Forum › Bloom Into You discussion

Book%20and%20cloakhbq1
joined Aug 1, 2011

Is there a more generalized version of the Dunning–Kruger effect's corollary?
Instead of it being A skilled person knows something > The skilled person does not consider themselves exceptional > It's normal for people to know the thing they know it becomes Yuu thinks she should act a certain way > Yuu considers herself a normal girl with no reason to act in an unusual way > Anyone would act the way she would act.

It's an interesting bit of rationalization.

joined Feb 18, 2015

I just decided to reread the ones here on Dynasty and I have to agree that the "I just did what anyone would have done" line stands out quite strongly.

It is interesting because, from very early on in the story, it appears that Yuu thinks of Nanami-sempai in a special way. In the first chapter, when she is seeking advice about the love confession, she decides to ask her because of the fact that she sees a similarity between them based on Nanami's statement that she has never gotten exited about being confessed to by someone.

Then, as the story continues, she repeatedly notices Nanami's true feelings that she is able to hide behind a mask of competence and bravado from even her closest friends. She simply understands her better than anyone else. I don't see any indication that she has this kind of insight into other people's thoughts or feelings.

She also tends to bend over backward to help Nanami and protect her from, among other things, herself. She is baffled by why a person who is as fragile as she knows Nanami is would put herself in positions time and again where she has to perform in the public eye, with the price of failure being the dissolution of her carefully designed persona that she has built atop the frightened, shy little girl who couldn't make friends and hid behind others. Yuu, who is the only person who knows the real Nanami-sempai, seems dedicated to protecting the public face that Nanami has built. When Nanami, and now Maki, notice how special Nanami seems to be to her, from other people's perspectives, she consistently responds with a variation on the theme of "That is what anyone would do." She doesn't recognize her special treatment of Nanami as being special. (I wonder if her opposition to the play isn't at least partially motivated by the fact that she knows it will be nerve wracking for Nanami?)

I really would like someone to ask her, "If that is what anyone would do, is it what you would do for anyone? If it were someone other than Nanami-sempai, would you go so far to support/protect them?" I really would like to know the answer to that myself! I don't know if she would say yes or no... (My gut says that the real answer is no, that she wouldn't go that far to protect someone else.)

In a lot of ways, it seems like, if you were not privy to Yuu's inner thoughts, you would think that she was in love with her fairly early on. Her behavior patterns certainly make it seem that way. In fact, you might think that she was in love, but either too shy or unsure of herself to show it openly.

In any event, the line at the end of chapter 5 speaks volumes: "I couldn't just simply give up. But I didn't realize it at that time."

I really do love this story! It is very well written.

Noeek
joined Mar 17, 2015

I dont know why but Maki speech about watching love unfold and that all he wants is to be a spectator, it felt very lonely. Like he wants to isolante himself from others... Probably just reading too much into it.

Chibi_blademan
joined Jul 23, 2013

Maki has two older sisters, one younger sister, and no brothers, likes yuri (or at least romance), is kind of shy but not to any sort of extreme, and prefers to be a spectator. Am I Maki?

Untitled-1
joined Aug 29, 2013

Maki has two older sisters, one younger sister, and no brothers, likes yuri (or at least romance), is kind of shy but not to any sort of extreme, and prefers to be a spectator. Am I Maki?

Do girls come to you for advice?

Capture
joined Mar 9, 2013

How interesting, a tad creepy at first but I don't think I mind Maki too much.
As for the story, I sense incoming drama. I am excited.

Screenshot_7
joined Aug 22, 2014

I'm in love with Maki too. (?)

Rsz_1rsz_lilylove
joined Jun 5, 2014

I quite like Maki. He seems like a good foil for our protagonist.

Jazz
joined Oct 21, 2015

Maki:
At first I was like, yeah, he looks like my type of male side character. Someone enjoying the show, maybe dropping a few hints and stuff to see people's reaction.....
Then he went and confronted Yuu... I was like NO! WTF are you doing? Don't you dare interfere or mess everything up! And then.....
He casually points out that Yuu treats Nanami as more than a friend. Then I was like OK. You interfered a little and deviated from the cool spectator who was in on the inside info and enjoyed the show but didn't let anyone know that you knew, but you will help the relationship progress. So you are OK in my mind again.

I still would have preferred for him to be the silent spectator watching them interact, but not asking them about it directly, but oh well. It turned out for the better.

Jazz
joined Oct 21, 2015

Maki is not a yuri danshi. He just likes watching love stories unfold. With their share of drama. That this one is a yuri one adds spice, because it must be kept secret, but he doesn't show that he likes it because it's two girls.

And I don't think the author wants to portray Yuu as a demi-something. I think they want to tell of her path to romance and show the whole process of falling in love.

Agreed

Untitled%203
joined Feb 3, 2013

First I thought he was a creep. Then I remembered the kind of personalities the characters of this manga had, an thought he might perhaps be someone who doesn't feel love, but likes seeing it unfold. And I was kind of right! But still... he's a creep.

last edited at Feb 3, 2016 7:35PM

S129
joined Aug 2, 2015

I approve of Maki, and I understand how he feels. He's probably not looking for romance himself, but he cherishes the feelings of watching two people grow in love.
It's like watching a... korean drama.. almost.

And if you think about it, we're the same, we're watching/reading a manga about two girls slowly falling in love; we're the spectators and we want to quietly watch how it all pans out.

EDIT: I've been in his situation, and it's ridiculously hard not to involve yourself or push the relationship along if you feel like it's dragging.

last edited at Feb 3, 2016 7:57PM

Together_forever
joined Jul 6, 2013

Yeah, that guy is creepy. He may resort to blackmail at any given time. I don't trust him. In case he doesn't, I guess he at least is doing a good job pushing Koito's feelings.

Optimized-tonari_no_robot
joined Aug 24, 2015

Yeah, that guy is creepy. He may resort to blackmail at any given time. I don't trust him. In case he doesn't, I guess he at least is doing a good job pushing Koito's feelings.

It's a fundamental practice to never trust a guy in a yuri manga.

Rsz_1screenshot_7
joined Aug 23, 2015

i dont think he is creepy at all, i can see where hes coming from.

Vpbikxq
joined Mar 30, 2015

Maki is an interesting one, but I'm on the side of him coming across as a bit creepy. In particular, despite his insistence on not wanting to get involved in "the play", he still decides to interfere by confronting Yuu. I expect further mischief from him in the future.

Does anyone else see the parallels between him and Yuu? Both of them act quite differently to how they describe themselves in their monologues; that, in addition to both of them saying that they enjoy watching other people's love stories.

last edited at Feb 3, 2016 8:43PM

56239_1311160211088_full
joined Oct 30, 2015

I like Maki... I really like there are boys in this series.. Somehow I am tired with all girls except for guru Yuri and K-on

Untitled
joined Dec 16, 2014

I would like to see a chapter that shows Nanami's side of the story. I'm so curious what goes in her head whenever she sees Yuu. Heh

Tfwubestgirl
joined Aug 16, 2015

It's kind of ironic how people are calling Maki creepy...

joined Aug 19, 2012

Since author have mention earlier there would be character developments for maki, it most likely means he is going to become a more willing as a participant instead of as an audience.

I'm guessing love triangle or he'll create drama to spice up his fetish(?).

76047650-352-k633682
joined Jul 17, 2015

For people who are calling Maki creepy: you are reading this manga, and therefore you are Maki.

Good shit. This series is all about exploring the growth of these characters, and it's got beautiful art to boot. Easily becoming one of my new favorites.

Dark_Tzitzimine
67763073_p3
joined Dec 18, 2013

While the story is developing nicely and Maki is for all intent and purposes a decent guy, there's an undeniable amount of creepiness on his motivations to cherish this play. Mainly in the fact he perceives the events as an spectacle just for him. That sheer amount of selfishness is never a good thing.

2641afdd-9dc4-4327-a1c3-a5b558c33522
joined Mar 12, 2014

Agh reread this again and its so good. Also with the new chapter n Maki unintentionally seeing them both kiss and instead of all other guys/girls who witness these types of things in manga and becoming super jealous/super grossed out he just smiles a little to himself cause theyre so cute together. Maki is just adorable. Plus I kind of liked that he let her know he saw, because it was along the lines of "well I saw, but its cool dw, but if you arent making it public well be careful" which was nice

MAKI IS A GOOD GUY shock horror (but we cant have good guys in yuri mangas what is this craziness)

also yeah Yuu and Nanami are still adorable. I love how naturally their relationship is progressing. ahrh. such cuuuuutieees

Screenshot_2016-12-27-13-58-01-1
joined Mar 23, 2014

I love this so much. Maki-kun, I feel ya. Sometimes I'm so invested in the relationships of others that I don't care about how I would end up.

Omochikaeri_thumb
joined Nov 2, 2013

Maki is just a shipper like the rest of us. Honestly I don't like men at all in yuri manga because most of the time when they're involved it has abuse/blackmail/love triangle and all that but this is not that kind of manga. I truly believe he has good intentions because this manga has proved to me that it breaks a lot of yuri tropes and that's why it's simply beautiful and nothing like I've ever read before.

To reply you must either login or sign up.