Forum › Qualia the Purple discussion

Dark_Tzitzimine
67763073_p3
joined Dec 18, 2013

http://imgur.com/a/IJEVZ
http://imgur.com/a/81FSy

Better translation of the final chapter and the bonus one, courtesy of FutureCop on the Something Awful Forums

As long as you don't see any obvious mistakes in the text that I didn't catch, you can feel free to post these chapters wherever you like (and if you do see some mistakes, let me know and I'll fix them lickity-split). Cheers!

Man, YukarixGakou and AliceXTenjou are a go <3

joined Oct 10, 2014

Can't believe that this series has ended :< It's just too damn good to end!!!!!

Kumo2
joined Feb 18, 2014

Love the extra chapter ^^

Tag%20rock%20snake
joined Aug 16, 2014

Ahh, that Extra. And now I ship Tengou and Alice even more.

joined Jan 8, 2014

Oh for the love of swimsuits(and yuri)...
Ch 18.1 approved shaba-shaba lol :p

Me%20now%20-%20copy
joined May 10, 2015

its good to see them actually enjoying life like NORMAL SCHOOLGIRLS dang this manga was a roller coaster

kagakujinjya
Art
joined Jan 31, 2013

The bonus chapters are goddamn awesome. Gaku Beam and Gaku Underwater Mode.

Marion Diabolito
Dynsaty%20scans%20avatar%20from%20twgokhs
joined Jan 5, 2015

The bonus chapters feel like Volume 2 or a spin-off, though. After Yukari said she couldn't be protected. If it were that, though, the author would have murdered Yukari again somehow by now. Also, why is Yukari still friend-zoning Manabu? Who ever did more to get the girl than her?

last edited at May 12, 2015 7:35PM

joined Sep 15, 2013

This manga was so fucking good, Are there any more extras which remain to be translated?

Dark_Tzitzimine
67763073_p3
joined Dec 18, 2013

Other than someone giving us a better translation of Yukari's letter, that is for the story.

Snowflakes%20icon
joined Jun 22, 2014

It was funny, I am glad to see these 4 get along :D

Tuna%20copy
joined Nov 7, 2014

Well, they're certainly horsing around

Marion Diabolito
Dynsaty%20scans%20avatar%20from%20twgokhs
joined Jan 5, 2015

I loved the translation of the letter I saw because I thought it gave a real voice to Yukari somehow. But everyone just reading now will go "what letter?" since it's missing from Chapter 18 here, isn't it?

Av
joined Nov 12, 2013

Just marathoned the whole thing, really didn't like the direction this story took around chapter 9 or 10, when the story dwelves into infinite universes of infinite Gakus trying to save Yukari, and also the yandere thing later on.
It reminds how pointless all her strive and just about everything else is.
It doesn't matter if one of her possibilities saves her because in an infinite number of universes she never needed existed to begin with. In an infinite number of universes they are married, living happy, in an infinite number of universes they hate each other to death, in an infinite number of universes they really never existed because they were never born, in an infinite number of universes planet Earth doesn't exist or just doesn't support life like Venus and so on...
Her strive is pointless because of this not to mention that the whole story became a huge convoluted mess!
I liked the story "infinitely" better when the author was keeping light and humble with the quantum mechanics, I liked chapter 07 and 08 with the Shrodinger's cat and other things, but the way it dwelved itself so deeply into exploring other aspects of quantum mechanics just turned it all into a mess, which is a shame, this was my favorite manga before it turned into this trainwreck. But in any case, in an infinite number of universes I'm really enjoying the turn of events the manga took.
The author's non-sense reached its apex on the chapter about the anthropic principle and how the universe could have been made to suit humans, when that not only misinterprets the actual notion of the observators but also introduces too much for the story to be able to handle it, convoluting it even more.
The last two chapters were beautiful, though.

One thing I enjoyed was researching terms and ideas that the manga introduced, and ideas related to them, like Dualism, Monism, Physicalism, Panpsychism, etc. As a tour into philosophy and physics this was certainly rich.

Also, I believe the tag should be only sci-fi without supernatural as all of it is based on quantum mechanics and such in a sci-fi nature, even if taken to an extreme, unless I'm mistaking what supernatural actually means.

Animeyuridanshismall
joined Apr 25, 2014

this has been bothering me for a long time now.
in the series page, it has Gaku's name as Hatou Gaku. should be Hatou Manabu (or Hatou "Gaku" Manabu i guess) since Gaku is just a nickname.

Neu
joined Jan 12, 2014

Also, I believe the tag should be only sci-fi without supernatural as all of it is based on quantum mechanics and such in a sci-fi nature, even if taken to an extreme, unless I'm mistaking what supernatural actually means.

Well technically speaking Yukari's eye ability IS a supernatural effect. And Manabu's hand ability can also classify as such (especially since at some point she didn't have to actually "use" the phone to produce the effect). So I think it's still fitting. Oh and don't forget the Plastic Models saving Yukari!

last edited at May 18, 2015 7:35PM

Av
joined Nov 12, 2013

Well technically speaking Yukari's eye ability IS a supernatural effect.

But what breaks the line between science fiction and plain supernatural?
For example see the last two panels: http://dynasty-scans.com/system/releases/000/007/103/Qualia_Chapter_07_pg31.png
Sure the explanations for her eye are pretty deviant and unpractical in a realistic sense but they are still based in scientiific theories, just not very realistically, but that's why sci-fi is about, right?
As for manabu's hand: http://dynasty-scans.com/system/releases/000/010/956/04%20-%207to2aNv.jpg
Hence why I mentioned in my post why breaking the cellphone should have not effect since this chapter stated that she no longer needs the cellphone after it turned out just placebo.
As for the plastic models: they are as on-plot as her ability of fixing Manabu's hand or Tenjou's body. i.e based on the two possible theories her robot-seeing eyes are also based on.

last edited at May 19, 2015 1:07AM

Neu
joined Jan 12, 2014

Well technically speaking Yukari's eye ability IS a supernatural effect.

But what breaks the line between science fiction and plain supernatural?
For example see the last two panels: http://dynasty-scans.com/system/releases/000/007/103/Qualia_Chapter_07_pg31.png
Sure the explanations for her eye are pretty deviant and unpractical in a realistic sense but they are still based in scientiific theories, just not very realistically, but that's why sci-fi is about, right?
As for manabu's hand: http://dynasty-scans.com/system/releases/000/010/956/04%20-%207to2aNv.jpg
Hence why I mentioned in my post why breaking the cellphone should have not effect since this chapter stated that she no longer needs the cellphone after it turned out just placebo.
As for the plastic models: they are as on-plot as her ability of fixing Manabu's hand or Tenjou's body. i.e based on the two possible theories her robot-seeing eyes are also based on.

1) The theory about Yukari's eyes? Yup totally scientific theory. Actually having eyes that not only see things in a different way AND manipulate reality? That's supernatural since no normal human being is able to do both at the current time.
2)The problem I have with the plastic models is that an object without any kind of engine or power source defies laws of physics and thus defies science itself. Even if Yukari's eyes can see humans as something else she should clearly see power sources on them (of any kind) and food/fuel consumption. Yukari DOESN'T see the plastic models as humans so they should be 1:1 the same as the ones everyone else sees. So unless she custom equipt them to have a power source they shouldn't be able to move. Also since Manabu is the one who witnesses them with HER (a regular humans) eyes they should immediately lose all power and return to being plastic models since that's what she sees them as (and Yukari isn't looking at them). In other words the same scientific theory would negate the effects Yukari's eyes have as soon as its witnessed by someone else.
Kinda forgot what I was going for but the gist is unless it's a supernatural ability, the gaze of someone else should automatically cancel out Yukari's ability because they would be of same value

Animeyuridanshismall
joined Apr 25, 2014

^
1) sure it's taken to the extreme in the story, but the way yukari's eyes work is grounded in science. she isnt manipulating reality, her brain simply perceives reality differently than other people. she can see and easily interact with a side of reality that most others can't. that side is always and has always been there. its why gaku can access her super robot powers without yukari's help even though gaku doesnt have robo-vision. quantum mechanics at a macro scale is still science fiction.

2) the problem with how you explained the plastic models is that yukari DOES see them as humans. in fact, there was an entire chapter dedicated to coming to that conclusion. yukari has shown the ability to easily and skillfully modify/reprogram humans to her liking, so there's really no reason to believe that making her models autonomous is beyond her ability. and just because there is no apparent power source doesnt mean that it isnt there. remember, yukari is the only one that has the robo-vision so of course none of us can perceive the engine.

and gaku's power of observation is not and never will be strong enough to override yukari's powers of observation.

last edited at May 24, 2015 4:43AM

joined Aug 12, 2013

Honestly, this manga had a very interesting premise and had a lot of potential. However, the fact that the author spent a hundred chapters (or at least it felt like it) exploring Schrödinger's cat and the theory of alternate universes, well, the author definitely didn't do what s/he could have done with this series. They should have explored more of how Yukari views the world and whatnot. I'm sure I'm not the only one who preferred the extras to the later chapters. Someone needs to to make some doujin!

Wolfsister%20cara
joined Feb 10, 2013

Oh, boy....
My intention was to "start reading" this series. Just start it. That was like several hours ago (I'm not sure when I started actually), and I have not been able to leave it until I finished them.

Read from start to finish in one sitting and impressed by it. Amazing history, from beginning to end.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'll try to sleep two or three hours before dawn entirely ^^"

Thank you so much for such fantastic series to the appropriate staff. :D

67351033_10220293459155029_8283322322757091328_n
joined Jul 22, 2015

I mean damn this manga combines school girl with parallel worlds, time travel, body hopping, a ridiculously large amount of quantum physics based cosmological philosophy, and so many. It's pretty much a mindfuck in a nice schoolgirl wrapper.

Animeyuridanshismall
joined Apr 25, 2014
Terumoko
joined Feb 18, 2013

One of the most incredible things I've read in a while.

To reply you must either login or sign up.