lulu and then, well...

Also Tokyo Ghoul, they removed way too much.

Can someone tell me what's happening in the manga of Akuma no Riddle? when I started the anime, the manga had few episodes translated, but that anime ending... can't help but think that it was made up.

We're at chapter 41 rn, Hanabusa was just defeated
Honestly, I don't remember if it was so for the previous fights, but the Hanabusa fight was done in SOOO little pages. If you hadn't watched the anime, you wouldn't have understood what happened at all
Rushed af

To reply you must either login or sign up.