Forum › Tonari no Robot discussion

A2bcf11834a1918b3f09b4219b2a099f_r
joined Aug 16, 2014

It's getting even better than I expected ♥

Tohka%20not%20crying
joined Jun 6, 2014

It's kinda funny the Introspection that Uko-sensei is doing right now. The whole deal with Hiro/Praha smiling because it increases the likelihood of someone smiling back...and there within the ending where it is clear she is smiling to Chika to get her to smile back, and nothing more...

...or is it?

I think not. Hiro knows to much about cultural norms and whatnot being a high school student, and knows people cry when they're upset, and smile when they're not (at least to the extent she knows). So her trying to get Chika to smile is not something so simple and robotic as simply because she learned to do that; Hiro knows that if she can get Chika to smile, that'd mean she's happy and thereby be cheered up. She's trying to cheer up Chika.

Now as they said, Hiro is currently learning herself how to love someone (specifically Chika), and does a lot of things even without active execution of a function (i.e. putting finding Chika at the Shogi place ahead of actually playing the Shogi game). Essentially the same thing as a subconscious action, which suggests she might subconsciously be starting to have feelings for/realize the feelings she has for Chika. Not sure which at this point.

Now also granted I think Hiro is legitimately a good person, and would want to cheer anyone up, but we have sufficient evidence that she puts Chika at least above anyone else in her life.

tl;dr - the author is cleverly using the way a robot fxs to illustrate how/why humans act certain ways when in love.

DschingisKhan
Khancrop
joined Feb 18, 2013

This is really sweet, but I get the feeling it's headed for tragedy. Either the robot is scrapped or the human is outlasted. Either way, it leaves me with a deep and unsettling foreboding. :(

Jpegnagasawa
joined Feb 19, 2014

should i prepare boxes of tissues for the next chapters?!?!?

Kumo2
joined Feb 18, 2014

Cute! And very deep. And now I'm emotionally invested. This is going to make me cry...I just know it.

Nevri Uploader
Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

ColonalCat

It's kinda funny the Introspection that Uko-sensei is doing right now. The whole deal with Hiro/Praha smiling because it increases the likelihood of someone smiling back...and there within the ending where it is clear she is smiling to Chika to get her to smile back, and nothing more...

...or is it?

I think not. Hiro knows to much about cultural norms and whatnot being a high school student, and knows people cry when they're upset, and smile when they're not (at least to the extent she knows). So her trying to get Chika to smile is not something so simple and robotic as simply because she learned to do that; Hiro knows that if she can get Chika to smile, that'd mean she's happy and thereby be cheered up. She's trying to cheer up Chika.

Not necessary. All you said here is well within the program. Hiro knows that when people cry, they are sad. She knows that smiling can make other smile back. And she knows that in situation where someone is crying, she should try to cherry them up. She is acting according to what she learned and I bet she would react the same way if anyone else was crying in front of her. I don't deny she might felt compel to cherry Chika more, but the case of Chika crying (Hiro's kissing her as repaying "dept") is more than enough prove, that Hiro still don't understand actions driven by emotions. She ask how long is appropriate to kiss someone for crying out loud, because she doesn't understand that length isn't the key part.

Now as they said, Hiro is currently learning herself how to love someone (specifically Chika), and does a lot of things even without active execution of a function (i.e. putting finding Chika at the Shogi place ahead of actually playing the Shogi game). Essentially the same thing as a subconscious action, which suggests she might subconsciously be starting to have feelings for/realize the feelings she has for Chika. Not sure which at this point.

They were playing Go, but I nitpick ;x They didn't say she is learning how to love (ok, female scientist implied it, but I disagree, at least in terms that we think about love). They said she is building her own self, with preferences and attachments. By no means she "loves" Chika, but I had to say they way they set up is really clever. Hiro is a program so she is categorize things in order to mange data better. She had category for children and adults. When Chika said she is a adult, but according to law, she is still a child, Hiro couldn't put "Chika" in either category for the time being, so she ended up creating completely new category "Chika". Everything related to Chika is put here, so things like remembering her ribbons etc. is classify as Chika. That also explains why she ignored game of Go. Whatever on purpose or not, she set the priority of Chika related stuff as the highest one. That's why whenever Chika is involved, Hiro will react to it first. In a way Chika truly is special for Hiro, but still, she's only special because that is how Hiro's program is working.

last edited at Jul 14, 2015 10:43AM

joined Aug 16, 2014

I don't think it being part of the program detracts in any way from the fact the Chika is special to Hiro. The way it works is irrelevant (it is for people, why not for robots?). Also, the objective of the program may be to manage data better, but I think it's very significant that the category is not "non-adult, non-child", but "Chika" and contains "all things Chika".

BolbyNasution
Img_283753346996831
joined Jan 12, 2014

Okay
This is sad.

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

... Maybe they had the fifth episode done but they were like "You know what... ? Let them surfer, a month should suffice"
Geeeezzz! why did it has to end like this... My heart can't deal with this.

I'm so grateful for the translations btw

Nevri Uploader
Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

I don't think it being part of the program detracts in any way from the fact the Chika is special to Hiro. The way it works is irrelevant (it is for people, why not for robots?). Also, the objective of the program may be to manage data better, but I think it's very significant that the category is not "non-adult, non-child", but "Chika" and contains "all things Chika".

I agree that to Hiro, Chika is special. It might be effect of the way her program is working, but still, she recognize her as something "one of the kind". My point was that it doesn't in any way means that Hiro has any feelings for Chika. She is managing data about Chika in special way making it deceptively looking like she cares about her, when in reality, she is only working according to program. It is imo entire point of drama and why Chika is crying. Hiro is still just a robot.

It is also worth to notice that Chika is special only because of the twist. If Hiro met her after she was officially adult, there wouldn't be Chika tag. She would be just adult. Hiro's program is prioritizing Chika over everything else, because to it, she became a unknown that needs to be discovered (at least I think so). You can say that Chika becoming Chika tag is either coincident that could happen to anyone or fate if Hiro does develop feelings thanks to her.

EDIT/ About "I think it's very significant that the category is not "non-adult, non-child", but "Chika" and contains "all things Chika"."

I think it's pretty simple too. To Hiro, Chika was something that was one of the kind, so she was forced to create separate category just for her. It makes sense that category would be named after her.

last edited at Jul 14, 2015 2:47PM

joined Aug 16, 2014

It is also worth to notice that Chika is special only because of the twist. [...] You can say that Chika becoming Chika tag is either coincident that could happen to anyone

That's kinda pointless; both of these happened, and the fact is that a program did somehow discriminate something as "more interesting" or whatever. That's exactly why I say it's irrelevant why it happened (i.e.: "only" the program). You may say it's not love/feeling (which kind of love?), but there's obviously a relationship of some kind that is different from, say, Hiro and their classmates, Hiro and the scientists or Hiro and strangers.

I think it's pretty simple too. To Hiro, Chika was something that was one of the kind, so she was forced to create separate category just for her. It makes sense that category would be named after her.

Exactly. There're no other categories for people of Chika's age, nor do any of them belong to "Chika category".

Nevri Uploader
Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

It is also worth to notice that Chika is special only because of the twist. [...] You can say that Chika becoming Chika tag is either coincident that could happen to anyone

That's kinda pointless; both of these happened, and the fact is that a program did somehow discriminate something as "more interesting" or whatever. That's exactly why I say it's irrelevant why it happened (i.e.: "only" the program). You may say it's not love/feeling (which kind of love?), but there's obviously a relationship of some kind that is different from, say, Hiro and their classmates, Hiro and the scientists or Hiro and strangers.

I agree. However it happened, Chika is special now. That is a fact.

I just wanted to point out that this series is taking this whole robot concept really seriously. Most people will just say that this already means that Hiro loves Chika or at least have some special feelings for her. I just don't feel comfortable with that way of looking at it, as I think, that separating what is just a program and what is Hiro's actual will is what this manga is going for. Saying it doesn't matter, because Hiro treats Chika special anyway, feels like simplifying the issue a lot.

And let's be honest. Chika wants Hiro to love her back. She doesn't want special relationship. She wants love.

EDIT/ My points is that this series is why more realistic and serious about robots learning how to feel than this: http://dynasty-scans.com/series/pure_marionation so I want to give it a credit it deserves and look at it in deep manner as well >.<

last edited at Jul 14, 2015 3:24PM

joined Aug 16, 2014

I don't know about this separating thing... I don't think you can do that. Hiro's the program, but not only the program (kinda like people are biology and more).

And let's be honest. Chika wants Hiro to love her back. She doesn't want special relationship. She wants love.

I'd say special relationship may be love, but maybe not the kinda that Chika understands (or wants).

My points is that this series is why more realistic and serious about robots learning how to feel (...)

Agreed, that's why this is really good, haha.

last edited at Jul 14, 2015 3:33PM

joined Mar 30, 2012

This is really good now, and has some lol moments but I'm torn between hoping for a happy ending that somehow feels like it's not going to come... The process of love is always interesting whether robots or normal humans in stories.

Dynasty%20necromancer
joined Mar 6, 2014

angst incoming in 3...2...

Welp

Dark_Tzitzimine
67763073_p3
joined Dec 18, 2013

This is AMAZING.

Is gonna end in tears, isn't it? ;_;

joined Jul 31, 2014

It's painful to see both of them stuck in this situation. It really bittersweet. Hope it really turn out well ending.

Tohka%20not%20crying
joined Jun 6, 2014

Nevri

To lead before I respond: you must be on the side that doesn't think AI is possible, eh? Hehe. Also, thanks for the clarification on the game. I thought it was Go too, but the researchers talked about "shogi" afterwards so I got confuzzled.

Not necessary. All you said here is well within the program. Hiro knows that when people cry, they are sad. She knows that smiling can make other smile back. And she knows that in situation where someone is crying, she should try to cherry them up. She is acting according to what she learned and I bet she would react the same way if anyone else was crying in front of her. I don't deny she might felt compel to cherry Chika more, but the case of Chika crying (Hiro's kissing her as repaying "dept") is more than enough prove, that Hiro still don't understand actions driven by emotions. She ask how long is appropriate to kiss someone for crying out loud, because she doesn't understand that length isn't the key part.

That essentially is what I am saying though. Hiro is working entirely within her program, and my statement is that a robot working within the program is capable of love. Because even if it embodies itself in a different manner, she still has not done anything differently, and even though the reasons why she did what she did are essentially robotic, they are effectively still caring and specialized.

They were playing Go, but I nitpick ;x They didn't say she is learning how to love (ok, female scientist implied it, but I disagree, at least in terms that we think about love). They said she is building her own self, with preferences and attachments. By no means she "loves" Chika, but I had to say they way they set up is really clever. Hiro is a program so she is categorize things in order to mange data better. She had category for children and adults. When Chika said she is a adult, but according to law, she is still a child, Hiro couldn't put "Chika" in either category for the time being, so she ended up creating completely new category "Chika". Everything related to Chika is put here, so things like remembering her ribbons etc. is classify as Chika. That also explains why she ignored game of Go. Whatever on purpose or not, she set the priority of Chika related stuff as the highest one. That's why whenever Chika is involved, Hiro will react to it first. In a way Chika truly is special for Hiro, but still, she's only special because that is how Hiro's program is working.

Well "love" is hard to define. Everyone and everything is capable of love, there are just different levels of it. It is a word that encompanies the broadest spectrum in the English language. The thing is, Hiro is not doing anything different than a child learning how to love either. The dissonance is that Hiro is a person with young adult experiences, an adult mind, and a child's grasp on the concept of love (among other things most likely).

My best guess is that the feeling will continue to blossom, but when Hiro realizes it's love, Chika may be far older.

Tohka%20not%20crying
joined Jun 6, 2014

Nevri

After falling asleep I realized I need to elaborate just a liiiiitle bit, so here we go (sry if this gets all textwally, Ill try to condense it):

Why would a person try to cheer up someone who is crying?
-They see the person crying
-They connect crying and upsetness, assume other person is upset
-They want the other person to be happy
+Why would they want the person to be happy?
-They like the person
-They think it's the right thing to do

Now if we look at those last two...those are not mutually exclusive. Why would someone want to cheer up the person they like? We can't say "because they like them" because that's begging the question. The reason is because it's the right thing to do. It's the right thing to try and cheer up the person you like. But how does this separate any standard person you care about from the special person they like?

This is where it gets hard. Because that's where this kind of logical deduction ends up I'd bet 80% of the time when involving these questions. Why would you make food for someone? Why would you help someone move into their new apartment? Why would you write a note telling someone you're thinking about them? It usually boils down to "It's the right thing to do, inclusive of both people you like to a certain degree, and the person you love most in your heart". So how can we make a robot to love under logical determination? My own guess is to pick apart one specific person and make them the upmost priority in their life, which Hiro already has done. Again, that's my own opinion though. I obviously do not know for sure.

So I'm betting this series will propose it's own answer to that question. I look forward to seeing it.

Sin%20t%c3%adtulo-min
joined Sep 28, 2011

God, I love the All Dad Team. Seriously, they're hilarious

Nevri Uploader
Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

ColonalCat

To lead before I respond: you must be on the side that doesn't think AI is possible, eh? Hehe. Also, thanks for the clarification on the game. I thought it was Go too, but the researchers talked about "shogi" afterwards so I got confuzzled.

Not really. As in my later posts with none, I just can't explain my reasoning well. I just think making AI capable of learning emotions is far more harder than most stories thinks. Still, I'm not really good with science, so my assumptions might be completely wrong.

Don't feel bad about messing up Go. I was confused for a sec too, cos when they discuss later, they indeed say "true shogi player", when earlier they said that they will play Go and you can clearly see that Hiro indeed is playing Go. I'm not sure if it was intended, mistake on author part or translator part.

Well, you pretty much said same thing as none and I already agreed that he might be right, so forgive me for not giving you detailed respond ^ ^"

ColonalCat
-They like the person
-They think it's the right thing to do

Now if we look at those last two...those are not mutually exclusive. Why would someone want to cheer up the person they like? We can't say "because they like them" because that's begging the question. The reason is because it's the right thing to do. It's the right thing to try and cheer up the person you like. But how does this separate any standard person you care about from the special person they like?

Nevri
She is acting according to what she learned and I bet she would react the same way if anyone else was crying in front of her.
I don't deny she might felt compel to cherry Chika more (because she prioritize her over everything)

I already agree on that with you xD But thanks for taking your time anyway ;P

last edited at Jul 16, 2015 4:57PM

Nina Crepaldi
Fairy_tail_zero_ch03_12%20-%20c%c3%b3pia
joined Dec 7, 2014

A robot learning how to love and being gay, this is awesome. But i feel that angst may come anytime =/ but so far so good

Snowfox
joined Jan 31, 2015

Is there any significance to these chapters ending in おわり instead of つづく? I got real concerned when I saw it on the last page of ch4, until I went back and realized they all had it.

Nevri Uploader
Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

Is there any significance to these chapters ending in おわり instead of つづく? I got real concerned when I saw it on the last page of ch4, until I went back and realized they all had it.

おわり owari means over/end. It usually implies that it's end of series, but can be use just to indicate end of chapter as well.
つづく tsudzuku means to continue which in this case just means our standard to be continued.

D9ec7f8a6a1ac2812ba40e6c1175b396~2
joined May 31, 2015

KISS HER AGAIN, HIRO-CHAN
MAKE HER YOUR WIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIFE

To reply you must either login or sign up.