Forum › Saki discussion

Billportrait
joined Jan 17, 2014

loli fanservice \o/

joined Jan 21, 2015

I like to think of Saki as a story set in an alternate universe where mahjong is insanely popular and underwear doesn't exist.

The lolis get the worst of the fanservice (the Eisui loli was seriously distracting, every time she was on screen I just wanted someone to properly tie her miko uniform thingy), but I also remember shots where Nodoka and Momo clearly wore nothing under their skirt. Oh, and no bra either. That can't be comfortable.

I know, I take a manga about superpowered lesbians playing mahjong way too seriously.

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

I like to think of Saki as a story set in an alternate universe where mahjong is insanely popular and underwear doesn't exist.

Um...the first part is actually canon, except it's near future rather than alternate universe.

I know, I take a manga about superpowered lesbians playing mahjong way too seriously.

I can't think of anything more worthy to be taken seriously, actually.

joined Jan 21, 2015

Um...the first part is actually canon, except it's near future rather than alternate universe.

I'd forgotten about the future setting, you're right. I thought the middle school and high school tournaments being broadcast on national TV was unrealistic, but it might not be that much of a stretch. And a story about superpowered mahjong players kind of requires people to suspend their disbelief a little.

K2
joined May 22, 2014

SIgh what is she going to do. So many points behind sigh

K2
joined May 22, 2014

I can't think of anything more worthy to be taken seriously, actually.

LOLOL I Know right

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

SIgh what is she going to do. So many points behind sigh

It's actually getting a bit frustrating, this match keeps getting set up as one she should be shining in, and yet she's just sitting there even after getting a pep talk from her girlfriend. I know she's going to win, the plot kinda depends on it, but this match just keeps getting dragged out with Saki looking pretty slack compared to her opponents.

joined May 24, 2014
joined Oct 18, 2015

Saki anime and manga took so long. Anyway I've read somewhere that Saki took so long because Ritz didn't want to finish it so early. Since I love Saki and Saki itself I like her reason however I don't accept it. If I'm not mistaken Saki was made more than six years ago so its time to finish it. But you can always put a sequel of Saki. I mean after the nationals then their group will compete in worldwide. And since Pro Fujita is looking for representatives for World Junior then she can pick Saki together with Koromo and Jindai Komaki. That two are demons like Saki. Hmm thats another sequel. You can always think for more. Finish the Saki and make a sequel. The mahjong competition all over the countries. Haha I'm from Philipines but I will support Japan because of Saki. Thats all! Dyes

last edited at Nov 15, 2015 2:22AM

7559b8a9-a380-4c4d-84c0-67d9a337a5d3
joined Jan 30, 2013

I have a question, I was fallowing the manga and Anime (finished first season never finished 2snd) and I lost track of where I was in the chapters the main manga. Anyways my question is, is there anything going on with Saki and whts her face... I forgot her name (thats how long I havent been fallowing the manga..). Cause in the first season I know for a fact there was def something going on between the two (other than the fact that they are amazing at playing). But somehow I lost interest in the manga because I was not seeing any progression in terms of (relationship wise) dont get me wrong their relationship wasnt the only thing that made me fall in love with the anime but I guess the battles I found exiting and intriguing kind of fell old...and then when I saw the second season of Saki I was so exited because I thought I was going to see their relationship progress more but the anime didnt really touch anything on them (for the few episodes I saw before I stop watching season 2). Anyways is there anything that progresses between the two OR is it still the same? :/

Rsz_eiji_3_-_kopie
joined Feb 16, 2015

2). Anyways is there anything that progresses between the two OR is it still the same? :/

There are some scenes here and there but it's nothing groundbreaking or ''confirming''.

last edited at Dec 2, 2015 7:17PM

7559b8a9-a380-4c4d-84c0-67d9a337a5d3
joined Jan 30, 2013

2). Anyways is there anything that progresses between the two OR is it still the same? :/

There are some scenes here and there but it's nothing groundbreaking or ''confirming''.

agh ok :/

joined Jan 12, 2014

Saki manga is dragging on it's feet. Soooo slow. Plot doesn't move forward.... Reminds me of watching Dragon Ball Z anime on TV. >_<

On the other hand Shinohayu is progressing nicely. ^_^

Sometimes I just think Ritz-sensei don't really know how to end Saki and is taking her time. But yeah, if the reason for the conflict beteween the Miyanaga sisters is something silly the fans will rage.

last edited at Dec 3, 2015 6:09AM

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

Saki manga is dragging on it's feet. Soooo slow. Plot doesn't move forward.... Reminds me of watching Dragon Ball Z anime on TV. >_<

Sometimes I just think Ritz-sensei don't really know how to end Saki and is taking her time. But yeah, if the reason for the conflict beteween the Miyanaga sisters is something silly the fans will rage.

We've had some hints that something tragic happened that Saki doesn't really remember well, involving a third girl and a building on fire. Saki's story about Teru being angry when she tried to visit is probably tied to that, as is her insistence she has no sister.

joined Mar 15, 2015

We've had some hints that something tragic happened that Saki doesn't really remember well, involving a third girl and a building on fire. Saki's story about Teru being angry when she tried to visit is probably tied to that, as is her insistence she has no sister.

...which, of course, Teru has retracted as of 128, but we haven't seen any follow-up on that. We also have hints that the third girl was or was becoming paraplegic, and might have enjoyed mahjong. It's interesting, but I'd like to see more concrete information about it.

Apparently, in the newest chapter, there's some interesting developments as far as the scores go. Nelly's finally making a comeback, Himematsu and Kiyosumi have switched places (which means Kiyosumi finally is in a position in which they can advance), and Usuzan is once again dangerously close to going bust (which might be interesting to see, and not just because it would make the semifinals end sooner; perhaps Saki could send Usuzan under zero to prevent Himematsu from rising to second, since Kiyosumi's hold on it is extremely tenuous).

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

Either way, it's about time Saki remembers that she actually knows how to actually play mahjong, rather than just walk around hallways intimidating other players.

joined Oct 15, 2014

Still waiting for Saki to shine......

joined Jul 29, 2013

Does this mean saki isn't going to final game...

You%20thought%20it%20was%20a%20pancake
joined Sep 16, 2013

Does this mean saki isn't going to final game...

No, Kiyosumi got second, so they advance to the finals.

Look at the noble savages(heathens?), not using her curse because of misguided honor. That's why Europeans took over the world, probably.

last edited at Jan 2, 2016 4:50AM

joined Aug 23, 2014

OMG Ritz, this is really really unexpected, Kiyosumi really got lucky so final battle Saki really going to be the mediocre one lol

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

I think one of the things the recent chapters have shown is that once you take away her big killer skill, Saki's actually kind of toothless. If she's not doing Rinshan Kaihou, she's not really a threat to any good player. Which doesn't really back up the whole "other players just walking past her are frightened of her sheer power" scenes at all.

idk, I find it hard to be impressed with a one-trick pony. At least in the nationals, people like Hisa or Nodoka are far better players overall, and more of a threat.

Light_blue_429604_i0
joined Sep 28, 2014

Out of topic but is this worth reading or watching? I know nothing about mahjong but I don't mind giving it a try if there's Yuri in the context.

Hamansteam2
joined Jan 31, 2013

Nezchan

I think one of the things the recent chapters have shown is that once you take away her big killer skill, Saki's actually kind of toothless. If she's not doing Rinshan Kaihou, she's not really a threat to any good player. Which doesn't really back up the whole "other players just walking past her are frightened of her sheer power" scenes at all.

idk, I find it hard to be impressed with a one-trick pony. At least in the nationals, people like Hisa or Nodoka are far better players overall, and more of a threat.

I think the problem is, every new character has to be even crazier powerful than the last, so Saki is really tame in comparison. Like after all the characters introduced in Side-A, Saki's powers are pretty much whatever lol.

It's the problem similar to making a sequel to something where the characters gotta save the world; now they gotta save the galaxy!

sen

Out of topic but is this worth reading or watching? I know nothing about mahjong but I don't mind giving it a try if there's Yuri in the context.

I knew nothing about mahjong before watching Saki. After watching it I was really interested in riichi mahjong. A few years later, and I love riichi mahjong. Not particularly good at it, but I enjoy it.

I'd say give it a try, doesn't hurt to watch a few episodes. There is plenty of like yuri subtext and plenty of girls to ship with each other. Plenty of blushing too.

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

I like it, aside from the really kind of bizarre downplaying of Saki herself lately, it's a pretty good series.

First season of the anime seriously pushes the Nodoka x Saki gay, while Momoko x Yumi is quite blatant in the manga. BuCap, a pairing we have a lot of doujins for, are much more subtle in both versions, but it's hard to miss that in the manga at least, after their meeting the two of them are almost always near each other.

I really need to get around to watching Achiga-hen and The Nationals.

Billportrait
joined Jan 17, 2014

Watch Saki + Nationals in Anime, you really don't miss anything and you get a pretty kickass soundtrack

Achiga-Hen sucks until the final episodes (pretty much when Teru shows takes the seat which would be 9-16)

To reply you must either login or sign up.